Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:48:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Favourite Pulp Side Arm ?  (Read 29375 times)

Offline jlstuht

• Assistant
  • In one of my "flighty" moods!
    • The Adventures of Sir Peter
Re: Favourite Pulp Side Arm ?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
While I've got tons of assorted pistols and rifles that I take to the range, the ones that draw the most attention from fellow shooters and desire to try out are the two Lugers I have (WWII souvenirs brought back by a relative). 

They fit the hand beautifully, point naturally, and are just a blast to shoot.  My second favorite tho has to be the good old 1911 - carried one in the army and have loved them ever since!
\"Maybe this planet is another planet\'s hell?\" - Aldous Huxley

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
I can't believe I forgot all about Last Man Standing. That film was a hoot!

While many pulp heroes prefer the Colt .45, they never really appealed to me. Give me the M32 Mauser. Sure it's uncontrollable, but what else screams pulp besides a fully-automatic Mauser Machinepistol?

Also have a soft spot in my heart for the Thompson Submachinegun (Tommygun, Chopper, Chicago Typewriter). Maybe I've seen too many episodes of the Untouchables....  :D

Historical Wargames - My Historical, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Steampunk, and Pulp Gaming Page.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »
Well then it seems we move on from pistols to things bigger. As a rifle I'd take a Lee Enfield,smgs ? Well everyone associates Pulp smg's with MP 18s and 28s,however my favourite would be the Finnish Suomi or the Beretta,I also like the Sten for it's pureness (sic).And finally as a LMG well.....a Bren ? Not very Pulpy so a Lewis (Artizan do a great Pulp Lewis gunner in the Very Private Army set) or a Vickers K......So picture this a giant man wolf armed with 2 pistols (a Mauser and a Webley) and either a rifle,a Lewis gun or a Suomi (if he were a weredingo he'd have an Owen gun surely). Oh where am I ? That's right reality :o

"Go ahead evil villain, make my day!"
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
It's the Thompson for me!  Just can't stop a .45 and the 99 rounds behind it.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
The girl's not bad either ;D

former user

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »
So picture this a giant man wolf armed with 2 pistols (a Mauser and a Webley) and either a rifle,a Lewis gun or a Suomi (if he were a weredingo he'd have an Owen gun surely).

want to see conversion!  ;)
now! ;)

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 07:16:14 AM »
A weredingo with an Owen gun, now that is an obscure but cool reference.

For long guns I like the BAR, or civilian version the Monitor.  Thought the Polich version, with a pistol grip was pretty cool.

Soumi SMG is a great gun, and slightly out of the pulp era so is the PPsh41 russian smg.  The man that Ian Fleming based his James Bond character upon supposedly could shoot a Soumi while sking backwards. 

But aren't we really just fooling ourselves, everybody knows that coolest sidearm is the bullwhip, just ask Dr. Jones.  Of course he did also carry a .45 caliber 1917 revolver, either a S&W or a Colt, never could figure out which.

FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
Fairly standard stuff for me - pistols vary; for bad guys its always the Luger or Broomhandle Mauser; for good guys its got to be a .45 Colt or a .445 Webley if your British (although the Dane in Miller's Crossing uses one too).

Shotguns are always fun and its got to be the Winchester Model 1897 Trench Broom.

SMGs are rare in the pulp era so you are fairly limited to MP18/28 or Thompson, but a Mauser Schnellfeuer is quite cool, if wildely inaccurate.

Long rifles are an odd one as characters tend not to use them, and even then carbines are more handy. I guess the Winchester Model 1895 or the good old SMLE.

Exotic stuff would be the BAR, .416 John Rigby & Co Elephant Gun, or Mauser 1918 TuF Gewehr
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

former user

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
has anyone ever heard of the Russian obreza ?
it is described as an army rifle with sawn-off barrel and stock, used by peasants to defend themselves
found a picture

seems a weird concept to me
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:32:49 AM by bedwyr »

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
I think everyone has their own favorite pulp sidearm and it seems everyone loves that sidearm.

Here is a picture of LAF's own peaceful Pil, who gave up his normal artistic endeavors at a chance to go ape with a bang-bang.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

former user

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
is this CG?
if not, "Planet of the Apes" is calling....

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »
You should see a werewolf do it ! Actually former user I'm planning on using the Hasslefree Harby as the basis of a werewolf conversion,your comment's are just the inspiration I need  :D Said werewolf will be wearing British battledress,he is known as the 'Captain',I would also like to do him in a Denison Smock.......arrgh stolen my own thread,lupine rambling.........

former user

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
You can't steal Your own thread ;)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
To be honest, as much as I love the look of the broom-handle, I'd probably go with something with more stopping power.

Then I'd arm myself like Rick in the Mummy movies.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
Exactly!