Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jet is stuck in the 90s! - Vor: The Maelstrom.  (Read 12229 times)

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
Re: Jet is stuck in the 90s! - Vor: The Maelstrom.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2022, 08:21:21 AM »
Very nice project!
Back in the days we had a very active gaming group for VOR and it is still one of my favorite SF games. I still own my Razorback Growlers (including Razorfang), my Zykhee force and my Union troopers. A have force lists for GW Necrons and Tyranids as well, was fun to play.

Seeing this thread I digged through my files and found a FAQ and Updated Force Lists for all basic forces from the VOR forum (which is long dead). If someone is interested, I can send the pdf.

I can highly recommend the NoLimits rules. It is like VOR 2.0, but includes the Scratch Build Manual for building own armies. Free pdf available online (with permission of VOR author Skuzzie Nielsen, who still owns the rights to the rules).

I still have a lot of fun with the rules, sadly havenīt played often due to Pandemic and the "dead games" thing which holds off other players to join.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »
 Would love to see your Vor forces Nandrin and also interested in the pdf too.

Any chance you have force lists for the games that you have played for the different factions?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »
Hi nandrin,

I too would be interested in the updated forcelists and rules FAQ pdf if you don't mind please?  :D

I'd love to see your figures too, although I do feel a bit bad for jetengine as it feels like his project thread has been somewhat hijacked...!

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:57 AM »
Hi nandrin,

I too would be interested in the updated forcelists and rules FAQ pdf if you don't mind please?  :D

I'd love to see your figures too, although I do feel a bit bad for jetengine as it feels like his project thread has been somewhat hijacked...!

A. I'd ALSO like the Documents if possible please :)

B. Don't worry about the Hi-jack, it's spreading the Vor:Maelstrom love and getting people remembering/interested in a dead game. Hell, Ral Partha may guve a commendation for helping their stock sell lol

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2022, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi guys,

no problem, I will dig out the files and send them to you. The links in it are all dead because these are from about 2010 when Skuzzy ran his own forum and tried to resurrect VOR via Kickstarter, but the content is still interesting if you plan to use the FASA rules. I will look for my army lists as well, but they are from the pre-digital time.... :)

By the way, I think the Kickstarter failed because it was too ambitious. 25.000$ as a goal to produce a hardback rulebook is too high these days, he should have been gone for PDF and a less elaborate version, but I believe he is a man who will not make compromises on his vision.... :?

Anyway, it is a great set of rules.
If I find the time, I will take pictures of my painted Miniatures as well.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
 Just looked at the Ral Partha Europe store but the Zykhee weapon tips are not listed.How did you find-out about them jetengine?

RPE did order some of the missing range from Iron Wind Metals several Years ago for me.I wonder if they would do it again with all of the interest in the game now.Not sure how many on this thread are in the UK though.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:58:24 PM by manic _miner »

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2022, 02:20:18 PM »

Regarding the Zhykee weapons, I know Ral Partha sell the tips. I think the idea behind the Zhykee is kinda cool, but the whole African-tribal-art-double-jointed-alien vibe doesnt quite do it for me.

Just looked at the Ral Partha Europe store but the Zykhee weapon tips are not listed.How did you find-out about them jetengine?

RPE did order some of the missing range from Iron Wind Metals several Years ago for me.I wonder if they would do it again with all of the interest in the game now.Not sure how many on this thread are in the UK though.

Literally just looking at the iron wind site I found them. Its a  cool idea for modularity but seems like a PITA for metals, on plastics it'd be cool, you could integrate the new pole heads with 50% of the pole end ala WFB Pole troops

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2022, 02:57:35 PM »
 It is funny that some of the figures come with the blades and others dont.

Not sure how long the weapon ends will last when glued onto the shafts.Not a lot of contact for the glue to get a good hold.

Just based four Zykhee onto 40mm bases.The 25's just look way too small and i could see them taking a tumble if the table got knocked.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2022, 04:01:10 PM »
It is funny that some of the figures come with the blades and others dont.

Not sure how long the weapon ends will last when glued onto the shafts.Not a lot of contact for the glue to get a good hold.

Just based four Zykhee onto 40mm bases.The 25's just look way too small and i could see them taking a tumble if the table got knocked.

Basing is something I'm definitely going to be tinkering with. Your standard human looks ok on a 25mm but every other faction has lots of problems. All of the bigger Growlers overhang something rotten

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2022, 05:36:40 PM »
Basing is something I'm definitely going to be tinkering with. Your standard human looks ok on a 25mm but every other faction has lots of problems. All of the bigger Growlers overhang something rotten

Most of the One Horns look really small and lost on the 50mm bases.Might drop them down to 40mm too.I have kept the Zykhee scouts on the 25mm bases which they look good on.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2022, 08:39:15 PM »
Most of the One Horns look really small and lost on the 50mm bases.Might drop them down to 40mm too.I have kept the Zykhee scouts on the 25mm bases which they look good on.

Actually, with quite a few old games these days, I'm having similar thoughts regarding bases; I've decided that unless they have some sort of aura effect/ability, to just put them on the size of base that fits them best, regardless of whether that means going up or coming down a base size. I'm even thinking of committing the ultimate heresy, and will use ovals if they look like they'll fit better!   o_o

From a practical point of view, many of these models are heavy, poorly balanced, and often made of lead or soft alloy. Since having them tip over or hang off all the time is a nuisance that doesn't really do the models any good, putting them on a base that actually fits them just seems practical. In almost all cases (unless it's a game like Warmachine) the different base sizes make no real difference anyway, so why suffer?  :)

Edit:

I'd be interested in a few if they do, as much for the opportunity as anything else
If not, would a joint order from Ironwind to the UK (splitting any delivery, import, and "handling" fees) be worthwhile?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:44:15 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2022, 08:45:42 PM »
 I think the base sizes were due to what was available at the time.Only recently that other sizes and shapes of bases have come out.

Cavalry type miniatures would be good on oval bases.I have used some of the pill shaped one's for mounted miniatures.Helps them fit in better with the round bases i think.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2022, 11:03:22 PM »
I think the base sizes were due to what was available at the time.Only recently that other sizes and shapes of bases have come out.

Cavalry type miniatures would be good on oval bases.I have used some of the pill shaped one's for mounted miniatures.Helps them fit in better with the round bases i think.

Cavalry is always odd I find, I'm partial to rectangles in fantassyand pills in sci fi.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2022, 12:08:09 PM »
Cavalry is always odd I find, I'm partial to rectangles in fantassyand pills in sci fi.

I think it all comes down to how you are using your miniatures.Lots of rules out now where you can use any miniatures that you have already.So basing can look odd with different base types.Square and round being the main one's.Skirmish type games seem to be mostly on round bases from what i have seen.Rank and file games are square based or sabbot bases.

The Ceru seem like they would have been a nice faction to play.Sort of remind me of Squats in Rogue Trader.Lots of biker types who like to customize thier rides.Would have made for a nice look force i bet.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »

Well. I've lost the rulebook somewhere from the box but the good news is I have the scenario booklet (and the models!). I do not have access to a scanner today but should be able to get to one tomorrow. If people want to PM an email address, once I have it scanned in I can forward it on.