Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Army Painter Speed Paints Reactivation Issue  (Read 2438 times)

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
Army Painter Speed Paints Reactivation Issue
« on: February 22, 2022, 06:48:34 PM »
So a lot of online commentary has been given to comparing AP Speed paints to GW Contrast paints. However recently an issue with Speedpaints has come up where the paint will "reactivate" with the application of another color on top causing bleed through of the Speedpaint.

Has anyone worked with these paints yet? (other than the various You tubers ofc!) Anyone have this problem? I have a set preordered but AFAIK they have not reached the US yet.

Thanks

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
Re: Army Painter Speed Paints Reactivation Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 07:09:46 PM »
Not seen anything yet, but have only just ordered some.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 11:24:46 AM »
I read that on Dakka as well. Scroll down for stahly's review : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/150/801277.page#11310004

My frustrations with painting are gaps and mold lines and eyes, and neither contrast nor speedpaints take care of that. Both paints still require you prime the miniature, and I already do that with colored primers, which I follow with a wash.

Goobertown Hobbies (which endorses speedpaint) has a video that replaces contrast paint with 50/50 matte medium and acrylic ink, with a few drops of flow aid. A redditor tested out these formula with good results. I'm already using Les Burseley's (sp) wash recipe (matte medium, flow aid, acrylic ink, water), so will eventually use the GH formula if I need a contrast paint medium.

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/co3l41/diy_contrastlike_paints_using_acrylic_inks/

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 01:28:13 PM »
This Twitter thread captures a lot of the concern around the Speedpaints and that you have to varnish over each layer - but, that it can't be a brush-on varnish because that'll give you the same problem. Airbrush or spray.

EDIT Helps if I add the actual link - https://twitter.com/sonicsledge/status/1495650933224652803
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:10:21 PM by nozza_uk »

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 05:21:16 PM »
Goobertown Hobbies (which endorses speedpaint) has a video that replaces contrast paint with 50/50 matte medium and acrylic ink, with a few drops of flow aid. A redditor tested out these formula with good results. I'm already using Les Burseley's (sp) wash recipe (matte medium, flow aid, acrylic ink, water), so will eventually use the GH formula if I need a contrast paint medium.

I started with Brent's formula, and now my baseline is a ratio of one drop of ink, one drop of medium, one drop of a solution of Flow-Aid (20 parts water to one part Flow Aid, as per the guidance on the bottle). I mentioned his formula on BoardGameGeek and another user mentioned that the Flow-Aid is supposed to be mixed with water and not used concentrated, so I tried it and it worked.

I am going to test 2:2:1 next to see how it looks.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 01:22:36 AM »
Thanks, Grout! Ahmanagonna use your ratio in my signature files to save our fellow painters a few bucks. And reactivation issues.  :D

Gregor on Dakka: Army Painter Twitter account has responded and shown that reactivating is a cause of very slow cure time. Both AP and Juan Hidalgo have reported that given enough time to dry, the paint does eventually cure and seal as a basecoat.

Hildago, a reviewer: Hidalgo said in his original review they were reactivating after a hairdryer and 2 days... so are we talking a week or something for them to fully cure?

Stahly, another: Yeah, didn't Stahly wait 24 hours for his testing, too?

Me: I think I'll stick to brushing on colored primers and a wash. USA Airbrush Supply has a BOGO on the holidays. :D

EDIT: Garfield666 on Dakka: "Sooo... I painted some WF Cannon Fodder with their orange jumpsuits on monday. Painted the backpanel white with Vallejo the same evening - reactivated in an orange mess. Today (friday), painted over the area again in white - reactivated almost instantly. So I don't really believe their excuses. This is either flawed or deliberately swept under the (marketing) rug. Don't get me wrong - the colour feels good to paint and the results are nice. But only being able to paint over it with very dark colours severely limits the usefullness for me. Without the reactivating issue, I would rate these as amazing colours in their own right."

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Irdiumstern on Dakka says the paint reactivates with water. "What primer are you using? I've waited 24 hours, applied a bit of water via brush, and the color reactivated." IIRC, GW's contrast paints reactivate with contrast medium.

EDIT EDIT: Bogenwald paints his 6mm. As an experiment, he painted white over a red flag that was dried for 24 hours and got this.

https://bogenwald.blog/2022/02/23/speedpaints-day-2/

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:45:27 AM by ced1106 »