Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:30:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Borsetshire Diaries: The Grumblers Go Forth - Conclusion  (Read 13774 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Borsetshire Diaries: The Grumblers Go Forth
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »
"That Peregrine Snapcase is a real card, quite a hoot! These Grumblers have no bloody sense of humour!"

Story continuing to very absorbing, keep it coming.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2022, 05:58:57 PM »
I return to Blighty and what do I  find but the Grumblers running amok in some dark scary wood and Seldom Penitent frightened of a Snapcase fish head.

It really won't do, where's their backbone, they must pull themselves together and advance in a bold, brave style. Even if it is to their death.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2022, 06:40:07 PM »
"These Grumblers have no bloody sense of humour!"
It could be that the clue is in the name ;)

Story continuing to very absorbing, keep it coming.
Thanks - not having any real control over any of the characters gives it a different feel from my usual games.

I return to Blighty and what do I  find but the Grumblers running amok in some dark scary wood and Seldom Penitent frightened of a Snapcase fish head.

It really won't do, where's their backbone, they must pull themselves together and advance in a bold, brave style. Even if it is to their death.
I think you may be expecting too much from The Grumblers but you never know. And welcome back from your travels.

Doug

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2022, 11:30:33 PM »
Quite the entertaining read! I think you are definitely on the right track for a fun solo
game!!

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2022, 08:41:13 PM »
Well, it's always darkest just before the dawn.  That's hat "they" say.  Whoever "they" are...

Presuming that particular adage is based in reality, mayhaps the Grumblers will sort themselves out and get on with the business at hand......
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2022, 09:41:23 PM »
Quite the entertaining read! I think you are definitely on the right track for a fun solo
game!!

Mike Demana
Thank, Mike. I have a couple more Turns to write up but I’ve been otherwise engaged.

Well, it's always darkest just before the dawn.  That's hat "they" say.  Whoever "they" are...

Presuming that particular adage is based in reality, mayhaps the Grumblers will sort themselves out and get on with the business at hand......
They don’t appear to be I regret to say. Details later but it’s fir to say that some of The Grumblers have a lot more to grumble about than previously. :(

Doug

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2022, 01:31:19 PM »
They don’t appear to be I regret to say. Details later but it’s fir to say that some of The Grumblers have a lot more to grumble about than previously. :(

Doug

Oh.  I see.  Well, that doesn't sound good at all... :'(

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »
He turns and runs, trips over a root, falls heavily, hits his head and loses consciousness.
Peregrine, preoccupied with trying to find the park gates, is unaware of Seldom and his predicament.
<this incident was resolved by the usual rolls-a-die method - I hadn’t made rules in advance to cover it. I thought that someone who’d failed to move for "X" turns because his courage failed him, was now alone with no torch or lantern, in a spooky place where supernatural beings may be lurking was very likely to panic. But I gave him a chance not to. However, he failed his dice roll (he got "1" on a d10) so he ran. Another dice roll had him tripping up and a third roll had him knocked unconscious. Then it occurred to that he may have yelled in terror on seeing Peregrine or just ran in silence. If he yelled or screamed, it may effect the rest of his group, now out of sight. More dice rolls. I reckoned it was more than evens that he’d cry out, given his character and circumstances. Result - he screams; this may affect what Rev Mother and his two followers do next Turn. In an ordinary game, all these impromptu dice rolls would be tedious but in a solo game, it doesn’t matter. The game will probably take weeks to resolve so no rush>.

I like these tests and their explanation.  :)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2022, 04:23:49 PM »
Crikey - it appears that I’ve left The Grumblers stumbling and mumbling round in the dark since July. It’s time to find out what they’ve been up to.

Turn 6. Things are are not going well with Magnus P.I.’s group. The man himself is fine, he’s an old hand at this but his companions are less confident. Gently and Savage are both willing <Courage Test passed> but somewhat uncertain what to do. Consequently, Gently doesn’t move and Savage wanders off to the right. Magnus, and the comforting light from his lantern, disappear amongst the undergrowth.

Things are not dissimilar with the other group. Nocraties and Ping get a fit of the jitters and refuse to go forward, perhaps unnerved by Penitent’s screamCourage Test failed. The Reverend Mother is more confident but not enough to move too far. After a whispered discussion, it’s agreed that Dr Ping should go back and try and find Penitent - the scream they heard last Turn needs investigating.

Here we see Penitent, prone and unconscious. Ping on his way back to check on him. Nocraties, nervous and unable to move and the Reverend moving bravely onwards. And remember, it’s DARK

Suddenly, two figures are illuminated in the Reverend’s lantern beam. His courage momentarily fails him but fortunately, he quickly recognises that these are merely pranksters. It’s Crispin Raunchy-Bolivar and his cousin, Tamburlaine Ferrari, a member of the fast-set. The Reverend is the only one to meet these two because Nocraties’ courage has failed and he hasn’t moved and Ping has gone back towards where he hopes to find Penitent. The Reverend’s patience and bravery have been sorely tested so he sends the two pranksters off with some choice words which rather surprise them. Chastened, they scurry off home.

