Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking of starting Eastern Renaissance in 10mm  (Read 779 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Thinking of starting Eastern Renaissance in 10mm
« on: February 15, 2022, 01:01:06 AM »
Thinking of starting Eastern Renaissance in 10mm - largely because I have always wanted to do Polish Winged Hussars.

Rules wise I am thinking of using the very impressive looking By Fire and Sword rules. Anyone tried these rules? See: http://www.fireandsword.wargamer.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=58

Any thoughts welcome including availability in UK to do this period in this scale and bolster the Pendraken and Irregular ranges. Hoping I can use some of my ECW.

Want 10mm so as to avoid spending too much on time, money and storage. Also want to be able to have lots of cavalry opportunities for maneuver and flanking.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:31:08 AM by Golgotha »

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
Re: Thinking of starting Eastern Renaissance in 10mm
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 01:46:08 AM »
A new version of By Fire and Sword is in the works... I think they are kickstaring the production of the rulebook in a few months. The current rules are good but I am not an expert in them. They are nicely focused on the period though so give a lot of flavour and options to players. The game scales from quite small engagements to large ones as well so that is good if you like that and the forces are well researched from what I can tell.

As for 10mm - ok that would work but you likely will need to do both side. I assume thats your plan. I have not sure it will really help in storage compared to say 15mm though if you are using standard 40mm wide bases. FYI the By Fire and Sword models in 15mm are really nice. Old Glory and others also do great figs in that scale as well. With those although a bit bigger you likely will have less on a base as well. and have even more fun painting them... you may also find more opponents but that depends on your location.

My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 07:57:51 AM »
I’m a big fan of 10mm, so will always champion that as a scale choice. If you already have terrain in 10mm (and have ECW figures) then it would seem sensible to stick with this.

Pendraken are a good choice, and have added some more codes into their Renaissance ranges recently - whilst they are not specifically eastern ones, they may work.

Warmonger miniatures in the USA have some very nice Landsnecknets if these fit in era wise?

New Line miniatures and Lancashire games are worth a look

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »

Warmonger miniatures in the USA have some very nice Landsnecknets if these fit in era wise?

Landsnecknets are way to early but ECW figs would work for the period.