Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Magic and Tech: Play Testing Take 3

(1/6) > >>

The Officer Factory:
Hello and good day to you all. Allow me to explain a little bit of myself and then the game that I wish to have you all play test.
I have been recommended to pos ton here twice so here we go.
I have been a war gamer officially back in 2006 when my sister bought for me and my brother the Games Workshop Battle For Macragge set but we have been war gamers years prior with my dads Avalon Hill Panzer Blitz game.
I have joined a wonderful war gaming club after stumbling upon them in an article of Wargamer Illustrated called the HAWKS. In my time with them, I have designed 3 war game rules; one of them failed as it was too big for me to do. Well, it was this failure of a game that my current 4th and longest developed game has sprouted from.

Years and years ago, back in middle school, I tried my hand in writing and the story series I written were a total mess. Like it has everything in it! So I stopped. Fast forward to as of 2022, 7 years ago, I revisited this world which I developed and refined it to where it makes more sense than what I made.

In this world setting, magic is disappearing and science is ruling supreme as in the worlds past, magic use has led to disastrous consequences. In the big war eighty years ago, magic bombs were developed in place of nuclear weapons and this ripped holes to the demon realm and the world has been fighting them on and off again since then.
The world is split between two neighboring super powers; one of which has tried for 1500 years to conquer the other.
Well the two nations have been at a state of Cold War with minor border skirmishes but lately, there has been a harsh uptick of attacks from cultists and terrorist groups. The mad days of science and technology merging to create abhorrent monstrosities are coming back but there is one type of trooper; a merger of magic and technology that has been able to stave off these threats; Combat Witches.
Utilizing the Ground/ Aerial/ Marine Combat Magical Apparatus or GCMA, ACMA, MCMA; combat witches use these leg fitted devices to propel them towards danger where even high powered weapons have proven to fail against many adversaries.
Magic and Tech is a 28mm platoon plus game where players can field a platoon in a semi skirmish style game. Platoons are split into squads which if applicable are split into fire teams. Shooting is done via D10 with the enemy unit To-Hit score being the base plus/minus modifiers times rate of fire. Units are pinned if 6x D10s of 6+ are rolled despite modifiers. Subject to change.
All units have two actions with a wide variety of single actions or dual actions that they can do. This includes a nothing action.
I am developing this game with the hope of creating minis for it someday.
As of now, I have 4 units for play testing with proxy paper target boards and round bases with the troop position in the fire team.
Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as I will post updates every two months; this includes new content to test out as well as rules updates.
I wish you all, have fun.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgTDdpMyL-XkcFmEJEr3tu2uFJ6QwiSV/view?usp=sharing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ottsunzzcx5err/Magic%20and%20Tech%20V0.12%20Packet.zip?dl=0

fred:
Welcome!

Sounds like there is still a lot going on in this idea!

I take it by the mention of fireteams and squads that your non-magical side to the game is pretty modern in its take? Which is a novel approach. From the initial read I was thinking perhaps a 19th Century take.

The Officer Factory:
Thank you for that. Yes, it's a modern to near sci-fi approach to a fantasy world setting. I can go full wild on this project but I have learned to restrain myself and take the play testing slow! I have more squads and support options to add; both on and off board. There are mecha, tanks, helicopter and air support, drone support, mages, dog handlers, vampires, giants, centaurs, you name it; it will probably be in here.

fred:
I suppose the question is as you get more to Sci fi is where does magic fit in compared to technology or psionics? And fantasy creatures vs aliens. Or compared with weird WWII

figures sound like they could be challenging too.

Not trying to be negative more to understand where this idea fits with established concepts - not that it has to!

The Officer Factory:
The magic aspect could be conventional with the combat witches utilizing their magic to project shields or increase their strength, accuracy, personal things like that as there could be a wizard in the back summoning, healing, buffing or de-buffing, countering other spells all the while trying not to be sniped while summoning/ conjuring their spells.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version