Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Mullahs and Goat herders for NWF?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: 28mm Mullahs and Goat herders for NWF?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 11:26:01 PM »
I did indeed!  Back then I was on the lookout for any figure that lent itself to conversion for service with my British, Indian, or Afghan regular army troops.  My sources included Wargames Foundry's Sikh Wars, Crimean War, and ACW ranges.  This was before before Artizan released their Second Afghan War range and before the Perrys came out with their "Queen Victoria's Little Wars" range.  Some of the full unit conversions I did -- such as adding kullahs to the turbans of my Perry Bombay Infantry -- would no longer be necessary today.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 03:16:03 PM »
I did indeed!  Back then I was on the lookout for any figure that lent itself to conversion for service with my British, Indian, or Afghan regular army troops.  My sources included Wargames Foundry's Sikh Wars, Crimean War, and ACW ranges.  This was before before Artizan released their Second Afghan War range and before the Perrys came out with their "Queen Victoria's Little Wars" range.  Some of the full unit conversions I did -- such as adding kullahs to the turbans of my Perry Bombay Infantry -- would no longer be necessary today.

On a tangential note, do you know what British ammo and weapons crates looked like at the time, how they were painted and labelled and if anyone makes appropriate open/closed ones for 28mm?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2022, 05:46:14 PM »
Empress make some ammo crates that are good for 1879 in their Zulu War range (as I recall you get helmets too in that pack). Haven't really studied the evolution of the Victorian ammo crate, but I imagine they'd be good until the Army switched over to Lee-Metfords in 1888, maybe even after.

As far as I know, the crates were the colour of the wood they were made out of. Don't think they painted them (at least not in South Africa, may have been different elsewhere).

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:47:46 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 02:50:36 AM »
I can only concur with our resident Elder God, Plynkes!  I ordered one or two of those same accessory packs from Empress back when they were first released, probably a decade ago.

In the interest of completism here's a link to a page on the Martini Henry Society website with info on the MkV ammunition box, which I believe to be the "ammo crate" in question, and was made of mahogany:

http://www.martinihenry.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106

...and here's a pic from the same page:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:29:18 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2022, 02:41:21 PM »

This Empress set of boxes, rifles, helmets etc. is a great resource

https://www.empressminiatures.com/zwa5-accessories-including-rifles-1010-p.asp

Aside from this Foundry set, is there another make of Indian/Afghan shields?

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/products/wp043-indian-warriors-shields?variant=43706165072

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2022, 03:17:20 AM »
MiniPigs -- the only other source(s) for Dhal shields besides those Foundry ones that I can think of are the Perry "Afghan Tribesmen" and Wargames Atlantic "Afghan Warriors" plastic boxed sets.  You might try searching on Etsy, where there are some 3D printed spare shields for 28mm figures.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2022, 04:54:49 AM »
MiniPigs -- the only other source(s) for Dhal shields besides those Foundry ones that I can think of are the Perry "Afghan Tribesmen" and Wargames Atlantic "Afghan Warriors" plastic boxed sets.  You might try searching on Etsy, where there are some 3D printed spare shields for 28mm figures.

Interesting. When you consider how popular the NWF has recently become, one would think there would be more accessories for it. There aren't even that many flags available.

Have you seen this film? 

It's worth it for the landscapes and sets alone.