Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggstions for Running succssful Adventure Miniatures Games  (Read 3671 times)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Suggstions for Running succssful Adventure Miniatures Games
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »
Hello all,

I come to the group in search of wisdom on how to run one of these lovely miniatures adventure/wargames I see here. I'm not new to RPGs o wargaming but seem to have missed something when it comes to running a succssful blend such as I have seen done over and here and on other forums.

What is the best way to blend the two and create a fun game for all concerned. I am trying to present such a game to a group of RPGers and miniatures gamers, but we have had mixed success pulling off advnture miniatures games.

Thank for any information,

-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Suggstions for Running succssful Adventure Miniatures Games
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »
Pick rules which allow for a bit of ad lib-ing and story telling elements. Both .45 and T&T are great for that.

Present the gamers with a good looking game. This is very important, IMO, and makes all the difference.

Don't litter the board with pieces of paper, chits, buttons and the like. Use casualty miniatures as pinned down markers instead, for example.

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:23:09 PM »
Hammers wrote "
Don't litter the board with pieces of paper, chits, buttons and the like." I agree, but be sure to use encounters. Use scenics like small rocks with numbers at the base for encounter markers.

I also like to give information to one player and have him inform the group of things I want them to know.

Be aware of skills your players have or back story roles and use these so everyone has a chance to be important to the story. This is easier with traditional rpgs like Traveller, so be very sensitive to what the players character concept, skills and party role are.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:51:58 AM »
Those are great for the look of the game. What I am particularly interested in are what sorts of scenarios and how much role-playing to add in. Do folks usually just assign an objective for the heroes and let them accomplish it, or are there more elements to it?

-Eli

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:21:43 AM »
Those are great for the look of the game. What I am particularly interested in are what sorts of scenarios and how much role-playing to add in. Do folks usually just assign an objective for the heroes and let them accomplish it, or are there more elements to it?

-Eli

I missed the whole role playing thing when I grew up so I have only a theoretical knowledge there. In the adventure type games I've taken part in the last 10 years I've been think more in terms of storytelling. Game rules are aids for the game, not means, and the purpose is to to see an adventure unfold. To strike a good balance I find that you need either a strong but not domineering (wise, if you will) game master *or*, and this is a tricky point, a fairly coherent group of players.  I personally think that in adventure type wargames, there is no room for 'rule sticklers' and power gamers.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:13 AM »
I have one guy in our group who is incapable of keeping from tearing any system down, but that's his nature. Also, as none of the players has any attachment to the armies that I supply, I think that giving each force in a scenario a bit of a background write-up is important.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »
Background can be a great hook, and I would encourge you to get the players involved in making up the story so you know it is something they will enjoy.

You may also try adjusting the number of miniatures invloved in each scenario. Sometimes each player may only have one or two characters to control and in other games they may units of 5-10 models.

HAVE FUN!

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 05:53:25 AM »
I have one guy in our group who is incapable of keeping from tearing any system down, but that's his nature.

You have one person in your group you should not invite. This is discourteous behavior and you enable him to be a pain for everyone else.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 08:19:49 AM »
Let me clarify. He does not do this in a way that detracts from others' fun but his own. He is hyper-analytical of game mechanics and systems and often find himself unable to look beyond the mechanics. He does not tear a system down in the sense that he decries it or profanes it, but more so in a manner that destroys the transparency of the system for himself.

Not inviting him is not an option as he is a core member of the group, a good friend, and just as welcome at the communal gaming space as any of us. He's actually an excellent opponent to play against and very fair. He will point out rules you have overlooked, and seems to be able to maintain an encyclopedic mental record of games he's played and learned. We refer to him as the groups Rules Marshal or Rules Lawyer for The Good.

-Eli

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »
Let me clarify. He does not do this in a way that detracts from others' fun but his own. He is hyper-analytical of game mechanics and systems and often find himself unable to look beyond the mechanics. He does not tear a system down in the sense that he decries it or profanes it, but more so in a manner that destroys the transparency of the system for himself.

Not inviting him is not an option as he is a core member of the group, a good friend, and just as welcome at the communal gaming space as any of us. He's actually an excellent opponent to play against and very fair. He will point out rules you have overlooked, and seems to be able to maintain an encyclopedic mental record of games he's played and learned. We refer to him as the groups Rules Marshal or Rules Lawyer for The Good.

-Eli
I stand corrected.
BTW last nights Fantastic Worlds game was a huge success. A lot took place in a Dwarven Forge SF complex, the rest on a felt layout with model railroad trees and rocks. I have some rock molds from Woodland Scenics (very tricky to cast because they have no base to rest on while the plaster hardens) and the rocks I cast have numbers on the bottom. I used these instead of paper chits for encounters. My players enjoyed themselves immensely because of the appealing terrain. However my players set out to have a good time, and this combination made for a very good evenings gaming. Now I have to equal or top that in a couple weeks.
I really love the setting, and my players comment on that. It's Flash Gordon, mostly taken from Raymonds strip or the serials. My players only know the movie and miss the specific scenics from Flash Gordon, but are pleased when they see stuff from the movie.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
The Flash Gordon type settings are really fun.

-Eli