Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:36:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jet is stuck in the 90s! - Vor: The Maelstrom.  (Read 12196 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Jet is stuck in the 90s! - Vor: The Maelstrom.
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »
While I like the art work on the box and some of the pieces in the rulebook overall, the VOR minis are defo not to my taste. BUT what I do like is the enthusiasm shown here for game and it's kind infectious. Keep up the good work and while I shan't join you in collecting these minis, I shall eagerly follow your progress!

Not to get controversial but I'm aware there's some irritation with his ties to GW, impartiality is raised into doubt when you get given starter sets before anyone else on the market. Especially considering wargaming journalism is even less professional then the joke of video game journalism.

My wife used to work for a local magazine and when doing reviews they were always told to focus on what they did like rather than to lie, and this is kinda how I think GMG approach it. Having said that I mostly watch the retro videos, and the odd modern 40k one, so I may well be talking out of my bum.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2022, 12:20:28 PM »
Hi guys,
attached are the ideas for an updated edition of VOR and a FAQ I downloaded long ago from Skuzzys page.
Sadly I couldnīt find my army lists, they seem to be lost in space....

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2022, 12:21:22 PM »
With the arrival of the final book today (thanks to an E-bay seller) I've finally got a complete collection! I'll start having a look through the rulebook and give some feedback as I go through.

Though another thought sticks with me, when these books finally go OOP, with no intent of ever reprinting them, what is the issue of people making digital copies? I'm not talking about myself of course, I've no way of doing so and fear damaging these books. However the responses in this thread show there's certainly interest in the game and I remember encountering a scanned copy of the rulebook when I was initially looking around the net years ago. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2022, 01:39:59 PM »
Hi guys,
attached are the ideas for an updated edition of VOR and a FAQ I downloaded long ago from Skuzzys page.
Thank you nandrin, appreciated! :)

With the arrival of the final book today (thanks to an E-bay seller) I've finally got a complete collection! I'll start having a look through the rulebook and give some feedback as I go through.
Very nice! I'm just missing the Shard book myself. :)

Though another thought sticks with me, when these books finally go OOP, with no intent of ever reprinting them, what is the issue of people making digital copies? I'm not talking about myself of course, I've no way of doing so and fear damaging these books. However the responses in this thread show there's certainly interest in the game and I remember encountering a scanned copy of the rulebook when I was initially looking around the net years ago.
I have often thought this, especially for some books that have a short print run for whatever reason. I personally do like to have digital copies of books I own, as I can just look up anything I want quickly when I'm on my computer. For any games that I intend to play, I prefer to use hardcopies of the books - I can't bear to faff about on a tablet or whatever in the middle of a game. The main downsides to the physical copies are (1) the volume/weight of them all, and (2) they usually don't include the FAQ, Errata, etc.
Like you, I don't want to damage my books by cutting the spines off or squashing them onto a scanner plate. However, I do intend to eventually make some sort of digital copy of them for my own records and use.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2022, 01:51:22 PM »
Awesome; I love seeing complete sets (of anything really, but miniatures related all the more)! 8)

And I've often wondered about this myself. In fact, my thinking also covered oop miniatures. There are those of which the moulds have been destroyed many a moon ago, and the system they were made for is dead. The original manufacturer would not lose a single cent.

I find this to be a morally grey area myself. See; a more unscrupulous individual might see a market for stuff they can sell at a very low investment, but asking marked up prices to match the rare originals.

Buying such a recast would not be too much of a problem for me, if it's clear from the start that it is what it is. Collectors can then still differentiate between originals and copies, and the product should be priced accordingly.

But obviously this is not how the average human psyche works (and profit beckons too hard), so in the end, I'm mostly opposed, although it's still not a completely black area to me.

As for books; the costs of recreating a published book is much greater. the margins are much smaller, and usually the copyright is printed right inside the book. So it would not be interesting to do so commercially.

But using a copied version for one's own use, because the original is no longer avialable anywhere? I do believe some countries have legislation that allows this.

It might also be worth to note that sites such as DrivethroughRPG sell good PDF versions of a lot of OOP rule books that are still 'official'. I can only speculate on this, but I reckon the owners of the works get a percentage of each sale.

So maybe the books could be offered through there?

Here's an idea; they should start a subsidiary selling PDFs of OOP wargames rules and/or homegrown rules by niche content creators, just like they do with RPGs. Of course that library is many times greater (for now), but it might actually be a good model to make OOP rules available to a wider audience...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2022, 02:57:24 PM »
Hi guys,

Many thanks for posting these nandrin.

