Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685063
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perilous Island 12: Hell Unleashed  (Read 1335 times)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
Perilous Island 12: Hell Unleashed
« on: October 31, 2022, 06:05:12 AM »
The sounds of the Guardian faded behind Guy as the great gate slammed shut. Quickly, he spied some stairs leading to the top of the wall and he raced up them. He secured a length of rope to the top and threw it over, calling for Ruairidh to get up as quickly as he could. Then he turned around, shocked by what he saw. The once majestic city lay ahead, blackened and ruined. Lava spilled from multiple fissures in the ground, which constantly rumbled and cracked, allowing more molten rock to make its way to the surface. The heat was almost unbearable. At the end of what was once a grand thoroughfare, an unholy temple pulsed with an evil glow. Stumbling up the steps of the temple was none other than Lord Darrow! In his arms, he clutched an orb of an unrecognizable material. Worshipped as a god by the ancient Atlanteans, the Elder Stone glowed and pulsed with unimaginable power. This was what they had come looking for!
Strange ghostly vapors lashed out from the stone and were absorbed into Lord Darrow’s being, each one wracking his body with crackling energy, twisting his form into a mocking parody of Darrow’s human existence. Covered in blisters and burns, his face contorted with rage, fear, and pain as he screamed,
“You should not have come. It is too late for me. Go now! You all shall be destroyed...”
With each word Darrow’s form suffered horrific mutations, sprouting sickening tumorous growths. In mere seconds, the horrific transformation was complete.
“I am the Thrice-Damned Wanderer!”, he bellowed in a strange guttural voice.
Everywhere around them, the very elements of nature began to be torn asunder, as they bent to the Wanderer’s will. Sensing that they had little time to stop whatever was about to happen, Guy started running…

Judging the rickety ruins to be safer than the lava covered ground, Guy and his friends mounted some wooden stairs and took temporary refuge from the brewing storm on a platform. Lady Elaine could see the thing that had been her father on top of the temple and she wept for what was happening to him. Guy himself climbed a ladder to a higher level to determine the best way to reach the temple. He realized that he also made an excellent target as bullets suddenly zipped past him. He had temporarily forgotten that the scorpion cult had also made it through the gate and into the ruined city.

Seeing his nemesis silhouetted against the sky had been too big a temptation for the Scorpion Master to ignore. He had ordered his followers to find shooting positions and take the man down. The constant earth tremors and smoke obscuring the sun made it hard to properly aim and their shooting proved ineffective.

Gale force winds began to whirl around The Wanderer, violently hurling dirt and dangerous debris through the air. Dodging the detritus flying around him as best he could Guy pressed on, crossing a wooden ramp that bridged the gap between his tower and some old scaffolding. Mallory and Penny, following below, began to climb up to join him. Guy yelled for them to stay put. He wished that his sister was far away from this place but since that was an impossibility, he was determined that she not get any closer to danger than she currently was. Mallory pulled Penny close and shielded her with his body as best he could.

On the other side of the pyramid temple the cultist known as the Professor was inching forward, doing his best to avoid being struck by the objects being flung around. Sadly for him his best wasn’t good enough and he sunk to the wood below him as a large stone cracked against his skull. The Scorpion Master cried out in frustration and set out to do it himself.

A voice floated from the smoke followed by barking. Ruairidh and Finn had made it over the wall. The Scotsman appeared from the haze, running at full speed with the dog at his heels. He appeared determined to reach his friend as soon as he could and aid him in whatever way possible. He was soon distracted by more lava pouring up from the depths as large chunks of earth ripped themselves into the air. He grabbed the dog and jumped to the nearest platform, narrowly avoiding a flow of molten rock in the place where he had previously stood.

Seeing his chance, Guy leapt to the pyramid. The winds were so great they almost carried him off the edge but he manoeuvred himself well and managed to stay on top. He turned and found himself face to face with the bloody lump of flesh that used to be Lord Darrow. The face within was wracked with torment and Guy felt a moment of pity for the noble man he had been. Spotting the glowing orb partly absorbed into the creature’s body Guy reached out and grabbed it as best he could. He wrestled with it for a moment and then, with a sickening sucking sound, it gave way.

Wrenching the orb from the Wanderer’s slimy innards triggered a reverse-transformation which was almost instantaneous. The Wanderer reverted back into Lord Darrow, who collapsed into a heap, crippled by the ordeal. In the distance he caught sight of his daughter, Elaine, and it brought a human quality back into his eyes as he breathed his final breath.
With Lord Darrow’s passing, the Elder Stone ceased to glow and within seconds crumbled to dust. As if the crumbling orb were a death rattle, the island shook violently, and ashen smoke billowed from the volcano! It was time to get off this island.

Offline Reviler

• Student
Re: Perilous Island 12: Hell Unleashed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »
Your aars are amazing. Your terrain is also fantastic. Where do you get your terrain, if I may ask? Keep it up, as I thoroughly enjoy your stories!

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 09:31:48 PM »
Your aars are amazing. Your terrain is also fantastic. Where do you get your terrain, if I may ask? Keep it up, as I thoroughly enjoy your stories!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the reports. As long as people keep reading them I'll keep posting them.

I get my terrain from a variety of places. The buildings in this scenario are all from GW Warcry sets, mostly the very first starter. The pyramid and game board are also from GW. The lava pits came from Amazon and appeared in a random ad. They must have heard me talking about volcanoes and lava and stuff...

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 09:49:06 PM »
Fantastic stuff  8) 8) 8)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 04:34:02 PM »
At least Lord Darrow suffers no more.

And somebody needs to send The Scorpion Master into a permanent oblivion. Of course, in most scripts, that will be the climactic scene...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 07:25:58 AM »
How did I miss this one? Brilliant stuff, as always. Inspirational. Posts like this always help when my motivation to paint begins to falter.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 11:00:00 PM »
Sorry I've still not got beyond story 7 but don't stop, I'll catch up. 8)
cheers