Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space Wooooooolves. In Space!  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Space Wooooooolves. In Space!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 09:59:54 AM »
BBS, yup the only thing more fluid than paint is GW and its ever changing fluff lol

The decal in kit thing I have found from vehicles (Land speeders, Dreadnoughts and Demolishers) and various kit plastics (Tactical squads, Terminators and nearly all of the new "Big-leg" squad kits as you put it ;) ). Damn ultrasmurfetts, plus they get their Primarch back don't they :? :D lol

I only know this because I have been on a big 3rd edition army building exercise lately doing some of those armies that I wanted to do then, but did not get around to at the time etc.

At the current time i have but two Space Wolfies an original wolf headed captain and a rune priest both in the metal  :-*

Take care mate and keep up the good work

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Online Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 02:14:48 PM »
Aye, the wolf-headed captain is a must-have. The other day I realized that GW still had the rune priest in terminator armour on offer. :D That was a bit of a surprise (not in metal though, I'm pretty sure. You got the better version).

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 02:24:41 PM »
Aye, the wolf-headed captain is a must-have. The other day I realized that GW still had the rune priest in terminator armour on offer. :D That was a bit of a surprise (not in metal though, I'm pretty sure. You got the better version).

Yeah agreed he is a classic, the rune priest is the power armoured one, I think it may have been the 13th Company one? I never had the Termie armoured one.

Happy hunting and see you at the wolftime ;) lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 08:29:20 PM »
On another forum somebody said these figures looked nice, but they didn't like when Space Wolves are just another colour of armour on regular marines. They should have more distinct units and whatnot.
I think all the chapters were better when it was only modest differences in units/organisation that made a few chapters divergent. On the whole, the drive for every Chapter to have different stuff is one of the things that has most annoyed me over the years, and I note it has also been a huge driver of disparity in balance within each edition. The current 9E effort, where all Chapters are in one big book, with separate small volumes focusing on individual Chapter background, characters, etc., is a huge improvement IMO and how it should have been done years ago.

Then again, I got into 40k at the very end of RT/birth of 2E, and so I guess that's probably why I feel that way - it was rare for any Chapter to diverge much (if at all). I get that everyone likes different things though, and if most people are happy with their chosen flavour of Marines these days, then that's fine I guess. It's just not for me though.  :P

The other day I realized that GW still had the rune priest in terminator armour on offer. :D That was a bit of a surprise (not in metal though, I'm pretty sure. You got the better version).
Hmm, you might be surprised. A reasonable number of old character/solo models never made it into FC, and are still sold in metal. The Terminator Runepriest is FC resin these days though, sorry.  ;)

I'll say that though: When I started painting these SW chaps here and saw the colour recipe come together I kinda got in the mood to paint an SW army for myself as well.
For what it's worth, your old 2E armies are a big inspiration to me, and I love seeing your additions to them. So, er, if you do feel like doing some classic 2E Space Wolves, I'd certainly like to see them!  ;)  lol

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 07:15:07 AM »
@DivisMal: Thanks very much! Yeah, there's that fine line, isn't there. On another forum somebody said these figures looked nice, but they didn't like when Space Wolves are just another colour of armour on regular marines. They should have more distinct units and whatnot. Me, I'm okay with it really. In the end they're all Space Marines. The strife for making them all too different (with that extreme hankering for different rules to go with that) only encourages SM playes to point and laugh at Ultramarines. Which I never got, because if anybody's to be pointed and laughed at, it should be all Space Marines, right? They're all the same, with differently coloured hats and pants. At least that's my IG/Orks/SoB point of view. Anyway, yeah, I wasn't too excited about riding wolves and werewolf people and so on (or putting actual wings on Blood Angels. Or SoB.). But then I'm old and boring. :) I do like painting Space Marines though. Even those weird, new long-legged ones.

My first Space Wolves Army was an epic one. They had larger companies then…and painted their armor blueish-gray. I liked the 2nd edition Wolfguard and the introduction of Viking/Saxon elements. I was even okay with the Wulfen (mutated company), but the modern stuff is too goofy for me.

