Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690929
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army UPDATE: 10.2.22 Bowmen  (Read 3231 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
So Peterborough War-games Club is planning a Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses campaign in late spring/early summer and I've decided to jump in.

The first models I've painted are for this command stand - This stand of 3 models is solely to indicate which unit my leader is in and will be superfluous to the actual number of models on the table, so utterly unnecessary to the game, but it adds period flavour and looks cool.

So, may I introduce you to the lord of my forces - Sir Bernard De Liasmith, Earl of Matthews and Carrow, with his standard (the big one, indicating the lord's presence and position on the battlefield) and his banner (a canary on a gold and green field.)
We are anticipating many defeats, an occasional shock victory and relegation at the end of the campaign!!  lol lol (with sincere apologies to Wars of the Roses afficiandos, Medieval heraldry experts, those of you who are not from the UK and don't know about Norfolk or do not follow English Premier League football and have no idea about who Norwich City FC are! lol lol)

These are of course Perry plastic models, painted using GW and Foundry paints, layered over a GW Leadbelcher undercoat. Banners hand drawn and hand painted.

Next up: the Men-at-Arms on foot...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:36:20 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Andy's Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »
Lovely, looking forward to seeing the rest  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
C’mon! Let’s be havin’ you!!
Very nicely done indeed.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »
C’mon! Let’s be havin’ you!!
Very nicely done indeed.

Yup, Put 'sit scriptor esse habens vos' (the text on the standard) into a Latin to English online translation tool and that's what you get!!  :D

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 04:39:21 PM »
Lovely work Andy. I hope someone else is continuing the football theme and representing Peterborough United for me. It's the perfect excuse to lose all your games...!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 04:41:33 PM »
 :)Excellent!  Looks the part. Heraldry is the business  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 03:33:29 AM »
Great looking command stand.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 03:23:35 PM »
Lovely! Masterful work on the banners!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 07:27:51 AM »
Cracking as ever Andy

Cheers
Tony

Offline glenning

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 09:26:15 AM »
Looking good!!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments thus far!

Here is the first unit for my Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army for our Spring/Summer campaign. These are Sir Bernard De Liasmith's bodyguard of men-at-arms in full plate armour.

I decided to keep some of the Norwich City yellow and green theme within the unit but decided to add some extra colours on some of the models - obviously Sir Bernard is happy to allow them to display their own family livery colours while they fight beneath his own banner. I've also followed the majestic Captain Blood in painting the weaponry shafts in the livery colours. (I have no idea if any of this kinda thing ever happened - I'm painting what I think is gonna look good, not necessarily what is historically perfectly accurate!) I like the effect I've achieved for what has been quite a speedy paint job by my usual standards!

These are of course Perry plastic models, undercoated with GW Leadbelcher spray and highlighted up. I wanted a very clean and clear silvery armour on these chaps as they are the elite of the army and I'm quite pleased how well they came out given how difficult I'm finding Perry models to paint - they are very slight and small compared to most everything else I've ever painted (My El Cid army is all Perry, but I painted that almost 15 years ago and I was a better painter then!)

Enjoy these pics (not the best light to take them in this evening, but they'll do for now) and keep an eye out for more soon. I've built mounted men-at-arms, mounted light cavalry and billmen today, so I'll get undercoating tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:34:19 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Andy's Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army UPDATE: Men-at-arms
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 10:51:51 PM »
You might have been a better painter when you did your El Cid army, but there’s nothing wrong with these recent figures! Beautiful work, IMO.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Andy's Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army UPDATE: Men-at-arms
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 04:52:44 PM »
Well, despite being kicked up the backside by a nasty dose of Covid, I've kept the modelling and painting up! Here is my unit of Handgunners (bidowers under the army lists we are using.) 8 points done - 22 to go for the battle retinue ten I have to paint 10 more points for the full retinue...
I'm pleased with these and am looking forward to starting work on some billmen next.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Andy's Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army UPDATE: Handgunners
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 07:19:16 PM »
Terrific stuff.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Andy's Lion Rampant Wars of the Roses army UPDATE: Handgunners
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 11:52:52 PM »
Progress is being made at a rapid rate here at Guitarhero Towers, aided by 10 days isolation due to the dreaded plague!

Here is my unit of Retinue Billmen (Expert Foot Sergeants) for the club campaign. These were painted in the same style as the hand gunners previously posted. Truth to tell, they are a bit rough and ready up close but at tabletop distance they look just fine. It's more important to get the army done than to spend hours making it 'perfect.'

This unit illustrates the '3,2,1' basing approach very well. It means I can dispense with movement trays yet still not have to move over 60 individual figures per turn and still remove casualties easily. I like the look it achieves as well.