Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690989
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Props for a Miniatures Game  (Read 6972 times)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
Re: Props for a Miniatures Game
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »
I'm not saying, Bako... After all, you're the one talking like a Deep One!

he's not a pirate, he's a sea-going family ancestor, who, by rights, should have died long ago......... - No sir... not going to chance giving away the position!

Western Union telegrams printed the words out on a strip of tape that was then cut and pasted to the card - Isn't there some sort of font like this? Just type it out, print, and presto!! - instant telegram.

A lot of games, especially at conventions, have "briefing notes" for players. How about doing those briefing notes up as telegrams, or a mix of telegrams and other 'period' documentation - When playing with the local friends I would print up insanity & death certificates with the character's name on them. Then gleefully hand them to the newly insane and recently departed as those events occurred during the course of the game, to keep all for their selves... frame, mount on a wall, wipe their backside, whatever.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:46:51 PM »
Too dry out there anyhoo.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »
Isn't there some sort of font like this? Just type it out, print, and presto!! - instant telegram.

Oh, I can photo shop one easily enough with the typewriter font and a googled picture, but I'd like to get some real 180lb cardstock telegram cards to put the text on.

Though it seems I probably should be worrying more about deep ones just across the border.

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 09:00:41 AM »
I probably should be worrying more about deep ones just across the border.

Do they get as much rain as the state of Washington up there in British Columbia?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
Do they get as much rain as the state of Washington up there in British Columbia?

More or less, yup!

HPL Historical Society Fonts includes a really nice package of free fonts, and an even nicer CD of paid-for fonts. The free package includes "HPLHS Telegram" which is "a detailed replica of the type used on real Western Union telegrams in the 1920s and '30s."

Dafont also has an entire Typewriter category - go as mad as a cultist and install dozens of typewriter-esque fonts on your system!

Dafont's also one of the great timesinks of the internet, if you're even remotely interested in design, graphics, type and related fields. You can find yourself downloading dozens of fonts, and wondering where they all came from in the morning...

(The HPLHS also has free prop documents in PDF for your insanity-provoking pleasure. Good stuff.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:11:10 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »
More or less, yup! - All the better for our briny friend, eh?

A neat Cthulhu font -
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/cthulhu-runes.htm

Supplement with these Alien fonts -
http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/4965/index.html

This site is a good source for handwriting fonts & others.
http://www.1001freefonts.com/

Offline Bulldog

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 02:58:17 AM »
Gawd this forum is full of such a good resources!   8)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »

I really couldn't say. We live in a special biogeoclimatic zone compared to the rest of BC. I does rain a lot though.

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »
Western Union telegrams printed the words out on a strip of tape that was then cut and pasted to the card - easy to do. I just wish someone would print up bundles of blank telegram cards.

For each of my players, I have a small brown 6x9 (inches) envelope with their character's name on it.  On the front I spread some white mactac to write them messages for their eyes only.  On the back is a white mactac place to write me queries or requests as well as a telegram space covered in clear mactac.  We use write-on wipe-off lumocolor markers to save paper.  The inside of the envelope houses their character sheets, any info on their inventory, snippets of information they've gleaned (like newspaper clippings, old photos, diary entries, etc.).  If anyone misses a game date, it is really easy for another person to play the character in a campaign by simply handing them the envelope with the character name on it.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »
When playing with the local friends I would print up insanity & death certificates with the character's name on them. Then gleefully hand them to the newly insane and recently departed

Couldn't cope with the volume of printing for our local players - one memorable session opened with investigators splitting up into 4 groups (to keep all exits covered), whilst two were sneaking up to a dark hotel door (at night).
They knocked on the door (!!??!!) before opening it.
The first one entering let out a blood-curdling scream as he was cut open by a machete, the second made no sound as his severed head bounced out of the door and across the hotel stairs, so in the space of less than five minutes play we had two characters dead, and two (stumbling over the grinning head as they ran to help) temporarily insane.
Quite a heavy session though, we had another three fatalities and one permanently insane that same night, although the campaign itself continued weekly for about three months.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:44:56 PM by fastolfrus »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)