Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690634
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Figures for Bukhara, Turcomen etc  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Triarii

• Assistant
Figures for Bukhara, Turcomen etc
« on: February 27, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »
I'm putting together a deliberately rag-tag 28mm Transcaucasian army, from the places sandwiched between the NW Frontier and Russia.
I have some White Russians, a few converted Afghans and some pulp odds and ends, to be filled out with others as the fancy takes me.

Can anyone recommend any bespoke figures for this area, and in particular any heads suitable for converting those I already have. Uzbeks, Kahzaks etc would also do.

Thanks.
We are where we are.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
Re: Figures for Bukhara, Turcomen etc
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »
Outpost wargaming services do some Caucasians in their Russo-Turkish war line. Tiger miniatures also do some for Russian colonialism and then there's Turcoman's which Wargames foundry sell in their Afghan war range.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 06:07:23 PM »
In addition to the figures mentioned by DonkeyMM:

Askari Miniatures has some Central Asians:
https://askari-minis.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37

Some of the Foundry Afghans have Turkmen hats but they are not 'bespoke' for central Asia https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/the-north-west-frontier-1880-1908/products/nw034-afghan-heratis-cavalry  (whoops, alrady mentioned by the D-man!)

Siberia Miniatures are probably not going to be available for a while, but they have 'Basmachis' inspired more by Soviet cinema than by anything else:
http://siberia-miniatures.ru/index.php?cPath=41_39_51_156&osCsid=0942c68fdafbaff32f993f3d0b6cda70

Offline Triarii

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »
Brilliant. The Outpost ones are spot on - forgot I had a link to their site. Onto the WF site next and those kindly pointed out by Will Bailie.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 01:51:04 AM »
I have separate heads that allow you to create any tribes of "Russian" Central Asia - Turkmens, Kirghiz, Kazakhs.

While I can take and send orders. PayPal payment on my request for payment and in Russian rubles. But, probably, the speed of delivery in Europe will now be reduced, as it will be carried out by land transport.

Offline Triarii

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 06:58:13 PM »
Aha. So you do. :D I see your problem in getting things where they need to go. I guess getting feedback on delivery times will take a month or two.

Offline Triarii

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 07:00:19 PM »
Anyone got any Orbats for the various forces in the Basmachi sphere of operations, whichever side they were on? My Google Fu has failed me. Found some nice articles and photos, but limited info on military forces.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 02:31:35 AM »
Yes, now the delivery of orders from Russia will be long. Only land transport (at least - before crossing the border).

Here is a topic about Basmachi on my forum (use Google translator for reading):  http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?fid=12&tid=10&block=0

If you have any specific questions, I'm ready to answer.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 03:24:26 AM »
Anyone got any Orbats for the various forces in the Basmachi sphere of operations, whichever side they were on? My Google Fu has failed me. Found some nice articles and photos, but limited info on military forces.

If you mean the period of most intense fighting from 1921 to 1923, then most of it was done by the Soviet 11th Cavalry Division. Certainly for gaming purposes they will be all you need, with some air support.

While the Basmachis did form units, they didn't have rear area staff who wrote down reports. So you won't find anything much for them.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »
Yes, now the delivery of orders from Russia will be long. Only land transport (at least - before crossing the border).

Here is a topic about Basmachi on my forum (use Google translator for reading):  http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?fid=12&tid=10&block=0

If you have any specific questions, I'm ready to answer.

I second what Cuprum says.  He has brilliant resources (and darned good figures!)
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 05:17:01 PM »
If you mean the period of most intense fighting from 1921 to 1923, then most of it was done by the Soviet 11th Cavalry Division. Certainly for gaming purposes they will be all you need, with some air support.

While the Basmachis did form units, they didn't have rear area staff who wrote down reports. So you won't find anything much for them.

Would the 11th be a standard divisional cavalry formation for that theatre as far as you know Mark?

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 10:31:27 PM »
Apart from being better supplied with support than the RCW equivalents, yes, it was standard. They did find that their tachankas and artillery didn't go up the mountain-sides very well though. Air support was a major aid.

It had fought with Budenny's First Horse Army, then was used to mop up Makhno, before being sent to Turkestan. It was presumably quite a veteran unit by this stage.

You can find its time line here: https://pygmywars.com/rcw/history/orbats/redcavalry.html

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 03:23:31 AM »
The 11th Cavalry Division was formed from the workers of the city of Tula. The vast majority of them were veterans of the First World War and had previously served in the cavalry. In 1919, the division was outfitted in hussar uniforms embroidered with cords on the chest (the color is unknown to me), red pants, green "caftans" (very rare overcoats of the 1919 model, with colored flaps on the chest - they were blue in the cavalry), Budyonovka with a blue cavalry star.
True, it is not known how much of this uniform was preserved by the time the division appeared in Turkestan, but the fact that many could continue to wear these items of clothing is obvious.
Here is a picture depicting the riders of this division in battle with the Whites (but the stars are painted in red, which does not match the descriptions of eyewitnesses). The author of the picture is Nikolai Samokish. The picture was painted in 1922.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 03:38:27 AM »
7th Turkestan Cavalry Brigade.

It included the 1st Soviet Labor Cossacks Regiment formed in the Ural Region from Cossacks (founded in January 1918) and the 4th Soviet Labor Cossacks Regiment (formed in April 1919). Later renamed the 12th and 11th cavalry regiments, respectively, they were transferred in November 1919 to the Turkestan front and form a brigade in the 3rd Turkestan cavalry division.

In September-December 1920, the 12th Cavalry Regiment, renamed the 16th and 11th Cavalry Regiment, renamed the 15th Orenburg, are part of the 1st Turkestan Cavalry Division, forming the basis for its formation.

In 1921-22, the 1st Turkestan cavalry division in Eastern Bukhara was reorganized into the 1st separate cavalry brigade, consisting of:
   15th Cavalry Regiment, renamed 1st Alai,
   16th Cavalry Regiment, renamed 2nd Gissar,
   1st separate horse-mountain battery, a separate sapper half-squadron and a communications half-squadron.

In 1922, the 3rd cavalry regiment was included in the brigade, which had been operating since February 1922 in the Fergana region against Enver Pasha. For the capture of Baldzhuan, the regiment received the name "Boldzhuansky".

In August 1924, the brigade was renamed the 7th separate Turkestan cavalry brigade, and its regiments: the 1st Alay cavalry regiment - into the 79th cavalry regiment, the 2nd Gissar - into the 80th, 3rd Boldzhuan - into 81 th Cavalry Regiment.

The painting by P. Kotov, written in 1926, depicts the attack of the 1st Turkestan cavalry brigade, which was awarded for distinction in the Gissar operation of 1920-1921 special uniform - crimson pants with a yellow piping and crimson-colored hats: for command personnel - caps with a visor, for soldiers - peakless caps.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 08:54:46 AM »
I second what Cuprum says.  He has brilliant resources (and darned good figures!)

Indeed. I've been meaning to get these bachmatis for a while but given the situation I think it will be a yet another while.