Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brunswickers figure search  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Brunswickers figure search
« on: March 09, 2022, 07:44:16 PM »
Looking for 28mm individual "character’ figures of Brunswickers, preferably in the 1809 uniform. Figures have to be on foot and the type of thing I’m after would be the Duke himself, aides, infantry officers, dismounted cavalry officers. Also any general Napoleonic civilian types.

I don’t want to have to buy packs of 5 or 6 infantry to get 1 officer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Brunswickers figure search
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:55:01 PM »
You couldn't resist, I knew it!   ;)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 09:08:25 PM »
You couldn't resist, I knew it!   ;)

Are you stalking me?😄

Doug

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 09:30:27 PM »
 lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 09:50:49 AM »
I'm not sure if the uniforms would work for you, but there may be something here?

https://eaglefigures.co.uk/28mm-nap-brunswick-1815/

Nice figures, available singly and great service. Worth looking through their extensive Naps ranges for civilian types as well. As a lot of them are sculpted by Martin Baker, they would fit nicely with the Trent range for armed civvies, irregulars etc.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm not sure if the uniforms would work for you, but there may be something here?

https://eaglefigures.co.uk/28mm-nap-brunswick-1815/

Nice figures, available singly and great service. Worth looking through their extensive Naps ranges for civilian types as well. As a lot of them are sculpted by Martin Baker, they would fit nicely with the Trent range for armed civvies, irregulars etc.

Thanks, JB. They are rather nice, aren’t they? Unfortunately they’re in the 1815 uniforms :( I want these for this Silver Bayonets malarkey that Mad Lord Snapcase, using his sorcerous arts, has inveigled me into having a go at. I’ll keep looking but if no 1809 types can be found (Perry do them but only in packs with rank and file), I may have to go for the 1815 after all. Quite tempted by some of the Austrians that Eagle have on the site as well.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 02:19:17 PM »
Looking for 28mm individual "character’ figures of Brunswickers, preferably in the 1809 uniform. Figures have to be on foot and the type of thing I’m after would be the Duke himself, aides, infantry officers, dismounted cavalry officers. Also any general Napoleonic civilian types.

First off, you will be lucky to find a dismounted model of the Duke in ANY scale/size, so you will have to look at a conversion - probably a head swap with a suitably dressed foot figure.  I'm not sure if the peaked cap was worn by officers this early on (it certainly was in the Peninsula and 1815), but those might be the most obvious candidates for AdCs on foot.  An infantry officer could make an hussar officer in litewka, but would be missing some belts, cartouche pouch, etc.  Bear in mind that the scharfschutzen officers wore Prussian-style stove-pipe (not quite bell-topped) shakos rather than  the korsehut, and had double-breasted coatees.  The uhlans' uniform was almost identical to that of the 3rd Austrian Uhlans (in fact, some historians think they all came from that regiment originally), and the horse artillery looked not dissimilar to the hussars, so litewkas could have been worn.

The following people make Brunswickers specifically for the 1809 campaign; from memory, only the Minifigs range is anywhere near complete at the time of writing:-
- Perry Miniatures, range just started, available in packs of 6 foot or 3 horse.
- Steve Barber Miniatures, around for a couple of years and being created through their "commission a figure" process; available in packs of 6 r&f/3 command for foot, or 3 r&f/2 command for horse, but the figures you are looking for are all mounted.
- Miniature Figurines, dating back to the 1960s, so true 25mm and therefore small, but might mix as the odd "character" figure if you don't mind some short-arses in the pack.

- Eagle Figures make what are ostensibly 1815 Brunswickers, HOWEVER, several of the ones you want are virtually identical to 1809, AND they sell individual figures.  They also make the only hussars that have an optional pelisse (which wasn't actually issued in 1815 - everyone else has that wrong! - ditto the carbine, which was also not issued in 1815), which would allow you to either make the officer with pelisse, or re-model it with a litewka - both styles were around in 1809.

- Front Rank make some excellent Napoleonic-era civilians and several of their "informal" generals (eg Picton) can be "re-purposed" with nothing more drastic than a canny paint job.  They also make a comprehensive range of Brunswickers, but all for 1815.

Hope that helps,

BvW
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »
Steve barber Models have a small range in the 1809 uniforms. No Duke, but you might find one or two figures to suit.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »
BvW - thank you for that comprehensive post - I shall use it as an aide memoire in my project. Splendid stuff.

I began wargaming with a Brunswick army in 1969. In those days, there was very little information in English about them so my army developed totally ahistorically. A friend of mine was in the BAOR at the time and travelled to Braunschweig and made lots of notes and drawings at the museum there so we probably had more information than most in England for a while.

Anyway, my Brunswick army was made from Minifigs and Hinton Hunt. You are correct in saying the MF were in the litewka however they were 20mm, not 25mm which came a bit later. So, although I have many early Minifigs Brunswickers they are far too small at 20mm for what I want. Nevertheless, your post has shown me several avenues I could follow so thanks for that.

Steve barber Models have a small range in the 1809 uniforms. No Duke, but you might find one or two figures to suit.
Thanks, Matakakea - I’ll pop over there now and have a look

Doug