Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690644
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spelunking at Midnight - Vignette  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Spelunking at Midnight - Vignette
« on: January 30, 2022, 08:48:58 PM »
Finally the spelunking diorama is finished.

I am quite happy with the OSL, even though it was a struggle at times and obviously there is always room for improvement.

The miniatures are two converted Reapermini Bones Miniatures using Statuesque Miniatures heads and weapon swaps from the bitz box. The top level miniature was converted from 77049 Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger and the character in the cave from 77387 Lanell, Female Rogue.

The base is entirely scratch built, only the fern is an awesome photo etch kit by Chichkovshop and the foliage by MiniNatur.

The initial lighting sketch was applied by airbrush, using violet, orange and turquoise. I then went back in by brush and added more contrast with yellows, greens and blues.

I don't think anyone tried to depict fireflies so far, at least to my knowledge. They are made of paper and Greenstuff.

So, how do you like my second OSL attempt? What could I improve with the next one, which parts do you like best?

Offline Minus

• Assistant
Re: Spelunking at Midnight - Vignette
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 04:10:36 AM »
Wow, that's gorgeous. OSL is outstanding. I doubt I have much to offer on improvement and I'd be hard pressed to name a favorite. The painting, modeling, and composition are all excellent.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 07:37:28 AM »
I like that, very nice work. The OSL is subtle and looks good.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 07:50:36 AM »
I love it!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 10:47:55 AM »
Outstanding. A real work of art.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 01:41:47 PM »
wonderful.
the osl is so effective, I would have believed a small electric light was being used as part of the model in the cave area.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »
Brilliant work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 09:37:39 PM »
Wow, that's gorgeous. OSL is outstanding. I doubt I have much to offer on improvement and I'd be hard pressed to name a favorite. The painting, modeling, and composition are all excellent.

Thank you! It was a struggle to get the OSL right, but at least from the front it really worked out well. usually I would aim to make a scene look good from all perspectives, but with OSL it is surely difficult to pull this off.

I like that, very nice work. The OSL is subtle and looks good.

Thank you. I was indeed aiming for a more subtle approach than usually seen online.

I love it!

Much appreciated!

Outstanding. A real work of art.

High praise indeed, but I am definitely proud of it, even though there are some things to improve.

wonderful.
the osl is so effective, I would have believed a small electric light was being used as part of the model in the cave area.

Thank you, I am glad the illusion works as intended. Better in the cave than on the surface, but the moonlit look was hard to pull off. Maybe with a future vignette I try the moonlit look again.

Brilliant work!

Thank you kindly!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
I think the moonlight is fabulous too tbh.
and the way you've mixed in a more subtle degree of lighting from the cave to the front of the chap, and some of the tree leaves... just beautiful.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 02:08:07 PM »
I think the moonlight is fabulous too tbh.
and the way you've mixed in a more subtle degree of lighting from the cave to the front of the chap, and some of the tree leaves... just beautiful.

Thank you. I was hoping to achieve a look like this artwork:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwallup.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F03%2F03%2F322210-fantasy_art-night-women-moonlight-model-window.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

But maybe that is better suited for a moonlight only vignette. The subtle light on the coat adn tree was relatively easy to establish with an airbrush. I only had to blend it in on the coat with some dark green.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 06:35:37 PM »
Absolutely, incredible. What an amazing mix of lighting to pull off.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 06:45:29 PM »
I think it's gorgeous and you've done really well to get the two shades of OSL in there blended beautifully. If you wanted more of definite 'moonlight' effect on the top figure, I guess you could use less colour in the palette as in the picture of the woman at the window, but suffice to say your vignette already looks superb.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 08:57:40 PM »
Absolutely, incredible. What an amazing mix of lighting to pull off.

Thank you Fram! Did melt my brain a tad, but it worked out well in the end.

I think it's gorgeous and you've done really well to get the two shades of OSL in there blended beautifully. If you wanted more of definite 'moonlight' effect on the top figure, I guess you could use less colour in the palette as in the picture of the woman at the window, but suffice to say your vignette already looks superb.

I think that may be the way to go. I have a vampire miniature by Bombshell 'Camilla' which should work well for such an endeavour. I want to place her in front of a window, looking at a foggy, moonlit night. Only question is, if I give her a candle or a bat in her hand.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 09:18:56 PM »
I think that may be the way to go. I have a vampire miniature by Bombshell 'Camilla' which should work well for such an endeavour. I want to place her in front of a window, looking at a foggy, moonlit night. Only question is, if I give her a candle or a bat in her hand.

Sounds like another feast for the eyes! I have a hankering to do a small vignette based on Les Edwards' Croglin Vampire picture from the old 'Call of Cthulhu' book one day ... one day.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 07:59:06 AM »
That is a haunting picture. Great idea to make a vignette out of it. I am sure GW or Mantic have a suitably abhorrent head.