Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 631
Total: 639

Recent

Author Topic: Jet is stuck in the 90s! - Vor: The Maelstrom.  (Read 11846 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Jet is stuck in the 90s! - Vor: The Maelstrom.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 07:45:50 PM »
Great thread!

I remember my friend, Brian, and I split the box for our shop. I did the humans and he did the Growlers. Beware on those Growlers--assembly of the larger metal minis is rough. You will need to do some serious gap filling and pinning, I think. But they look awesome.

Also, does anyone remember the promised "Scratchforce Rules". They were supposed to contain a generic version of the Vor engine that let you stat out any models in your collection. Man, that would have been cool had they been released.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 08:06:03 PM »
Also, does anyone remember the promised "Scratchforce Rules". They were supposed to contain a generic version of the Vor engine that let you stat out any models in your collection. Man, that would have been cool had they been released.
Those were released as No Limits;)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 10:01:11 PM »
Great thread!

I remember my friend, Brian, and I split the box for our shop. I did the humans and he did the Growlers. Beware on those Growlers--assembly of the larger metal minis is rough. You will need to do some serious gap filling and pinning, I think. But they look awesome.

I've heard, hell the Growler forcebook even points out the necks will have gaps in them lol

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 11:05:08 PM »
After a series of E-mails back and forth with Ral Partha regarding the Shard Forcebook (or rather, the lack thereof) my suspicions have been confirmed.  The books are all stock bought on hand. When they're gone, theyre gone. They explained they don't own the printing rights to any of the written materials but do own the moulds, so miniatures should feasibly continue. This is a bit of a shame because (with no digital copies and physical scarcity already kicking in) these books deserve to be preserved, both as a time capsule of the era and for the written/physical art within.

I first became suspicious when I opened one of the books and found promotional material as if it were still the late 90s. 

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 12:24:44 AM »
I bought the box set in Orlando on holiday nearly 20yrs ago and still not done anything with it  ;D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 11:59:13 AM »
I bought this back when I was in high school. Played the hell out of it. My folks then got orders to Germany and by the time we had unpacked, I found out that my BattleTech, Crimson skies and Vor game was no longer supported.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
I bought the box set in Orlando on holiday nearly 20yrs ago and still not done anything with it  ;D

If you can dig it out  could you do me a favour? The starter comes with a 4 mission mini campaign and I'd like to try it for the authentic "starter set" feeling. If you could scan/photo them that'd be awesome.

I bought this back when I was in high school. Played the hell out of it. My folks then got orders to Germany and by the time we had unpacked, I found out that my BattleTech, Crimson skies and Vor game was no longer supported.  lol

Yikes! That sounds absolutely awful. A pox on Harmony Golds name my friend, hopefully modern Battletech at least scratches your itch.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 03:37:03 PM »
...A pox on Harmony Golds name my friend...
Seconded!

FASA's Battletech has always been one of my favourite settings (pre-jihad) and I just love the Unseen mechs...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 05:41:07 PM »
If you can dig it out  could you do me a favour? The starter comes with a 4 mission mini campaign and I'd like to try it for the authentic "starter set" feeling. If you could scan/photo them that'd be awesome.
Ooh, if you do, I'd love a copy too please? I (embarrassingly) didn't even know there was a starter box for VOR until this thread...

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 11:41:08 PM »
That was a sad day, worse, I was in a position to buy them and would have done, willingly. I would still love to get my hands on those. Chris and Dan seem to have gone quiet so that only leaves the 2 of us in the 1999 fan club.

Gone quiet, my ass! ;)
There are only so many ways you can say "I have all the easy shit, now how about the others?" before it gets tiresome.
On a positive note, Ash at Guerrilla Games recently said he'd be up for a game of 1999 on his channel, so of course I volunteered to both play and provide the minis! Just need to get the border properly open! :)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 07:24:02 AM »
Ooh, if you do, I'd love a copy too please? I (embarrassingly) didn't even know there was a starter box for VOR until this thread...

Behold!

It looks to be a good place to start with. 7 Union Troops with Rifles, 1 Union Trooper with HMG (should probably be LMG, but sci fi, whatever), 1 Union Trooper with Rifle/Grenade Launcher, 1 Union Seargent, 1 Growler Razorback Bull, 3 Grower Razorback One Horns, 3 Growler Razorback pups, 5 plastic walls, a mini campaign, the rulebook and templates. Oh and iirc you got a voucher to order Growlers from FASA directly before their general release.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:26:18 AM by jetengine »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »
Gone quiet, my ass! ;)

lol
Good to see you around, just Dan to track down now then.

On a positive note, Ash at Guerrilla Games recently said he'd be up for a game of 1999 on his channel, so of course I volunteered to both play and provide the minis! Just need to get the border properly open! :)

I generally avoid his channel like the plague but would make an exception and watch if you do get the game on the table. Do you plan to play with the booklets and cards or houserules?
I still have Stefan's pdf of the rules (also a .doc version) and the excel points calculator if you need them.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 11:19:22 AM »
Behold!
:D
I remember that box
The gummy bear Growlers, the virtually 2D Union troopers and the laser blasted walls which managed to leave every door in the structure intact!
Classic 90s. Have you bought that set?

Online Arjuna

• Assistant
  • They wish to be destroyed, and you destroy them.
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 11:45:22 AM »
Nice thread.

Reminds me of the Growler I painted around 2005.
Heavy hitter.

Found another one of my old paint jobs for Vor.
The guy on the left, a Golem prototype miniature.
Slightly converted for something VSF if I remember right.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:16:14 PM by Arjuna »

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 12:19:00 PM »

:D
I remember that box
The gummy bear Growlers, the virtually 2D Union troopers and the laser blasted walls which managed to leave every door in the structure intact!
Classic 90s. Have you bought that set?

No, instead  I'm ordering all its contents (save for the walls, no idea who owns them) and working from there. What I found interesting is despite how relatively small scale the starter is, the forcebooks indicate every faction would have had vehicles and tanks.
Nice thread.

Reminds me of the Growler I painted around 2005.
Heavy hitter.

Found another one of my old paint jobs for Vor.
The guy on the left, a Golem prototype miniature.
Slightly converted for something VSF if I remember right.

Very nice! That's the lad I bought for my Bull. Oddly I can't find the sculpt in the starter (arms raised) for some reason.