Just been looking at the starter forces that have in the rules FAQ.Think i might have enough to do most of them.May need a couple more scouts for the Zykhee.Probably need a few more Growler bulls for some of the breeds too.

Gives me some good idea of what are good starting forces.Then adding to them as i go.

Love the rule for the Growlers calling in the Void Growler Orbital bombardment ;).

Just seen that Ral Partha Europe will be having a price increase at the end of February.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:00:46 PM by manic _miner »

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2022, 03:11:43 PM »
I've got the scenarios scanned, unfortunately I could only use a basic scanner so they are as jpegs, but anyone wanting them - plus a list of blisters available at that time just PM me.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2022, 05:48:39 PM »
I've got the scenarios scanned, unfortunately I could only use a basic scanner so they are as jpegs, but anyone wanting them - plus a list of blisters available at that time just PM me.

You (or anyone who receives them) can convert them to pdf here:
http://www.ilovepdf.com

Wonderful site, I use it frequently to remove fluff and adverts from rulebook pdfs or to extract specific pages for scenarios etc.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2022, 09:42:18 PM »
*long post*

Yeah, I'm in a grey area myself. Take say...GWs old epic titans. There's no way in hell they will ever be re-released. Wrong aesthetic, wrong scale and wrong material for size. So why not get one recasted? No ones going to get paid for a dead mini for a dead game.

I'd also support a website for archival purposes. The net is nigh infinite in space, why not store old games and rpgs instead of destroying them?

Many thanks for posting these nandrin.

Just been looking at the starter forces that have in the rules FAQ.Think i might have enough to do most of them.May need a couple more scouts for the Zykhee.Probably need a few more Growler bulls for some of the breeds too.

Gives me some good idea of what are good starting forces.Then adding to them as i go.

Love the rule for the Growlers calling in the Void Growler Orbital bombardment ;).

Just seen that Ral Partha Europe will be having a price increase at the end of February.

It's interesting that the Union have the cheapest force, around Ģ35-40? Growlers are the most costly with 3 Ģ15 bulls.

A few other shops are doing price rises as well, so its a global thing I think.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2022, 11:35:25 AM »
I'd also support a website for archival purposes. The net is nigh infinite in space, why not store old games and rpgs instead of destroying them?

The Trove used to be exactly that before it was shut down, mainly for old OOP rpg products but some wargame stuff as well. Problem is that in order to archive you need to make a copy while the thing is around. Some people call that piracy.
Amusingly one of the loudest voices against the concept of the Trove was from a guy who makes his money selling a barely disguised rip off rewrite of a well known popular RPG system.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2022, 01:15:11 PM »
The Trove used to be exactly that before it was shut down, mainly for old OOP rpg products but some wargame stuff as well. Problem is that in order to archive you need to make a copy while the thing is around. Some people call that piracy.
Amusingly one of the loudest voices against the concept of the Trove was from a guy who makes his money selling a barely disguised rip off rewrite of a well known popular RPG system.

The Zweihander gent is a Grade A Twonk alright.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2022, 03:15:57 PM »
I assume that The Trove keeps getting shut down because they are posting scans of readily available books (the latest D&D books would show up within days of retail release, for example). If they only hosted out-of-print (or open license stuff they had permission to host) it might be different.

I don't think downloading is bad if there is no ready way to buy an old product legitimately. Wargame Vault has made it easier- so many old rulebooks have made their way there, and the PDFs are usually very reasonably priced.

As for models, Ill Gotten Games started the Old School Archive with the intent on digitizing old miniatures and offering STLs or 3D printed copies for sale, with the proceeds going to the IP holders. I hope they can gain some more traction.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2022, 03:50:42 PM »
 Anyone know which weapon tips are what for the Zykhee?

Wanting to find-out now before i start gluing bits onto figures.

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »
I shudder when I now see the bare monstrosity of a site I built back when, but at least you'll be able to find most information regarding the game there.

Hey; it's in unadulterated nineties HTML4, so it's period correct at least lol

www.1999legacy.com

Enter at your own peril...  :D

You just solved a mystery for me. I've had this mini for a while, found in a used bin. Never knew where it came from.

http://www.1999legacy.com/OfficialMaterial/MiniatureRange/UnpaintedAngelics/UnpaintedAngelicChampionWithIntrearmCannon.jpg

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2022, 12:57:03 AM »
You (or anyone who receives them) can convert them to pdf here:
http://www.ilovepdf.com

Wonderful site, I use it frequently to remove fluff and adverts from rulebook pdfs or to extract specific pages for scenarios etc.

Thanks I shall do so.