Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help getting 3D printed figures  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Help getting 3D printed figures
« on: March 18, 2022, 07:10:40 PM »
I would like to obtain some 3D printed figures, but I don’t have a printer and I’m not interested in getting one either. I frequently see figures I would like to have on FB, KS, etc....

What would be the best option? Should I buy STL files and send them to a printing service? Who own the right to the files then? Me or the person doing the printing? How can I know, before hand, the price I would have to pay for a finished mini? Etc.

Basically, I would like to find someone who can print, for me, miniatures from files I got from retailers/artists/sellers on the net or physical minis of their own creation.

In the past I have ordered 3 figures from Hero Forge. These were printed, physical minis, not digital files. In total, I paid just over $109 for these 3 figurines ($86.00 US or £63.00). So, I'm looking for a place where I can send files for them to print the figures I need.

I’ve look on Shapeway and Etsy for printed minis but some are crazy expensive.

There are two things I'm looking for in particular; proximity (located in Canada) and, more importantly, reasonable cost.

Thanks for the replies,
Cheers!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Help getting 3D printed figures
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »
I would like to obtain some 3D printed figures, but I don’t have a printer and I’m not interested in getting one either. I frequently see figures I would like to have on FB, KS, etc....

What would be the best option? Should I buy STL files and send them to a printing service? Who own the right to the files then? Me or the person doing the printing? How can I know, before hand, the price I would have to pay for a finished mini? Etc.

Basically, I would like to find someone who can print, for me, miniatures from files I got from retailers/artists/sellers on the net or physical minis of their own creation.

In the past I have ordered 3 figures from Hero Forge. These were printed, physical minis, not digital files. In total, I paid just over $109 for these 3 figurines ($86.00 US or £63.00). So, I'm looking for a place where I can send files for them to print the figures I need.

I’ve look on Shapeway and Etsy for printed minis but some are crazy expensive.

There are two things I'm looking for in particular; proximity (located in Canada) and, more importantly, reasonable cost.

Thanks for the replies,
Cheers!

Do you have a Maker Centre, or something similar near you? You could contact them to see if they would print stuff for you for a nominal fee or free.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 08:03:45 PM »
A fair number of the 3d print services on Etsy also offer print on demand. They vary pretty wildly in price, too.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 01:12:28 AM »
Yeah, just fire off some messages to Etsy sellers, or look up some shops.

Hero Forge and the like are comically stupidly priced...particularly considering the vast amount of options for miniatures out there currently.  An avergae 3D printed miniature with a good resin printer runs around $8-9 on Etsy, less if you're ordering a set - closer to $5-6.

Ideally, of course, you'd find someone local, or a friend who has their printer dialed in.  I have a couple firends who can print me stuff when really needing something specific.  Do NOT pay $30+ for a single printed miniature.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 01:15:58 AM »
You paid $86 for 3 figures and you think other prices are crazy expensive.  I think that $86 is crazy expensive! 

I agree, hunt about for a local who can do this for you and charges reasonable prices.  The material cost of a print is 'stupid cheap' so keep that in mind.  I was lucky to find someone near me who does this as a business - though I have yet to find out his rates.  I am lucky to have almost every figure I've ever intended to acquire.  Just two or three things still to track down.

Good luck in your hunt.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 01:27:01 AM »
Contact the seller of the STL files. They often have licensed resellers of their items in a print on demand service. I do this with my 3d printed terrain I design.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 06:36:57 AM »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 01:43:16 PM »
You paid $86 for 3 figures and you think other prices are crazy expensive.  I think that $86 is crazy expensive! ...

I think that too... still I wanted these perticular figures  :-[

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 01:43:52 PM »
Contact the seller of the STL files. They often have licensed resellers of their items in a print on demand service. I do this with my 3d printed terrain I design.

I'll do that, thanks! 8)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 01:46:06 PM »
A fair number of the 3d print services on Etsy also offer print on demand. They vary pretty wildly in price, too.

Thanks for the advice, I spotted a few canadian sellers on Etsy. I'll contact them to see if they offer "print on demand" services. Cheers! 8)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 11:42:37 AM »
Calimero, where are you based? I ask as this will determine which resellers are covering your area.

As for printing out minis, I have done this before provided the person has the license for said model. 3D printing is a hobby onto itself but I have found loads of things I can do with it that open up a world of possibilities.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »

I'm located in Canada (province de Québec)

Offline commanderkaiser

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 01:46:16 PM »
Have you checked any FLGS? Few stores local to me have both resin and fdm printers and will print for a fee. You're basically paying for the electricity, materials and time really and you supply the files so it might work out a lot cheaper.