Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Christmas BIG battle Venice vs HRE  (Read 24554 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Venitian Army project (new pics Elmeti)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »
Thank you very much. It’s very nice to hear from a fellow Field of Glory Renaissance enthusiast. I have tried several renaissance rules and so far this one is the one that mostly captures the early renaissance flavor for me. Warlord Pike n Shoot is ok for friendly gettogethers, but Filed of Glory gives a more historically rewarding game. 

As to on-line sources. I just googled Elemeti miniatures and TAG Elmeti to see what other people have done. I got hold of a very old Osprey book, but that was of little use. I try to use a lot of red and white, but otherwise paint what I like. It’s the flags that do the real trick.

Cheers
Erik

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 10:28:58 AM »
Veramente molto belli.  :-*  Keep on painting!
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 11:07:17 AM »
Very nice, my Venetians will be at Beachead this weekend allied with the French. Agree on Petes flags!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
Thanks, Erik - much appreciated.  My FoG:R armies are mostly ECW and 1690s, but inspired by Stuart Mulligan's "Army Royal" blog and thread on here, I recently visited eBay for some bits and pieces for an Early Henrician (France 1513) army.  As is the way with eBay purchases, I ended up with a lot of extra Swiss- and Italian-looking figures and decided a Venetian army would make good use of them.

BvW
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 07:13:20 PM »
Cracking stuff Erik   :-*

Great to see more Italian Wars stuff  8)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Venitian Army project (new pics pike and Elmeti)
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 12:34:10 PM »
Inspired by the nice commends and a weeks’ vacation, I have bee busy with my Venetians.

As I mentioned earlier my next pike unit would be all red and white. I managed to pull through and paint them all just red and white. It’s the same miniatures as the last one, and with the same flag, they actually don’t look that much different.  All the amour also helps break up the overall appearance of the unit, but I still think the next one will be less uniformed. I rarely use the unit in blocks of 24 anyway, so the end result will be mixed colored units.

My plan is to get all the pike and elmeti done first, and save the arquebuses and light cavalry for last. The stratiots will be one of the last units, as I’ve never painted those before. The reward unit.

Sticking to this plan, I painted up the last elmeti unit. I painted them much the same way as the last ones with a good mix of striped clothing. This way they don’t have to change between work and carnival  lol lol. The pictures where takes a different day, so let lighting is somewhat of.

The last pike unit is already on my painting table. I plan is to do them different from the two before, with different colors and maybe not so many striped pants, but let’s see if I manage or if the urge to paint lots of white at red takes over.

Cheers
Erik

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 03:21:49 PM »
Excellent brushwork!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2022, 01:12:08 AM »
At a slight tangent, is there anywhere on line that lays out the distinctive colours of each of the various Italian city states?  Obviously, Venice is red and white, but what of Milan and the others?

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 10:11:50 PM »
To date most of my Italian Wars collection consists of Landsknecht and Gendarmes!

This is great stuff and is inspirational and after seeing this and reading "Mercenaries and their Masters" I'm keen to expand into a few Italian states now- - just wondering around what time these figures are suitable for?
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2022, 06:02:16 AM »
To date most of my Italian Wars collection consists of Landsknecht and Gendarmes!

This is great stuff and is inspirational and after seeing this and reading "Mercenaries and their Masters" I'm keen to expand into a few Italian states now- - just wondering around what time these figures are suitable for?

The TAG Italians and Spanish are best suited for roughly 1503-1512, so Cerignola and Ravenna respectively. They're pushing it for Cerignola TBH. They could be stretched forward a little IMHO but certainly not backwards. For example, the Perry Miniatures Mercenaries range (both in plastic and metal) is much more suited for Charles VIII's invasion culminating in The Battle of Fornovo 1495.

So, for Fornovo mini's such as these (apologies for posting images on your thread Erik):

For 1512 then the Spanish on this thread of mine are good (page 15):
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118962.210

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Venitian Army project (new pics mounted crossbows and last pike)
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2022, 11:34:36 AM »
Another double up update for my Venetian painting progress. The last units of pikemen is now done. I tried as hard as I could to something different this time, with less white and red. I also gave them a second flag. Not so much to make them different from the other two units but more because I want to field them in two units of 36, in line with the rest of my renaissance miniatures. Two unit with two flags each.

Second unit up is my mounted crossbows. Again, I went for a dominance of red and white, but made small alternatives to cut down on the uniformity. I always struggle with mounted crossbow unit that seem to make it on to every renaissance miniature table. They are not very good fighters or shooters, so why did the different nations keep using them in such great numbers? At least they look great, so that will get them some of the way.

Status now, is that since my start Sunday January 2th I have painted 72 pikemen, 24 elmeti and 12 mounted crossbows. For my normal painting pace that is really quick. I hope I can keep it up, and that I do not get distracted and run of in a different direction. A fate that only too often befall wargamers lol lol.

All that remains now are 48 arquebuses and 12 stradiots. First round of arquebuses are already primed and waiting on my painting table.

Ps: Atheling so sweat posting pictures on my thread. I love your model, and might end up copying it for my Venetians.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2022, 12:30:19 PM »
Fine work Erik  :-*

Funnily enough I'm working on some Italian Mounted Arquebusiers myself at the mo' :)

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2022, 10:40:11 PM »
Great painting, and really nice to see those large pike blocks. You paint the striped hose very well!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2022, 11:02:08 AM »
Looking sharp.

I think mounted Crosbowmen (and mounted archers for that matter) should be thought of as a kind of dragoons. They did not really fight on horseback but are just a highly mobile shooting unit.

Offline Mesh

• Student
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2022, 01:08:28 PM »
Fantastic work, really tempts me to start yet another project before i finish my current ones at my usual snail pace :)