Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Does it matter if we don't finish the game?  (Read 2231 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Does it matter if we don't finish the game?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 11:27:23 AM »
So many real world operations are 'on the clock', it's only to be expected that tabletop wargames reflect that.

Think of things like:
- Capture the bridge before the transport column arrives
- Defeat the enemy before nightfall (because they rule the night)
- Gather the intel and exfil before the carpet bombing begins
- Hold out until the relief column arrives

And I could go on.

In my mind, all set game lengths can be explained away in a similar fashion, should justification for the set game length be required.

Set game lengths are also in place because a typical game round lasts a certain time, so one can roughly determine how long a game will last. Which is useful when planning a game within a set timeframe, such as a typical week/school night. Most gamers do not have the luxury of all the time in the world, so compromises need to be made.

Which is why I absolutely have no issue with game turn limits. In fact, it's basically the only way I tend to game, if only to manage my (and my opponent's) time...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
Great discussion about time and fixed game lengths! Clausewitz says something to the effect of it is always in the weaker side's interest to play for time, in the hope that the larger situation will change to its advantage. In a wargame, one side should usually be under time pressure of some kind, for the types of real-world reason Daeothar lists above. And in game terms, it's an important ingredient in the formula I like for my historical refights. Anyway, I can see I really need to devote a post just to this topic.

Thanks for all the comments!

Chris

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 09:59:33 AM »
I must be in a minority because it doesn't bother me at all not finishing a game. lol
Admittedly it doesn't happen very often that we don't finish a game.
Two occasions spring to mind one of a game never being played and one that would not end.
The first I think I've mentioned before As both of Us had just spent a week building a display. We thought a game would be a nice way to start the weekend.  We set up the table both of us spent sometime looking at how pretty it looked. Then looked at each other and in perfect sync said"Pub?"
The unending game was a ten player game of Epic when we worked for GW( it was a compulsory game only way out .was to be wiped out.)It was a Friday  afternoon So we played in suicidal mode. Tony was out in under an hour. I was planning Imperial Guards. I managed to destroy my entire force at a similar speed.With .... the exception of four stands of Rough Riders These little sod's would not die. They just kept sitting on that bloody hill and rolling six after six after six( I must have rolled just about every six I'm allowed in my entire life.because ever since they've become rarer than hen's teeth.) The worst part was this became a focal point for everyone playing .So I couldn't even claim to be wiped out.
The command stand lasted until 8pm passing modifier after modifier !and it was 9pm before we got out as everyone wanted to recount how they'd held out. Two hours after a couple of selfrespecting single Hull Lad's in their twenties would normally be in a pub on a Friday night.
Following Monday I sold the treacherous little buggers and have never played Epic again.

We tend to have set games in turns of hours rather than a set number of turns.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 12:57:32 PM »
If you had asked me this 5 years ago, I would have said 'Absolutely'. Reason being, back then all my games were played on our dining room table and it needed to be freed up for mealtimes.

Nowadays, with a dedicated hobby space, if a game doesn't finish in time, we just document where we got to and leave it on the table.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 02:18:59 PM »
Again it's all fun so how you enjoy your hobby - but I think there has to be some reasonable limit to game time. Whether it's real life or in the game depends ion the type of gaming experience desired. Days are not infinite in length and people do not have an unlimited level of energy - plus circumstances change. That is for both in the game and real world. :)

Many games/scenario's have this built in - such as with turn limits or the countdown clock. Some games can even have real world time limits - Bloodbowl being a great example with 4 minute per players turn limit, but most tournaments do this as well in one way or another. Other games have things like stargraves (or zombicide) have escalating opposing powers turning up to end/make the game progressively harder as it goes longer.

Unlimited game turns/time, just like unlimited command and control significantly effect the game played. So changing this gives different style of gaming experience - and likely gaming tactics. Some may like it but without it there is likely a missing level of jeopardy in many games.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 02:20:47 PM by mellis1644 »
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/