Meanwhile, despite being led by the famous Magnus P.I., the other group (including the famous Magnus PI) remain motionless, overcome with fear and separated from one another.all three fail Courage Test

So far, The Grumblers have been pretty hopeless. They’ve been spooked by pranksters, got lost in the dark and failed to find out anything useful. Can they up their game before the night is over? Will they even survive the night? Time to find out.

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2022, 07:52:02 PM »
I don't think you should count the Grumbler's out just yet. I'm sure there's life in the old dogs yet.

Glad to see you're continuing the story, only problem is that I'm going to have to go back 7 pages to find out what the hell is going on, my memory ain't what it used to be.

It's a bit like every morning I look in the mirror and think "whose that handsome chap", followed a few moments later by "what is he doing in my bathroom".

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2022, 10:16:17 PM »
I don't think you should count the Grumbler's out just yet. I'm sure there's life in the old dogs yet.

Glad to see you're continuing the story, only problem is that I'm going to have to go back 7 pages to find out what the hell is going on, my memory ain't what it used to be.

It's a bit like every morning I look in the mirror and think "whose that handsome chap", followed a few moments later by "what is he doing in my bathroom".

He heard you were home. :D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2022, 08:03:45 AM »
Tamburlaine Ferrari, a member of the fast-set
   lol   lol

Glad to see the Grumblers back in action.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2022, 03:41:30 PM »
Well - maybe…..

Same with me - I hadn’t got a clue :)

lol   lol

Glad to see the Grumblers back in action.
I suppose you could call it action

Anyway - onwards:

Crispin and Tamburlaine slouch away, carrying their papier-mâché heads. They pass Nocraties who adds his angry opinion of their behavior to that of the Reverend who he then rejoins. And not a moment too soon. Another figure has been picked out by the yellow beam of the cleric’s lamp and both he and Nocraties instantly recognise that this is a genuinely malevolent creature. They are both undeterred by the apparition despite the fact that if appears to be a man with a fox’s head….! However, only the Reverend Mother is able to battle this monstrosity - Nocraties is not close enough. Wielding a large metal wrench, which fortunately he remembered to Bless, he batters the creature although not terminally. The creature responds but fails to land a blow on the Reverend.

Mother and Nocraties face the fearsome unknown. The Reverend is making sure he doesn’t lose his lamp by securing it with a massive wodge of blu-tac

Elsewhere, Ping has reached Penitent and finds him unharmed but also unmanned! He, Penitent, decides this work is not for him and flees to safety. Ping is made of sterner stuff and resolves to rejoin Nocraties and the Reverend.

Magnus, realising he is on his own, retraces his steps in an effort to find his companions.

He’s out of luck. They both have lost their nerve and made the same decision as Penitent.

Gently and Savage slink off to fing safety and a warm fire

The Grumblers have lost nearly half their number without so much as taking a scratch, other than those received from the brambles in the undergrowth.

Where are we now? Blimey - it’s Turn 9; how did that happen? Anyway, the experience of encountering a real inhuman creature has had a lowering effect on the Reverend and Nocraties <Courage permanently reduced as a result of encountering paranormal>. However, Nocraties’ remains undaunted. The Reverend, however, does not although he stands his ground. They both continue to battle the creature but neither they nor it cause any damage. The creature appears to be regaining some of the vigour it lost after being hit by the Reverend earlier.

Reverend Mother and the Foxman battle it out

Dr Ping has decided to try and find the Reverend and Nocraties and the sounds of their melée help guide him in the right direction.

Magnus P.I. is feeling nervous, being unable to find his erstwhile companions. He is reluctant to advance so spends his time vainly searching for Gently and Savage. They have long since departed to safety.

Whilst at his lowest ebb, Magnus is suddenly confronted by a terrifying apparition - vaguely human in shape but more like a shadow than a solid being. He recognises it as inhuman instantly and from somewhere finds untapped depths of courage. He draws his pistol, shoots and - disaster, he misses! The sound of the pistol shoot booms round the park - loud enough to wake the dead and, indeed, anything else lurking in the undergrowth. The creature or ghost or non corporeal form or whatever it is, lunges at him but he avoids its touch.

Magnus P.I. faces something really scary or maybe an overinflated inner-tube?

On the other side of the park, all 3 remaining Grumblers have their peckers well and truly up but neither Nocraties or the Reverend can land a blow on their adversary. Fortunately, it is not able to injure either of them. Ping, meanwhile is bravely trying to get back to them to help but loses his way and veers off to the left.

