Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Will there be a tabletop game in the world of Witcher?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Re: Will there be a tabletop game in the world of Witcher?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2022, 08:21:16 AM »
If you want to play a skirmish game where a small group takes on hordes of monsters, then I'd recommend playing Nightwatch. Can be played solo or coop. I'm sure there's some 'unofficial' Witcher figures floating around on Etsy or Thingyverse.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 08:26:39 AM »
If we're talking about nation vs nation, I agree, but I was speaking about a potential small-scale skirmish game, which would invariably Witchers vs. monsters, and if anything would be more of a hunt than a skirmish. That sort of thing is more suited to a system built for solo play, as even with players willing to play the monsters, you still severely lack for variety of forces.
Why could it be only monster hunt? Its like if every game set in LotR world could be only about carrying a ring. Why couldnt be there other scenarios? The focus of the games, books and tv-show is on Geralt, but that doesnt mean, that there couldnt be other things there.

That's the main problem with a Witcher-based battle game (i.e. larger in scale than a monster hunt or a small skirmish with 5-10 minis per side) - it shouldn't really feature witchers, since they were just hired monster slayers. Geralt was dragged into a political plot because of the Law of Surprise, and - as robh pointed out - the main characters of the book don't really take part in the big battles (IIRC they do fight in one, but get involved by accident).
And the game would feature mostly human armies, with some wizards and occasional dwarven mercenaries or elven & dwarven guerrillas. To be true to the books and games, there should be no monsters in any army, maybe apart from some summoned demons or a dragon (but these are featured in the games only).
I'm aware that ASOIAF is a fantasy game with almost no fantasy creatures, but it does feature the characters from the book supporting the armies.
If we stick to the books, then you are right. But on one side, it doesnt need to be so (every new product is getting farther away from the books): in LotR, there were only one time, when an army of ghosts fought in a battle, and still, in the tabletop game, you can choose them for every battle. On the other side, I dont think that it would be so bad thing: the Thronebreaker game also doesnt really involve witchers, and the monsters have more or less an own faction, and it worked pretty good. And another possibility is to use monsters as a neutral, "AI" controlled features on the battlefield (as I know something similar is planned for Star Wars Legion).

I think the simple answer is "probably not" and it there was it would not do what most people want of it (as the answers in this thread show, most people want different things. We tabletop gamers are an awkward bunch!).

No reason not to game in the Witcher World however, just pick the rule set that best suits how you want to play (single figure skirmish, small unit skirmish, mass battle or whatever).
Yes, but that doesnt mean, that if there would be some kind of tabletop game, it couldnt be successfull.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 11:22:30 AM »
.....in LotR, there were only one time, when an army of ghosts fought in a battle, and still, in the tabletop game, you can choose them for every battle.....

Only one of the many nonsensical options that turning the LotR Strategy Battle Game into a primarily tournament/competition rule set has led to......Gondorian Armies of mainly Fountain Court Guards led by Boromir of the White Tower and Isildur (with the ring)?.... :-[

I don't think anyone said games set in the "Witcher" world should only be monster hunts, rather, that that was probably the best way of actually using the iconic characters in a tabletop game format.
I really enjoyed the TV series and would certainly play a small skirmish game centred on the hunts and character led fights of the stories (especially if there was a good option for figures) but have no interest at all in building armies for the various nations involved in the wider background world.
There are similar issues with creating games for the backgrounds created by David Gemmell, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Jordan, Raymond E Feist et al; plenty of scope, but apart from possibly key characters are they really identifiable enough to warrant extensive figure ranges. What you would need could just as easily be represented by Warhammer figures painted differently?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2022, 11:52:35 AM »
There are a couple of The Witcher board games.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tabletop minis game at some point but I would imagine it more like Modiphius' Elder Scrolls game than a mass battle game.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
I would say, pick what figures you think best represents the different factions paint and convert them up. And play them with what every rule set you preferer for mass battle.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous