Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Mullahs and Goat herders for NWF?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: 28mm Mullahs and Goat herders for NWF?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 07:04:41 AM »
Many great suggestions already provided above.  May I add this fellow from Perry Miniatures:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/sa15-mounted-armoured-command-one-armoured-emir-one-armoured-army-standard-bearer-and-one-unarmoured-religious-leader/

As for goat herders, or any other denizens of the NWF for that matter, it should be easy to take either the Perry Miniatures or Wargames Atlantic plastic Afghan Warriors and simply assemble them without weapons, or cut away undesired weapons! 

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:29 AM »
MiniPigs,
Thanks for the glowing review  lol

The 1st Corps figures need a little context. They've no real link to NWF in fact they're both in the Follies Pulp range.
I'll agree it's a pretty naff picture of metals. They do colour in far better than the picture would suggest.
As mentioned the mule riding set is a  caricture done simply  for Mad Guru.Rather than post the green to America at the height of their postal disruptions.( and because other Laffers wanted a copy) I asked if Simon and Mick would put it in a mould.I don't think I've even got a copy ::)
As for the figure in the Altar/ idol set he's holding a mask. As it's part of a range of Pulp cultists. That due to covid ended up being delayed. There's even a Yeti in line with areas mythos.
I've added a couple of pics just to give it context for the mask.
As you can see NWF is not what that the figures are intended for.
The Mad Guru is out of stock because it was run was for Laffers originally. Simon and Mick may spin more off as their production schedules allow.  As of today it's  served it's purpose. I've no intention to use my free mould space on another mould once this mould gives up the ghost. So love it or loathe it. Like all my other Laffer sculpts .The Mad Guru is a limited production piece.
Hope this helps clarify their context.

As for Actual NWF .I've absolutely no knowledge past watching Cary Grant movies. ( and one of them has a crop duster attack him)So I'm of no help in your quest.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 02:40:17 PM »
I've said it once, I'll say it again Mark..... fabulous stuff and can't wait for 1st Corp to get those released. Meantime, I'd be happy to see the Mullah and Mule set come back into stock for my NWF project as the Mullah will be a prominent character. I've send an email query to 1st Corp asking if there's a timeline to re-stock this set for those who are interested in acquiring it.

Thanks Mad Guru for bringing the page to life for the rest of us!!!  lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:45:14 PM by Bravo Six »

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 05:43:16 PM »
Many great suggestions already provided above.  May I add this fellow from Perry Miniatures:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/sa15-mounted-armoured-command-one-armoured-emir-one-armoured-army-standard-bearer-and-one-unarmoured-religious-leader/

As for goat herders, or any other denizens of the NWF for that matter, it should be easy to take either the Perry Miniatures or Wargames Atlantic plastic Afghan Warriors and simply assemble them without weapons, or cut away undesired weapons!

That figure from the Perry mounted Sudan command set seems good but what to use the other two men on the barded horses for? Maybe command for a pulp Sultans cuirassiers unit. Hmmm.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 05:46:52 PM »
MiniPigs,
Thanks for the glowing review  lol

The 1st Corps figures need a little context. They've no real link to NWF in fact they're both in the Follies Pulp range.
I'll agree it's a pretty naff picture of metals. They do colour in far better than the picture would suggest.
As mentioned the mule riding set is a  caricture done simply  for Mad Guru.Rather than post the green to America at the height of their postal disruptions.( and because other Laffers wanted a copy) I asked if Simon and Mick would put it in a mould.I don't think I've even got a copy ::)
As for the figure in the Altar/ idol set he's holding a mask. As it's part of a range of Pulp cultists. That due to covid ended up being delayed. There's even a Yeti in line with areas mythos.
I've added a couple of pics just to give it context for the mask.
As you can see NWF is not what that the figures are intended for.
The Mad Guru is out of stock because it was run was for Laffers originally. Simon and Mick may spin more off as their production schedules allow.  As of today it's  served it's purpose. I've no intention to use my free mould space on another mould once this mould gives up the ghost. So love it or loathe it. Like all my other Laffer sculpts .The Mad Guru is a limited production piece.
Hope this helps clarify their context.

As for Actual NWF .I've absolutely no knowledge past watching Cary Grant movies. ( and one of them has a crop duster attack him)So I'm of no help in your quest.

I didnt realize that the sculpts were based on a sort of exaggerated sketch. The 1st Corps photo doesnt help and they do look better painted up. Having said that, I want a set too.

