Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:36:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Papal Zouaves for the Italian Risorgimento  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
28mm Papal Zouaves for the Italian Risorgimento
« on: January 19, 2022, 04:16:27 PM »

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2022/01/28mm-papal-zouaves-for-risorgimento.html

I haven't been using the blog much recently and haven't put anything on there about the new Big Project here at Yarkshire Gamer,  I am building up both sides for the Battle of Mentana in 1867 which was a fight between a Papal / French force and Garibaldi.

Lots of info and pics on the link above. The figures are 28mm Plastic Perrys Zouave bodies with metal heads from Steve Barber Models. I will get round to putting up a post with the Garibaldi troops as soon as I can.

Regards KenR
The Yarkshire Gamer

"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Re: 28mm Papal Zouaves for the Italian Risorgimento
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
They look great!  :o

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 05:24:58 PM »
Nice to see these chaps in action. I think the uniform stayed much the same when some served in French republican armies in the second phase of the FPW.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 05:58:45 PM »
Hello
very interesting..and very well executed..the grey/blue colour is perfect..few infos are available on the flag of this unit but probably the one you painted is the right one....I've read that an original flag is still owned by an ancestor family connected with a zouave officer but they want to remain anonymous ...maybe just the officer has nt get the right uniform..Pontifical Zouave officers   should also wear  Zouave style uniform but with high boots .. FPW/ACW tunics and trousers were worn by officers of other units of the Pope's Army but not by  Zouaves officers.

anyway that is my absolutly favourite unit and period
me too i own the minis, 28mm Mirliton and Foundry,  for the two armies that fought  that battle which i deeply studied since 25 years together with the full less known campaign in Lazio provinces during 1867..i live not too far from Mentana and toured the battlefield in quite a few occasions..
Happy that you're staging a similar project ..if you need any infos (uniforms, Toes, detailed maps ecc..) or would like to corresond about the battle or Campaign of 1867 i'll be glad to help you...i've a huge archive and i've probably read or own the quasi totality of known sources on that battle..including rare unpublished ones...
during one of my last visit, few years ago, by the way together with a pair of foreign amateur historian/miniature collectors and good friends that i hosted in Rome,  also interested in the Risorgimento in the South, we had the amazing opportunity to access a private old rural house in which we discovered the evidence of an heavy fight..with the bullet holes still showing the place where some die hard garibaldini resisted the last attack from the Zouaves.(as usual the supposed to be "Hero of Two Words, Mr Garibaldi had just escaped leaving alone his troops.)..you can see one of the picts i took on the spot and, in the second pict, a rare painting depicting,  that very action in front of the arcade entrance that led to the house we visited..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:20:16 PM by italwars »

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:22 PM »
Hello
very interesting...my absolutly favourite unit and period
i also own the minis, 28mm Mirliton and Foundry,  for the two armies that fought  that battle which i deeply studied since 25 years together with the full less known campaign in Lazio provinces during 1867..i live not too far from Mentana and toured the battlefield in quite a few occasions..
Happy that you're staging a similar project ..if you need any infos (uniforms, Toes, detailed maps ecc..) or would like to corresond about the battle or Campaign of 1867 i'll be glad to help you...i've a huge archive and i've probably read or own the quasi totality of known sources on that battle..including rare unpublished ones...
during one of my last visit, few years ago, by the way together with a pair of foreign amateur historian/miniature collectors and good friends that i hosted in Rome,  also interested in the Risorgimento in the South, we had the amazing opportunity to access a private old rural house in which we discovered the evidence of an heavy fight..with the bullet holes still showing the place where some die hard garibaldini resisted the last attack from the Zouaves.(as usual the supposed to be "Hero of Two Words, Mr Garibaldi had just escaped leaving alone his troops.)..you can see one of the picts i took on the spot and, in the second pict, a rare painting depicting,  that very action in front of the arcade entrance that led to the house we visited..

That's great to hear, I'm relatively new to the period which is less popular here in the UK than it is over in Italy.

I have most of the figures for the Battle now and I'm cracking on painting them. I plan to put a display game of the Battle on around the UK game shows hopefully from October this year. Any help or information you can provide regards the battlefield would be appreciated, I'm starting to build up pics of the out lying buildings like the Convent and the Santucci House.

I hope when Covid dies down to be able to come out and have a wander round myself.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
yarkshiregamer@gmail.com

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 06:35:31 PM »
of course i can send you any infos you need...i'll write you on your mail ....if there is interest here from other gamers i could post something ...as for example some views from old books and battle scenes..

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 06:44:19 PM »
a few uniforms of the Pontifical Army from old books and rare contemporary uniform plates on the Pontifical Army of the late period 1867-70 just discovered

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 06:55:40 PM »
Many thanks italwars some great pics there 👍

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
Excellent! I love you what you've done! Great use of the Perry Zouaves!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 05:46:30 PM »
Lovely work on the Papal Zouaves, they look great. I don't know very much about this period but I am finding this thread really interesting, some lovely uniforms on show. I must start to do a bit of digging myself. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:26:03 AM by jambo1 »

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 07:26:03 PM »
Very nice
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 12:01:59 AM »
Those Zouaves look great!  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 03:12:20 PM »
Nice to see these. I studied this period back in High Scholl many moons ago, and have been interested in it ever since. I am currently slowly building an 1860 Neapolitan force, to be followed by the Garibaldini.  I do plan to follow this with a Papal force. It should look quite good once I finish it, and I thank you for the idea of using the Steve Barber heads.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 05:02:23 PM »
Beautifully painted unit!

Very inspiring.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 05:41:04 PM »
Hi Ken,

Very nice. Very esoteric. Love the biscuits.

Tell me, how are you selling those Italian holiday plans to your wife? lol