Another pistol shot! This time Magus hits; so the creature is at least solid enough to stop a bullet. It strikes wildly at Magnus and, Praise Be, misses again.

But, alerted perhaps by the sound of the shots, another robed figure appears, this time next to the Reverend. He and Nocraties recognise it immediately as something evil, even before it hisses "Die, worm" at the Reverend in a distinctly unfriendly way. Leaving Nocraties to battle the animal man, the Reverend swings at the new threat with his trusty wrench and is rewarded by a satisfyingly crunchy hit on a solid target. The resulting cry of pain is distinctly human. Even better, the Reverend’s opponent (which we can now positively identify as a cultist) is unable to land a blow on the vicar. Meanwhile, Nocraties and Foxman grapple to no effect.

This has all taken us to Turn 12 and this time, there are more successes amongst the contestants. Nocraties and Foxman hit each other with Nocraties landing the shrewder blow. Both remain standing however. The Reverend and the cultist also successfully exchange blows, the Reverend getting the better of it. Magnus P.I. is not struck but in response, he shoots his opponent again and with devastating effect; the creature crumples and collapses, all life departed.

Some success at last for The Grumblers but the situation is still desperate with nearly half their number having fled the field and monstrous enemies appearing from the dark. The mildly exciting conclusion follows

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2022, 05:10:04 PM »
Some success at last for The Grumblers but the situation is still desperate with nearly half their number having fled the field and monstrous enemies appearing from the dark.

Things not looking too good for the Grumblers, but being Grumblers, they probably prefer it that way!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2022, 04:36:42 PM »
Things not looking too good for the Grumblers, but being Grumblers, they probably prefer it that way!
You’ve made good use of that metaphorical hammer you’re holding. You’ve gone and hit the metaphorical nail squarely on its head….!

But even as he celebrates, Magnus is faced by a man-creature that he knows immediately to be evil. It has a cat’s head and a man’s body. His courage fails him. He wildly shoots at it and misses. With a scornful snarl, the creature swipes him with a paw that sprouts wicked claws and inflicts a terrible wound.

An amiable pantomime creature? No way - this pussy has claws a foot long and ain’t afraid to use them

Things go better on the other side of the park. Despite being nearly overcome with fear, Nocraties manages to kill the Foxman. The Reverend, brave as ever and roaring like a madman, smashes the cultist with his wrench again and kills him stone dead. Neither of these two Grumblers sustains any hits. Dr Ping rejoins them just too late to join in the melée.

Ping arriving too late to join the melee but witnesses the bloody conclusion

Having dealt with their foes, Nocraties and his companions are in fine fettle. They resolve to press on. Without realising it, they veer to the right. Suddenly, the Reverend’s lamp illuminates a monstrous form. He is unable to prevent himself screaming in terror "my God, a dragon, a dragon!" <fails courage test>. Nerves are understandably raw after the experiences of the night so we can forgive the Reverend’s near hysteria.

However Nocraties is calmer <passes courage test> and pats the vicar on the shoulder. "Don’t worry, old chap - it’s just a statue."
"Ah, quite so" says the Reverend "Of course, should have realised. Somewhat overwrought. Apologies."

At that moment, a truly nerve-jangling scream is heard from the other side of the park. Nocraties, Mother and Ping look at each other "Magnus" says Ping, voicing all their thoughts.

The man/cat creature deals Magnus what may be a deadly blow

As daylight approaches, they find themselves in front of the ruined mansion.

But all their thoughts now are about the fate of Magnus. They have no difficulty finding him as the light strengthens. Dr Ping kneels and examines their comrade. He has been horribly wounded but he is alive. "He may yet live," says Ping "but we must get him to hospital."

And there we leave The Grumblers. They have succeeded in confirming that dark forces are at work in the mansion and its grounds and they have disposed of some cultists and one animal/man creature. However, after tending to Magnus, they return to the site of their fight with fox/man creature so that they can assess the nature of this fell beast.  But there is no sign of the body…! Whether it was still alive and escaped or whether there is some other explanation for its disappearance is not clear. Obviously, The Grumblers expedition,hastily arranged without any proper planning has raised more questions and provided few answers.

And the survival of Magnus P.I. is very much in question…….

That turned out to be an interesting solo game. I didn’t know until the end how it would go - generation of creature type and the time and place of their appearance was all random. The very rough-and-ready rules for Courage worked well enough and the Combat "system", though very basic, gave varied and reasonably swift results. I should carry on this plot line because The Grumblers had a very mixed result and the mystery is not solved. Until it is, the citizens of Fawcett Magna will not sleep easy in their beds or, indeed, anyone else’s.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:40:26 PM by Doug ex-em4 »