The car with the turbaned side riders is extremely cool. So these are all coming out with other turban wearing minions?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 06:25:21 PM »
Short answer Yes,and Yes.

There's a thread over on the Pulp board( I think around August  last year.) Where I posted some, buy not all of the my musings for this project .

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 07:41:43 PM »
That figure from the Perry mounted Sudan command set seems good but what to use the other two men on the barded horses for? Maybe command for a pulp Sultans cuirassiers unit. Hmmm.

I must confess to the same dilemma:  the chap on the right has been part of my NWF forces for many years, while the two on barded horses have been sitting in my collection of unpainted figures patiently waiting inclusion somewhere!

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 11:44:21 PM »
Short answer Yes,and Yes.

There's a thread over on the Pulp board( I think around August  last year.) Where I posted some, buy not all of the my musings for this project .

You mean this? https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=132732.0

So it's a little bit Gunga Din, a little bit Temple of Doom and a Little bit The Mummy?

I particularly like the Gunga Din Guru in the back of the car with the blanket over his head. Tell me you did 4 cultists with tommy guns?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:52:15 PM by MiniPigs »

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 11:46:37 PM »
I must confess to the same dilemma:  the chap on the right has been part of my NWF forces for many years, while the two on barded horses have been sitting in my collection of unpainted figures patiently waiting inclusion somewhere!

I've been thinking of doing a sort of quasi pulp emir's army and have thought of using the Perry Egyptian cuirassiers as his bodyguard. The men on the Barded Horses could be supremos. Thanks for pointing the mullah out.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 09:29:19 AM »
Yes that's the one.

More or less hit the nail on the head,it's  a mix of actual regional influences and their adaptation to a cult uniform.

There are some Thompson carrying cultists.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 10:07:08 AM »
hey,
Just to put my 2 coins in :
use the Perry plastic afghans like my Mad Guru

here depicted as a thug leader for my Gunga Din project.

cheers
Eric

Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 03:44:18 AM »
Mad Guru

In Snooping around your site, I was wondering where this officer in the long poshteen could be bought?

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/search?q=Afghan&updated-max=2020-08-25T00:59:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=1&by-date=false

Also, are there any metal Afghans that dont blend in with the other makes?

So Far, I have Studio, Artizan, Iron Duke and EMprss Jazz Age. Ive held back from Foundry and Perry bc Ive heard that they are too much smaller?

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 05:26:43 AM »
For what it’s worth I’ve mixed Perry and Empress quite happily. The foot figures seem fine though I keep the mounted in seperate units. In my opinion Foundry can be a bit more hit and miss but their “tribal”  Afghans on foot (I love those figures) normally sit ok, the civilians and mounted less so. That said I find some civilians still look fine (usual arguments about us not all being the same size apply and perhaps more applicable with individual civilians than with whole units). Be warned, the  Foundry horses are much smaller.
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 07:39:14 AM »
MiniPigs,

I'm guessing you're referring to this figure, who serves as my 28mm General Roberts:

If that's the case, I'm afraid he is not an off-the-shelf item, but a conversion.  The good news is he's a very simple conversion, using a FOUNDRY Franco-Prussian War officer from their PRUSSIAN COMMAND STAFF pack (FPP001) and an Empress spare head from their Anglo-Zulu War range...

Available here: https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/franco-prussian-war-of-1870-prussians/products/fpp001-prussian-staff-group

Available here:

https://www.empressminiatures.com/zwa1-heads-1009-p.asp

Combined, with a touch of green-stuff (or any similar modeling material) to fill-in any gaps in the poshteen's fur collar, they made this:

As seen below, I also swapped out the head on the Prussian courier figure for a smooth-shaved and much younger-looking Empress foreign service helmet head:

Hope the above proves useful.  Also, in case you're interested, the converted Indian courier in the first pic I posted was a similar conversion, I believe using some other Foundry figure and a head from a figure in their Sikh Wars range.

Re: Wargames Foundry & Perry… I have figures from every company you list and speaking for myself I don’t see any problem at all with size comparability when it comes to Perrys, who make many excellent figures for the Second Afghan War & NWF.  It’s true, the old Foundry NWF, Indian Mutiny, etc. late c19th colonial ranges are a bit smaller than most of those other companies, but the difference is minimal enough for me to accept.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 08:28:04 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 05:56:54 PM »
@Mad Guru.

Thanks. I feel like you also used that Foundry French Franco-Prussian war High Command set.