Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HYW Coastal raids  (Read 5728 times)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: HYW Coastal raids
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 02:52:36 PM »
Not a direct link but after a quick search it was in issue 56 of wargames soldiers and stratergy, titled  'Ships, Sea and Sandwich - Warwick at Sea'. Don't have the issue anymore but you should be able to find a copy.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 10:57:03 AM »
I’d recommend ‘Invasion’ by Duncan Cameron:
https://www.waterstones.com/book/invasion/duncan-cameron/9781398112445

Just a note regarding this book recomended by fellow LAF member Levied Troop.
Buy it. The book is exactly a wealthy font of info regarding the several raids during the HYW plus some attempts of invading England, the economic state of both countries, their people, the damage inflicted, the allies and the plannings. A great reading highly recomended. :)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 12:18:03 PM »
I seem to recall such mentioned in Froissart's Chronicles. However, it is a good many years since I read it. It is the seminal work on the period and anyone really interested in the Hundred Years war should read this primary text. It is also very funny in many parts especially his descriptions of peasants and the Scots.
 :`
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froissart%27s_Chronicles
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 12:20:31 PM by Golgotha »

Offline skirmishman

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 08:44:40 AM »
There was a French raid on the coast of Sussex during this period ,they landed at Rottingdean   burnt the church  there ( you can still see the scorch marks  allegedly ) before being stopped by a scratch force  led by the Abbott  of Lewes . I read that in an old issue of Practical Wargames now defunct . It  would be a good scenario for Lion Rampant rules.

Offline Sheikdjerboutiy

• Student
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 08:15:29 PM »
There were a lot of raids by both sides, although the French ones die down once the entire adult male coastal population of Normandy is essentially dead or unwilling/unable to fight, on account of being continuously conscripted and dying en-masse (e.g.Sluys). Most of the French coastal raids are between 1338-1339, although the channel islands will be attacked again later on by a certain welsh pretender called Owain, who will go on to try to take over Wales, with the support of a number of French and Breton mercenaries.
Nicholas Bechuet lead the raid on Portsmouth, Guernsey, Sark, and Jersey.
Robert VIII de Bricquebec and Hugh Quieret lead a raid on Guernsey and Sark. Followed by Walcheren and Southampton.
After this point England effectively organises coastal defence militias to react promptly, walls are repaired, and the coastal cities take it seriously. Jersey, Southampton and Portsmouth are attacked again, except not successfully and now with heavy losses, as well as an attack on Harwich. Although they do successfully sack and burn the tiny village of Hastings. The French do group together and attempt an attack on the cinque ports but dont accomplish anythign except burning a few villages before being chased off, after which most of the Genoese desert. The English then return the favour and start raiding as well as providing letters of marque for local townsmen to do so, which quickly became a popular source of income. After attacking the french fleets at Bolougne and Dieppe, the battle of Sluys sets back French naval capability for the rest of the 1st phase of the war, after a failed attempt to relieve Calais, the French dont manage much else, and so resort to hiring the Castilians.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 08:18:54 PM »
There was a French raid on the coast of Sussex during this period ,they landed at Rottingdean   burnt the church  there ( you can still see the scorch marks  allegedly ) before being stopped by a scratch force  led by the Abbott  of Lewes . I read that in an old issue of Practical Wargames now defunct . It  would be a good scenario for Lion Rampant rules.

Wasn't there an article about this raid in a WSS some years ago?
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 08:34:42 PM »
Interesting question, I never much thought about it.

In the first part of the HYW, after Sluys, France was not a powerful naval power. Brittany was in civil war 1341-1364 and not much pro-French for long after. Parts of northern Normandy were hostile too in the early HYW, belonging to Charles of Navarre, etc.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:53 PM »
Indeed it did. The Battle of Blackpool Sands.
Thank you. I´m enjoying very much. Its exactly what i was after. :)

Fought with sticks of rock?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 07:02:26 AM »

If anyone is interested, I can send them a scan of the Rottingdean Lion Rampant scenario that I wrote for WSS 89 some years ago. DM me your email address.

Wasn't there an article about this raid in a WSS some years ago?

Yes  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:06:17 AM by Ninefingers »

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 10:59:54 AM »
If anyone is interested, I can send them a scan of the Rottingdean Lion Rampant scenario that I wrote for WSS 89 some years ago. DM me your email address.

Yes  :D

Copyright?

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2023, 09:21:49 AM »
Copyright?

Mine, as far as I can tell. A text document can be provided instead if required.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2023, 09:52:07 AM »
Mine, as far as I can tell. A text document can be provided instead if required.

Ah, apologies, I didn't realise you were the author.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2023, 11:54:25 AM »
No prob  :D