Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690830
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 9
Guests: 691
Total: 700

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Indian Armies?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Medieval Indian Armies?
« on: March 02, 2022, 06:19:56 PM »
I'm very slowly painting up a Timurid army and have been mulling over who to paint up as opposition, being more inclined toward the Dehli Sultanate.

I don't really know anything about Medieval Indian armies though; anyone able to point me in the direction of good resources?
Did they look much like classical Indian armies?

The next question will be sources for 15mm figures, but first things first any guidance on what the armies of the Dehli Sultanate looked like much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Medieval Indian Armies?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:28:05 PM »
I’ve been looking into this from a 28mm scale perspective!
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 06:28:51 PM »
Thinking 17th and 18th century figures may work, minus any gunpowder weapons of course.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 06:28:57 PM »
Hi Rob,

All I can say is that sometime this year Osprey are going a Men at Arms on Medieval Indian Armies. It is in the Men at Arms series so I would imagine that it is quite threadbare  but it was all I could find on the subject.

I'm not sure what the publishing date is but it is up on Amazon.

I wonder if you could phone up the Royal Armouries and ask what they have in their collection. I think I remember seeing some Moghul arms and armour- quite late but it's a start.

Offline elliesdad

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:28:22 PM »
There is a lovely book “A Military History of Medieval India” by Gurcharn Singh Sandhu. I believe it is out of print and very, very difficult to find. I once saw a battered old copy (and decided to “pass” on buying it - d*mn fool me) it took more than a decade to find another copy. 800+ pages of very detailed information. I highly recommend it - if you can find a copy.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 09:46:04 PM »
There is a lovely book “A Military History of Medieval India” by Gurcharn Singh Sandhu. I believe it is out of print and very, very difficult to find. I once saw a battered old copy (and decided to “pass” on buying it - d*mn fool me) it took more than a decade to find another copy. 800+ pages of very detailed information. I highly recommend it - if you can find a copy.

ABE Books have it:
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31030741039&cm_sp=Searchmod-_-NullResults-_-BDP

Offline elliesdad

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 10:00:47 PM »
ABE Books have it:
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31030741039&cm_sp=Searchmod-_-NullResults-_-BDP

Sadly, the link is to the Military History of Ancient India rather than Medieval India. The Ancient volume is more easily available, the Medieval volume much less so.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 06:01:24 AM »
Blackcrane, medieval Indian armies are covered to a limited extent in Ian Heath's now venerable "Armies of the Middle Ages" Volume 2.My copy dates to 1984. In total 6 pages of text plus 7 line drawings.  I don't know if it was ever updated. It says that Hindu infantry were armed with sword and buckler, javelin and shield or bow. They are described as being "naked from the waist up" and wearing what look like tight shorts! North Indian infantry wear tartar style coats.  Moslem Indian cavalrymen are far more Medieval Islamic/Persian in appearance . I would steer clear of using ancient Indians for this army. Best to look for Medieval Persians. The "Indus Miniatures" sword and bow-armed Hindu infantry look far more appropriate....if you can track them down!       

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 09:15:25 AM »
Blackcrane, medieval Indian armies are covered to a limited extent in Ian Heath's now venerable "Armies of the Middle Ages" Volume 2.My copy dates to 1984. In total 6 pages of text plus 7 line drawings.  I don't know if it was ever updated. It says that Hindu infantry were armed with sword and buckler, javelin and shield or bow. They are described as being "naked from the waist up" and wearing what look like tight shorts! North Indian infantry wear tartar style coats.  Moslem Indian cavalrymen are far more Medieval Islamic/Persian in appearance . I would steer clear of using ancient Indians for this army. Best to look for Medieval Persians. The "Indus Miniatures" sword and bow-armed Hindu infantry look far more appropriate....if you can track them down!     

An excellent source SJWi! I really don't know why I keep forgetting about Heath's "Armies of the Middle Ages" volumes!!

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 10:38:32 AM »
Atheling, as you say an excellent source. I just don’t know how well they have stood the test of time. That said nothing much else has come along to replace them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »
Atheling, as you say an excellent source. I just don’t know how well they have stood the test of time. That said nothing much else has come along to replace them.

Yeah, they were definitely a "go to" resource and as you say, the info might be outdated but both books, although not currently available from the WRG site, there's a copy available on ABE Books:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30810872367&searchurl=kn%3Darmies%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bmiddle%2Bages%2Bheath%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title2

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 02:20:52 PM »
Your in luck guys!

I’ve been sorting out in my man cave this morning,
Would you believe I have 3 copies of Volume 2!
Ian Heath, Armies of the Middle Ages.
Sadly only 1 copy of Volume 1.

So I’ve got two spare Volume Number 2
PM me for a deal.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 05:15:29 PM »
Your in luck guys!

I’ve been sorting out in my man cave this morning,
Would you believe I have 3 copies of Volume 2!
Ian Heath, Armies of the Middle Ages.
Sadly only 1 copy of Volume 1.

So I’ve got two spare Volume Number 2
PM me for a deal.

How did you end up with three copies of Volume 2 Tim?  lol

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 05:48:39 PM »
No idea, I think I’ve got the extra ones after doing deals and people throwing in some books?
And only one copy of volume 1?

I’ve discovered a fair few of those old WRG books and duplicates of them.

I may put them in the bazaar.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 05:56:33 PM »
No idea, I think I’ve got the extra ones after doing deals and people throwing in some books?
And only one copy of volume 1?

I’ve discovered a fair few of those old WRG books and duplicates of them.

I may put them in the bazaar.

I would do if you have duplicates :)