Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Christmas BIG battle Venice vs HRE  (Read 24897 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Venitian Army project (new pics pike and Elmeti)
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »
Excellent looking units - very crisp and clean.

My thoughts on the mounted crossbows are similiar to. Dr Zombie’s - early dragoons. Probably easy and cheap to raise, also mobile so probably very useful to have around to scout and skirmish pre-battle. Perhaps less useful in the main line of battle, but good to exploit any gaps?

Perhaps it is a bit of rules thing, with heavy units not really suffering extra fatigue or other negative factors that the lighter troops wouldn’t.

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2022, 07:34:55 PM »
Lovely looking Venetian force,great colour pallet and where would we be without Pete's Flags for this period!
Best Iain

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 11:04:58 AM »
Lovely force. Looks very cohesive.

Really good to see the TAG minis painted up too. They're some of my favourites.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2022, 01:22:40 PM »
Thank you for all your compliments.

First unit of 24 arquebuses are ready to join the fight against the enemies of Venice. I always base my shooters with four miniatures pr. base to distinguish them from the HtH combat units. Later I might go for some bases with just three miniatures pr. base to represent light, skirmishing shooter units. The unit deals from TAG come with full command, so I think they represent firepower that is more concentrated than skirmishers. I will order some more arquebuses from TAG without command to represent the skirmishers later.

Dr. Zombie and I have plans for our first game. We are going to try out the Furioso ruleset out. Hopefully we will remember to take some photos. I am also looking at Renatio et Morten at the moment. They also have a dedicated Italian Wars supplement.

Cheers
Erik

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
Re: Venitian Army project (new pics arquebuses)
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2022, 01:48:42 PM »
these look great

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Venitian Army project (new pics arquebuses)
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2022, 05:40:33 PM »
My Venitian have had their first taste of battle. In true “new-painted miniature” style they not only lost the battle but also every single combat they committed to. Nice to know that something’s never change  lol lol.

It doesn’t matter though as the real treat was seeing my army on the table for the first time. They still miss their stratiote but where supplemented by a Perry pike block and a unit of Perry light lancer cavalry.

We used the furioso rules. They are fun and fast. I’m not sure what I think of them though. The initiative rules mean you have very little control of your troops. On the other hand, your troops are very quickly committed and conclusion is achieved almost as quickly.  I still have my fingers crossed for the new “To the Strongest” renaissance version from Simon Miller. We used smaller armies than recommended, but this was a learning game, and also one where priority was on my newly painted Venetians.

The last stratioti unit is already well on the way. After that I need a few (just a few extra miniatures from TAG) and then I will turn my attention the building some nice Italien looking terrain. Hopefully with lots of help from the new 3D printer I bought together with Dr. Zombie.

Cheers
Eriks

Offline MGH

• Scientist
Re: Venitian Army project (First battle)
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2022, 08:26:32 PM »
Well, they might have lost but they sure look damn fine doing it !

Excellent looking armies.

Glad you liked Furiouso rules, we tried them but we did not find them fast. After one game we realized we could never take that rules set to a convention where games need to be finished in usually four hours. We used big armies though, probably too many units.

Really enjoying your work and this thread, thanks!

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2022, 09:37:10 AM »
Very nice collection

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
Well, they might have lost but they sure look damn fine doing it !

Excellent looking armies.

Glad you liked Furiouso rules, we tried them but we did not find them fast. After one game we realized we could never take that rules set to a convention where games need to be finished in usually four hours. We used big armies though, probably too many units.

Really enjoying your work and this thread, thanks!

Truce be told you might have a point about Furioso not being the fastest game around. In our game the one pike engagement was over quite quickly as my poor Venetian where charged in the flank but vile landsknechts. I could however see these engagements going on for quite some time, as loses are not that high and the moral roll not that evil. However, your armies do break very fast, so a few decisive engagement can make for a very quick game.   

As I said earlier, I have my hopes for Simon Miller. I really like TtS and hope the renaissance supplement will be just as good.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2022, 08:51:40 PM »
tremendous looking units.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2022, 05:26:17 AM »
Some great battle shots.  Thanks

"Very pretty...too bad they can't fight"  ;)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Venitian Army project (final unit)
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2022, 07:23:32 PM »
I have not posted for a while, but that doesn’t mean I have not been painting. I have just not found time for photo and LAF posting. The last unit, the stradioti, is done. So now, all that remains are the two command units. Actually, I have already almost finished them, so hopefully they will be up in the following week.

The stradioti are a really cool unit, and I look forward to using them. They are a nasty combination of light and close combat cavalry. Plus they look awesome.

Cheers
Eriks

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2022, 06:10:34 AM »
Superb work - I have a small Venexia army in 15 mm which is still waiting for paint; I am very relieved I had gone for a later period, as that means no stripy lances! Seriously though, superb and very inspiring work there, those stripes are fantastic - as is everything else.

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2022, 11:32:19 AM »
What a beautiful and inspiring army  :-* thank you for sharing  :)
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming

Offline bluechi

• Librarian