Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm city - trucks p.3 Trash p.4  (Read 5471 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Re: 6mm city - highway overpass P.2
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2022, 08:23:25 PM »
Fantastic looking buildings!

This is a great thread on basing buildings. I'm another who has flip-flopped between basing styles and prefers more of a diorama approach, but it never works well when you try to accommodate figure bases between structures. I'm sold on the idea of clustering buildings and ignoring any requirements to put figures/vehicles between buildings.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2022, 08:29:18 PM »
Fantastic looking buildings!

This is a great thread on basing buildings. I'm another who has flip-flopped between basing styles and prefers more of a diorama approach, but it never works well when you try to accommodate figure bases between structures. I'm sold on the idea of clustering buildings and ignoring any requirements to put figures/vehicles between buildings.

My final thinking was that tanks shouldn't fit trough back-alleys, and the buildings have flat enough roofs to put a stand of infantry on to represent them occupying the buildings. The mini dioramas will get a bit repetitive after multiple games, but the truth is I do not play that many games each year, I'd rather have some good looking mini dioramas in them than worse-looking highly modular systems. If for no other reason than they will look better on a shelf as well!

That being said, for some of my more military terain like the airfield featured in my weaseltech topic, I do tend to keep the building separate, for those I've been working on basing sheets to also stop that "building in a green field" look. Been trying to figure out a material for a long time, but my partner provided me with textured black plastic rinbinder cover sheets which on first attempt seem to work perfectly.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2022, 08:41:42 PM »
Yes thats where I'm headed. I think if the clusters are not too big, then they can be combined to make larger towns But I don't want to use square or rectangular bases so I'll come up with some other shapes that can slot together. I also thought of having outlying areas (bases) with smaller buildings and other features to provide a more seamless transition between the tall buildings and the lush green fields. Pieces like landing pads, hydroponic food areas and  military checkpoints with walls and so forth.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2022, 08:46:33 PM »
Yeah base shapes are going to be a thing! This first finished one was driven more by the buildings than any other considerations. I'm currently leaning to the idea that I'd rather have a bunch of irregular shapes and the suggestion of roads between them rather than a repeating pattern. I'd like to make some triangular ones with some of those funky corner buildings you get for example.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2022, 09:02:22 PM »
I've tried a few experiments over the years. This 6mm sci-fi basing looked great but there was virtually no flexibility.

I quite like the base shape I used for the vietnam buildings here, the shape worked as stand alone bases, and combined well.

https://6mm.wargaming.info/page38.shtml

I think as long as there is at least one side that fits next to other bases, then the bases shapes can be random.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2022, 09:08:09 PM »
I've tried a few experiments over the years. This 6mm sci-fi basing looked great but there was virtually no flexibility.

I think as long as there is at least one side that fits next to other bases, then the bases shapes can be random.

Finding a pattern that both interlocks AND creates a combination of thoroughfares and bending roads without obvious repetition is a heck of a job. But I think you are on to something with these!

I'm sure I can work  it out myself but do you happen to have the (relative) dimensions of them? I'd like to give it a quick go digitally see how a cityscape on that would work out.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 09:15:37 PM »
Its was a while and they were a commission, so I would guessimate they are 200x140mm. The two short sides combined are longer that the long with (if that makes sense)!

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 09:35:29 PM »
Yeah I figured that one, I was wondering if I was missing any other hidden math in there.

There does appear to be a limit to the number you can tessellate without creating gaps, but since I would leave room between them anyway as roads, those become intersections or spaces for roundabouts.

It's also a pretty good shape to get out of a CD by the looks of it, so I think we are on to a winner here! I'll still be doing funky shapes like wedges with triangular building etc, but this is a nice base grid to work from I do think.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »
That looks cool. I think you could add another shape or 2, eg a rectangle, a triangle with one side the same length as the longest edge, and a 5 sided piece to fit in where the sides join at a right angle.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2022, 09:33:00 AM »
The overpasses are nearing completion, but I can't rightfully start shilling them without vehicles on them now can I?

I've started working on some nice chubby trucks, the first one turned out a bit larger than intended but I'm still happy with the vibe of it.

I started with a simple rolling door delivery truck.

Course, then I wanted one that shows the rolling shutter open and in use.

And then it made sense to have a blank slate version to base variants on.

And a small tanker version, a bit ruggedized as with more lights and a ram bar.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: 6mm city - trucks p.3
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
Adorable!!!

Out of curiosity, what's TSP?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 09:53:34 AM by Sangennaru »

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2022, 10:06:38 AM »
Adorable!!!

Out of curiosity, what's TSP?

Thanks, and my initials, you'll find them on the bottom some stuff I sculpted. I wanted a brand logo or something on the front and figured I might as well stroke my ego a bit  :D

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2022, 10:08:24 AM »
Oh! I should I thought of that. While I know your full name, your initials for me are still YPU. :P

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2022, 05:11:48 PM »

And here is the first pair painted in (not so) shiny brand colours.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 05:39:17 PM »
Dang, you go from high to high, aren't you? Those trucks really bring your tiny city to life!  :-*
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!