Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Building a Wild West Town - One last time (update 12/09/23)  (Read 19082 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Building a Wild West Town - Purgatory gets an upgrade (update 04/02/22)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 04:57:31 AM »
For Terrement, vertical board siding is pretty common out here in the western USA - usually board and batten style (each board join is covered by a narrow, thin board).  Horizontal boards are usually lap siding.

For dinnerfruit, glad you commented about the colorings of your town - I was wondering at the all green building.  I'd guess a paint job like that would have been pretty expensive in the era.  I expect to stay with the 'dungy and dingy' when I get around to painting/staining/coloring Lodgepole Creek.  Color will be limited to signs and trim I expect.  Just my take. 

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 05:06:29 AM »
Really nice work but shouldn't there be some stovepipes or chimneys? I presume that a Hotel would probably have a kitchen of some sort, rather than a separate cookhouse.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 08:21:47 AM »
Thanks 15 - great info.

Although the buildings are for a Wild West town I wanted to see whether some might do doube/ triple duty in my ACW/ AWI and TWI games. The green house is one such attempt and is styled after one in Volume 4 of the old Touching History series. To my British eye it could pass for all four settings though for the AWI period it would it have a broader front, probably no balcony and smaller window panes.

Carlos - I thought about doing chimneys and stovepipes as the original article and photo have them but decided stovepipes were a detail too far though some upcoming buildings will have stone chimneys.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 01:23:26 PM by tinned fruit »

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 09:48:11 AM »
Building four for Purgatory and the first appearance of coffee stirrers - here being used for a roof.

I wanted some of the buildings to be useable in my TWI/ ACW games and this sort of outbuilding is perfect for that.

More photos on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/tinnedfruit/

Next up Property Developers erect a building that forces the Purgatory Planning Committee to rethink the current zoning restrictions or lack of them.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Building a Wild West Town - Purgatory gets a 4th building (update 07/02/22)
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 04:41:03 PM »
Nice job on that!  Again, a very versatile piece!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 07:53:46 PM »
The blue windows are only noticeable very close up. I thought about using acetate but then would have to either cut out window holes are colour the area behind. This way I just glue prepaint paper behind the windo pain and stick it on the building. Lazy but at 3/4 foot on the table you really don't notice it.

It just happens the first couple of buildings have boards running up as I'm planning on doing a mixture for variety - my town, my planning rules...  Plus if they run up I don't have to cover the joins which to my mind gives a better look.

All the roofs are removable though from experience I just forget there are figures inside so they are MIA for a while. The floors inside the two storeys are removable as well  - habit I suppose though there are no internal decorations.

The way you do the windows looks effective.  I mistakenly thought you did cut the window holes and put the blue behind.  You are right about the distance factor as well.

WRT removable roofs, I know that some folks sacrifice appearances for utility and when the building is occupied, they just play with the roof off.  For ambush type games, they start out with a number of "possible" locations equal to their actual number plus some extra depending on the scenario and the opponent.  So until the "possible" moves, shoots, or takes some action it just remains undetermined. Like anything that disrupts the table display in a game (status markers, event markers, different colored casualty rings that get hung on the figures,) is a trade-off.  We all have our preferences for how much or how little is there.  Like having a dead figure on its side with a massive manhole cover attached to their feet sticking up.  ;) 

As for the boards running vertical rather than horizontal, absolutely your call.  I didn't think they'd have planks that long to use, so the comment was just based on that.  Your way to mix it up will give a more varied look and besides, it looks like Gary Chalk did it the same way.

Finally, I like your new building just posted.  Looks great and useful for many settings and time periods.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 01:26:18 AM »
for terrement, first, I don't see that anyone answered you re issue 160 - the magazine is north of issue 400 now and it is a monthly magazine so about twenty some years old.  And regarding boards, 16' would not be uncommon, 20' certainly possible, and 24' not impossible.  The easy answer for those who wish is to scribe some offset lines to give the impression of shorter boards.  And offset they need to be or there will be problems (well, in the 'real' world)

Loving building number four - you have a knack for the coloring of wood.

Now, this pending establishment, will there be 'eagles' and will they be 'flown'?  And I'm not talking about gold eagles, neither!

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
Re: Building a Wild West Town - More fun with Balsa (update 10/02/22)
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2022, 12:06:06 PM »
Fifth building for Purgatory which started off as an utility building but although I liked the finish I wasn't particularly happy with my choice of base. Plus I wasn't clear in my own mind what the building would be used for.

Luckily "The Temperance Society" then helped with their request for a place of worship to marshal their forces in their efforts to stop the town losing its moral compass. There are rumours that the Society has sent to Ireland for three tops priests and their awarding winning sheep, Chris, to help in the good work.

The cuppola is removable so should the evil property developers manage to gain title the bibles can be easily be replaced with booze.

I'm toying with the idea of a mine - think Scooby Doo - and perhaps a railway station with telegraph office.

From Norwich - no not the quiz of the week but J Clamp & Son's General Store.

It's not clear whether the owner is the original J or his son But he likes to serenade his customers with "come buy my vegetables"
Corrugated iron roof this time for variety ( and lazyness).

I've managed to talk myself out of recreating a mine themed modular dungeon and just go for the mine opening! Though I did remember that Ainsty Castings do a brilliant one with everything you'd ever need. Ainsty Castings under YakkumMines.

This is the sixth building for Purgatory with about another five on the assembly line.

More photos on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/tinnedfruit/

Thanks for looking.

Phil

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 12:14:14 PM by tinned fruit »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 03:08:50 PM »
I find myself wondering if J. Clamp is any relation to Jed Clampett?!  :D

Nice buildings - and keeping that cupola separate sort of adds a building to your tally, well, not quite but you know what I mean.

Oy, that yellow!  Sure glad you limited it to the facade (aka false front) of the building.

More nice work.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2022, 03:12:37 PM »
Lovely collection of builds  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
Re: Building a Wild West Town - Two more buildings (update 15/02/22)
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 09:17:26 AM »
Thanks for all the kind coments.

Last of the posh houses that will do double duty as the parochial house in Purgatory and the big house on the Lazy T ranch.

Replacement barn completed for Purgatory. Smaller footprint than the "Livery Stable" barn and a lot less roof to look at...

More photos on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/tinnedfruit/

Tomorrow sees the first of only two brick built structures in Purgatory parish - The Black Bank.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:28:10 AM by tinned fruit »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 09:25:35 AM »
They are coming up a treat. Makes me think I have to go back and refurbish mine. Also need to build the TTCombat mine site that I bought.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 09:58:07 AM »
They are coming up a treat. Makes me think I have to go back and refurbish mine. Also need to build the TTCombat mine site that I bought.

Plus one to that. :-[

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
Re: Building a Wild West Town - The Bank & Love Shack (update 17/02/22)
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »
The famous Black Bank of Purgatory - the ony brick bank within 200 miles - which has never been robbed though many have tried.

Rumours say that the name comes from the colour of the souls of those who work there or warn of the perils of going overdrawn...
Foamcore frame with brick etched paper for the walls.

Rather predictably immediately labelled "The Love Shack" by my ever supportive family. I did point out this has a coffee stirrer roof rather than tin and there was no glitter on the front porch...

This utility building will serve equally well on the ranch, mine or on the outskirts of Purgatory.

More photos on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/tinnedfruit/

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Building a Wild West Town - The Bank & Love Shack (update 17/02/22)
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2022, 09:40:49 PM »
More good looking buildings.  That's quite the collection you're amassing there.  How's it look all together?