I have a lot of magazines collected where you could get Primaris for cheap. Did some Blood Angels already, but seeing now, how well the Primaris work as Space Wolves, I think, I’ll try something like you did.

Where did you get those heads? GW?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »
I liked the 2nd edition Wolfguard and the introduction of Viking/Saxon elements. I was even okay with the Wulfen (mutated company), but the modern stuff is too goofy for me.
Same! 13th Company was a really cool concept, until it got rolled into the mainstream SW forces, and then got a Wulfen Dreadnought...  :?

Where did you get those heads? GW?
The Plasmagunner's head is from the SW Primaris Upgrade Sprue, but I don't recognise the Sergeant's - Looks like it might be from a third-party company like Spellcrow or Puppetswar perhaps? Worth noting that the regular SW upgrade sprue also has some cool bits on it, and is compatible with Primaris too. ;)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 02:26:43 PM »

Heyhey, I'm back.

Here's some more Space Wolves:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2022_03/IMG_1617neu.JPG.4b107fe30c804925ff1d01dd444863f7.JPG

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2022_03/IMG_1622neu.JPG.1d8baddf7bdbb9c8aa693d5a34f6ad90.JPG

full size image:

Still, no dirt, blood or damage on them as of yet (neither are the bases finished or decals of course). I'll see that I get all of that done at once lateron so I get it more even across units. Hope you like them so far, and I wish you all a very happy weekend.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
...my main gripe with them is that every bloody space marine kit from GW now only has smurfs decals, talk about spoon-fed  >:(, what about the good old days where at least 3 or 4 chapters would be on the decal sheet not just the smurfettes ::)

We all know the answer to this- it's to force people to buy more decals separately.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2022, 11:00:19 AM »
@NotifyGrout: ...and those decal sheets (the big'uns) really are rather costly, aren't they. I looked through the web store yesterday (mainly to finally learn all these new names for the primaris units) and spotted that the SW sheet goes for 15, 16 Euros. Yikes.

Hello, I'm back. :)

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2022_04/as2schrift.jpg.39e5567fbb45a3d7a203a922e2067e90.jpg

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 01:03:42 PM »
fabulous collection. Great photo.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2022, 07:37:35 PM »
@Bloggard: Thanks, much appreciated!

Here's more!

Since this army had me paint through more or less the whole Primaris range I took the opportunity and try to learn all the new names.

Aggressors:

I enjoyed painting those. Big, burly Space Marines in what reminded me a lot of the 2nd edition Ork Meganobz. :) Each of them got their own style of adornment painted on their armour.

Blood Claws (kinda):

The concept I was asked to do when painting the army (I didn't build it, I just painted the army) was "2nd edition, but with dust, rust, grime and gore". I wasn't sure about how Primaris fit into the SW chapter organization (lateron I think I found something explaining it, but it looked kinda boring), so I just applied the existing organization as seen fit for the models. These here have chainswords and pistols, so they get Blood Claws markings. :)

Excursors:

What a fun name for SM bikers. Also, the dust clouds in the last picture just had to be there. Anything else would have felt wrong. :D Paintingwise, these new bikes offer more space than ever before on the sides of the model, so I had to put some markings and so on there. Gotta get those colours in, right?

Fenrisian Wolves:

Fun models, aren't they? I painted a lot of these since they were released. It's a good kit. If you like your wolves to look a bit different (more classic, if you will), there's pretty good ones in the Oathsworn range, with goblins on top.

Grey Hunters:

As with the Blood Claws above - these here got boltguns (of some sort. Bolt Carbines?), so they're Grey Hunters. :)

Hammerfall Assault Bunker:

What a fun brick of a model.

Eliminators:

Those I painted a fair few of before. The main thing with these chaps I think always is figuring out a fitting camo scheme for the cloaks. I had to move away from my standard go-tos with these here, but i'd rather have them fit the bases properly rather than have something else in similar colours.

