Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690739
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Biblical Skirmishes in 1000 BC  (Read 5769 times)

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Ravenfeast: Stronger than Lions (Biblical Skirmishing in 1000 BC)
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2022, 10:34:46 AM »
Very nice painting. :-* :-* :-*
A project to follow. :)

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
Re: BIBLESHOCK! (Biblical Skirmishing in 1000 BC)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 12:30:58 AM »
Well, here's a rather strange update for you.

No new pictures to show as yet (work is underway, slowly, as usual), but, as I was planning out and painting up my second warband (which were going to be David's mercenaries), I started to become disatisfied with Ravenfeast's warband creation system. Even though it's perfectly adaptable to this setting and in many ways almost perfectly geared toward it, I've decided it's both a bit too abstract and a bit too bland for where I want to go with the project at this juncture.

As such, I've taken a rather radical step and have re-named the project "BIBLESHOCK!" Why? Because I've decided instead I'm going to use a set of rules I discovered early last year called FUTURESHOCK!

Futureshock is actually a dystopian, near-future gang-war skirmish game, which you might call "Necromunda-lite". It was released in "micro-zine" format over 2020 and 2021, with 7 issues so far, each one adding new rules and content to try and make the game a richer experience. The most interesting issue so far has been, in my view, issue #5, which was named ACIDSHOCK! This is unique among all the other issues because Acidshock is a standalone "fantasy" adaptation of Futureshock which caters for the archaic arms and armour typically employed in fantasy worlds, rather than the guns and crowbars from the game's usual setting.

With a tiny bit of rule-tweaking (namely, adding rules for shields -- strangely neglected -- and javelins), I am of the belief that Acidshock would make a fine Biblical-era skirmish game, centered around a 'gang' of fighters (3-11 models), which is more my thing, rather than the sizable warband (12-20 models) that Ravenfeast suggests.

So, that is the current trajectory I am on, and meanwhile I shall continue to paint the Israelite fighters.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:50:01 AM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: BIBLESHOCK (Biblical Skirmishing in 1000 BC)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 01:14:24 AM »
Sounds interesting I take it these are said rules your going to be basing this on. https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5981/Crushpop-Productions

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
That's right!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:51:16 PM by tikitang »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 10:20:57 PM »
Interesting use for the Futureshock rules. I use them for a WWIII game/project. I have played a few games with the system and find it to be pretty straightforward and nimble. I'll be interested to see how it works for an ancient skirmish game.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 08:26:08 PM »
Enjoyed your background at start. Interested to see what minis you use for Israelites.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 09:01:33 PM »
Enjoyed your background at start.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Interested to see what minis you use for Israelites.

I am using Essex Canaanites.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:30:13 PM by tikitang »

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 10:08:10 PM »
Enjoyed your background at start. Interested to see what minis you use for Israelites.

Take a look at Mini-Figs. Their catalogue is very poor,
but they do hide some Gems in there. About a year ago
I ordered a few samples from different ranges, just to
see what they were like. I got some very nice (& 28mm
compatible) Biblical figures. In the 28mm Ancients range.

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=19&CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=276

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2022, 10:13:24 PM »
I don't know if this will work
(copying a picture)
but here goes.

If it didn't work you'll just have to try Mini-Figs yourself.

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/images/catalogue/MDSIS04.jpg
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/images/catalogue/MDSIS05.jpg

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 04:52:30 AM »
I did consider those guys, and I may yet use them in the future, but there's a very limited selection of them -- only four different Israelite spearmen. Their Philistine range is substantially better, though. I might get some of those later this year if I decide to expand this project.

Newline Designs have a great range of biblical figures, of course,  but I find there's something about them which just seems a little "static". Hard to explain.

Then there's Castaway Arts, which I haven't yet considered as an option, mostly because I don't fancy ordering all the way from Australia!

Essex' biblical range, on the other hand, I absolutely love. It's not as broad as I'd like (they don't make Philistines in 28mm!) but I love the look of their models.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 04:59:21 AM by tikitang »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 05:32:03 AM »
Whilst not precisely "Israelite" I would recommend looking at Warlord Games' Bronze Age figures. These were originally produced by Cutting Edge Miniatures and are very, very nice. I'm sure many of the figures generically labelled as "Canaanite" could serve as Israelites.  Basically these are "Levantine" and quite distinct from Egyptian, Hittite or Kingdoms.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 07:47:22 AM »
Oh yes, of course - I forgot I had also considered Cutting Edge. They have both Philistines and generic "levy" troops (plus a specific Hebrew command unit) that would make great Israelites. I had heard that while their sculpting is superb, they're a little small and spindly?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:37:46 PM by tikitang »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 10:46:41 AM »
Tikitang, they are certainly "slighter" than some but I wouldn't describe them as small and spindly. I have mixed them with Newline quite easily. I find Newline quite "hit and miss" . Some are very nice, such as their Hittite range, others such as their Sea Peoples are IMHO definitely 2nd rate. That said their website is very good so you can certainly see what you are getting before parting with your cash. 

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »
Yeah, I bought some Newline models (Israelites, Canaanites, Midianites and Sea People) for my earlier 'Biblehammer' project in 2019. I quite liked their Israelites, but after a while I grew to really dislike the whole sculpting style, especially after I tried to mix them in with the massively superior (in my view) Essex Biblical figures. It was doing that which turned me off NLD and made me switch to Essex.

NLD's website is okay, but some of their models lack pictures, which is rather irritating!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:08:54 AM by tikitang »

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
Re: BIBLESHOCK! (Biblical Skirmishes in 1000 BC)
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 11:17:42 PM »
The Three

Now these are the chiefs of David’s mighty men, who gave him strong support in his kingdom, together with all Israel, to make him king, according to the word of the LORD concerning Israel.

- 1 Chronicles 11:10

While on the run from King Saul, David amassed a group of renegade followers (600 by the end) who joined him in his mountain stronghold in Adullam. They were fiercely loyal to him, as well as effective warriors. Among them, certain individuals stood out from the crowd - these were known as the Gibborim, or 'Mighty Men'. There were thirty-seven of these individuals in total, but three of them in particular were regarded as "the best of the best":

• Jashobeam ben Zabdiel, the Hachmonite
  • Eleazar ben Dodo, the Ahohite
  • Shammah ben Agee, the Hararite

Together, these men were known simply as 'The Three'.

Here are my interpretation of The Three, armed with their weapons of choice, as described in The Book of Samuel. Joshobeam favours the spear, Eleazar the sword...Shammah's weapon is not stated, but I thought I'd give him a sword anyway! Historically, it's highly unlikely The Three wore scale armour (at least not at this stage of their careers) but I wanted them to look like "elites", not to mention having a bit more survivability in games!

These are all 28mm Essex Miniatures from their Biblical range, but their shields are from Magister Militum. Essex shields are a bit basic.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:07:15 AM by tikitang »