Forum > Medieval Adventures

Vengeance upon the Drevlians - A Pagan Rus Log

(1/10) > >>

Knight-Captain Tyr:
Hello!

Some time ago I began to take a serious interest in the history of the early Rus peoples. In no small part spurred on by my fantasy project, the Black Order, I decided I wanted to include some of the cultural themes of these peoples in that project.

But as I read more and more about the early Rus, I realised that no fantasy story can capture how incredibly complex that period of history really is - and certainly not the period surrounding the Kievan Rus and their pagan beginnings. In particular, I discovered the story of Olga of Kiev, wife to Igor of the Rurikid dynasty and mother to Sviatoslav, and her ferocious revenge upon the Drevlian peoples after they captured and executed her husband. (Quick shout-out to the Kings and Generals YouTube channel here, and the artist Rob McSweeney, for their awesome episode on Olga and the early Rus)

Olga herself, flanked by her son Sviatoslav (l) and Oleg (r)
To say Olga's story parallels A Song of Ice and Fire is an understatement. Cersei Lannister couldn't come close to Olga!

I had to commit some of Olga's story to miniature form - and so decided to start a Pagan Rus warband for SAGA led by none other than the Scourge of the Drevlians herself, Olga of Kiev. At the same time, I decided this will be a fairly slow-burn force, so I'm using this as my contribution to Heerschau 2022, the warband-building challenge run by Stronghold Terrain. The rules of Heerschau are simple: build and paint 1 point for SAGA every month for six months.

So without further ado, I've thrown together 12 Rus levy for January's first point - and about half an hour ago I managed to complete them just in time:

Little Odo:
Great work on those. Looking forward to seeing the whole force come together.

Rick F:
Really nice figures. I saw a really good Russian film a couple of years ago about the early Rus, any idea what it was called? I'd like to watch it again.

macsparty:
These look great! Since discovering about a year ago that I am (very surprisingly) a descendent of Olga, I have been fascinated by this story. Admittedly I knew nothing about it before then.

This has also become a to-do project on my list. I have been keeping my eye open for a suitable Olga, and have wondered if some of the new distinguished women in Bob Murch's new 1066 range might work. I've also thought about sending a suggestion to Bad Squiddo - seems right up her alley!

I'll be following this with interest.

Knight-Captain Tyr:
Thanks, chaps!

No Rus models yet, but I have been working on some multi-purpose terrain with a decidedly pagan Rus theme. You might recognise the gods these sigils are affiliated with:

What do I put over the door, though?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version