Firestrike Servo Turret:

Wahey, the Tarantula is back. Again. also fun models. I like how the gunner's directly attached to the gun by arm and eye.

Heavy Intercessors:

Somehow I really enjoyed painting those. Big, burly Space Marines guys.

Impulsor:

The first proper vehicle! Interesting design. At first I thought this couldn't be much more work than a Rhino. How naive I was. Not only are these here bigger of course, but also got a ton more stuff on them. And on top they're open-topped! Not too easy to get all these armatures right if you paint the whole thing assembled. :)

Inceptors:

Yup, I'm familiar with those. Interesting new take on the Assault Marine. The most interesting to me is the jump infantry bases though. Certainly a bigger pain than ever before to put together, but of course they look more dynamic with the little transparent swooshy bit. I also think that maybe there's a bit of engineering ingenuity in there. The spring in these things may make them more resilient to snapping.

Infiltrators:

Very fun model!

Iron Priest:

With that one I tried to get much of the 2nd edition Iron Priest colour scheme on him as closely as it makes sense.

Logan Grimnar:

Wolf Lords:

Njal Stormcaller and Arjac:

I assume these were just added to the army to showcase the insane difference in size compared to the latest primaris figures.

Man with smart looking hair and smart looking Phobos armour:

Ragnar Blackmane:

Aye, there he is. He does look cool, doesn't he. There's a story to this one: The gentleman who hired me to paint this army for him put the figures together beforehand. Knowing that I'd paint it, he kept some strategic pieces separate so I have an easier time painting them. One such part was that part of the fur and the chains across Ragnar's chest. When I had painted the figure to the point at which I'd paint and add this part I went to get it from its box. Got the box, the part was there, I was very proud that I found it instantly and hadn't misplaced it. I get it out of its box, it falls onto the ground RIGHT in front of me. I bend down to get it, but it's GONE. I searched for 8 hours. Complete insanity. After those 8 hours I was so desperate I was sure i'd have to buy the part somewhere or the full figure or something. Wrote my pitiful story into a discord channel I tend to hang out in with lots of warhammery types, specified the part. Sent the message. Seconds later I got up, as being guided by some invisible hand I walked over to a box I absolutely knew the part couldn't be in, I reached inside, 2 seconds later I had the piece in hand. It must have jumped in there. Next thing I did was get back to the computer, give the discord channel an update as for the situation and tried my dearest to convince them that this wasn't some weird attention whore move. :D

It's really astounding. I mean I dropped/lost bits before of course, but that really was something else. Very glad it turned up in the end.

Redeemer Dreadnought:

Note the switchable main gun. Yeah, I painted one or two of those before. Cool models.

Repulsor 1:

The red spikey patterns in the front of all tanks were a very late addition in the end. The fonts just looked a bit bare; this way the colour's balanced much better, and they get an additional little spice in the front.

Repulsor 2:

Rune Priest on Bike:

That one had to look a bit fancy of course, so I put a bunch of runes on the one side.

Rune Priests on Foot:

Man with hourglass:

Sicaran Punisher:

A modern classic. The ammo box kinda gave me a headache for a while until I came up with a way of getting colour on it without having a solid brick of red on top, which would have been uninspired and unattractive.

Thunderwolf Cavalry:

Thunderwolf Cavalry, if you throw a tennis ball across the room:

Vanguard Inceptors:

What a concept.

Wolf Guard:

As proper for wolf guard, they all got different shoulder pad designs.

Wolf Priests:

Wulfen:

The most dangerous pub crawl:

Well, that's it. :) Hope you like the figures!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2022, 02:28:50 AM »
DAMN!  :-*

lol lol

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2022, 02:40:05 AM »
Fantastic  :-* :-* :- Somehow I really like the Wulfen  :D
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 09:18:22 AM »
spooky bits box experience! but in a good way at least ...

blimey, one satisfied customer there. amazing.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2022, 08:04:32 PM »
Excellent painting, really lovely! But your customer also made some nice conversations there.