Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686505
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: airplane hangar *** air traffic control tower added***  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: airplane hangar
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 03:46:35 AM »
Great rust effect and detail of the interior.

Online Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 09:15:24 PM »
Very nice work.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 09:30:58 PM »
Nice work - thanks for sharing
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »
Lovely job.
I've made a couple of hangers for people.( so you can sell them however you'd need to simplify the build otherwise you'll get nowhere near the man hours you've put in.)
Your solution to the hanger door's is elegant and simple. I spent hours constructing rolling hanger door. Why? because it never occurred to me. To do it this way! lol
So hat's off.
On the plane.again very elegant and simple solution. Using card for plane's is one of my favourite ways to use cereal packet card.
I'd recommend going back to the plane and changing the colour of the windows. As these details are lost within the colour scheme. The blue of the fuselage camouflages the window details. With low texture builds such as card plane's it's really useful to make the details that exists pop .
Such a simple change will lift your model. In fact if you add just a little false shading around the joints of the wings to the fuselage.Along with a multi tone technique on the windows.  People don't even notice it's a card build.

Hey man, thanks for the kind words! You always share and help us to see past some of the short comings of a project and make advances. I will revisit the plane and make those changes as I think you are correct in your analysis, and will post the upgrades. Now on the doors....   ;D it took me a FEW screw-ups to come into the bi fold idea, as I DID try a 3 door slide...was just way too wobbly and the door panels kept getting mis aligned and or falling out...I was ALMOST to the point of tossing it against the wall when i decided to use cloth from a heavy shirt glued to the back of the doors as a "hinge", and got lucky...the top and bottom of the frame was trippple reinforced with card to give it more rigidity and VOILA!!! besides, it would have added almost 7 more inches to the front of the hangar had I kept with the "slider" idea...WAY too big.
 I like how the build process went, as I had never tried this before. I did do it so it would kind of break down for storage, or transport.....

https://imgur.com/DL210iB
 Thanks again man!!! 8)

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 08:47:46 AM »
To EVERYONE, a big THANK YOU for your comments and support!
Cheers,
Carl

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 08:39:43 PM »
I'd noted the thickness of the base and for a second mused that it might be collapsible. Then dismissed it as not everyone's as stuck for space as me.
Turns out I was wrong , not only is it collapsible. But wonderfully subtle in it's simplicity. I'd be quite chuffed if that was my solution.
A lovely project. Next project has to be a control tower,and radio hut ?

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 07:04:54 AM »
I'd noted the thickness of the base and for a second mused that it might be collapsible. Then dismissed it as not everyone's as stuck for space as me.
Turns out I was wrong , not only is it collapsible. But wonderfully subtle in it's simplicity. I'd be quite chuffed if that was my solution.
A lovely project. Next project has to be a control tower,and radio hut ?

OH!!! now there ya go again!!!....making me think of something ELSE to add >:D BWAHAWHAWHAW.....maybe I shall......ONLY the shadow knows............

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
It serves you right .If you hadn't made such a nice model. Then I would suggest seeing how far you could expand the project.  lol

Just to really put the cat amongst the pigeons  :D
I've made airfields for jungle and polar boards.Plus some Back of beyond flavoured pieces.
In terms of interesting and unusual builds.  Airfields are really un explored option.
There's hangers that are less than a third of the depth of your hanger which are more of a workshop affair .That only accommodate  a plane up to the wing so you can work on the engines. Then there's  Hot tents that cover half a plane,depending on its size.(These are great for scenery as they take up no more room than the plane its self.)
The same goes for control towers .They can vary from palm thatched huts ,to builds that look more like Forest fire watch towers, to something that looks like a cricket pavilion, or an art deco railway station. ( in the simplest terms once you've a radio mast model to place next literally any thing from a yurt upwards you've got the start of an airfield. )
In short when you step away from viewing an airfield as a big open space,and treat it more as town/ multi village board.Then it really becomes a fascinating option,That no matter how Heath Robinson you can imagine it. At one point time there will have been its equal somewhere on the planet.
If you said I want to build an airfield in the middle of a town hanging off the side of a mountain. You'd find it's already been done. So it doesn't need to take up the entire board. Infact you could treat it more or less in the same fashion as you would a railway station on a table,and still have a realistically plausible airfield without dedicating half the table to a runway.
It's wonderful can of worms when you take a step back from your preconceived notions of what an airfield looks like.
I only fell down this rabbit hole. Once I'd done a couple of commission's. As people started to ask for an airfield set up like the ones I'd done for,So and So.But not like there's.
So you end up taking a step back .Otherwise your stuck trying to reinvent the wheel.

I know that's a lot of waffle.  But the point I'm trying to make is you've applied considerable ingenuity to this build. I'd  love to see it applied to a full set where you've just run with it .

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 12:38:08 PM »
I'm impressed with your work & I agree with
what Tin Shed has said.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Very cool work altogether. I like the fact that it breaks down. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 12:47:47 PM »
Thanks all!!...............Tin Shed.........well OK you talked me into it....I think I have settled on a tower style that SHOULD fall right in with the hangar...........I will post as soon as I have finished it.
Ciao4niao!!
Carl

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 04:34:25 AM »
That is a nice piece: it will look impressive on the table.

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: airplane hangar *** air traffic control tower added***
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2022, 04:23:05 PM »
Cracking stuff.
The control tower really gives an additional layer of context to  the previous builds.
Only note I'd add is maybe consider adjusting the windsock.
As the major draw back of a cocktail stick's even when painted. Are they will always look like cocktail sticks.Unless you remove the point.
 What ever you choose to do is been definitely worth all the effort.

(All you need now is some fuel oil storage and  scatter terrain lol

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Re: airplane hangar *** air traffic control tower added***
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2022, 09:00:48 PM »
Love that hangar.

Nice to see that you included the doughnut lunch box for the controller in the Tower...just need a chair, a flask of coffee and a radio and it's all ready to go.