Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lion Rampant Viking in the Sun - Southern Italian Principalities  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Knowing almost nothing about this period, and having the other major players in my group already owning armies for every other factions, what would I go about getting if I were to collect a small force for the Byzantine Southern Italians?

Can people point at what I need to search for?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Lion Rampant Viking in the Sun - Southern Italian Principalities
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 09:37:48 AM »
Knowing almost nothing about this period, and having the other major players in my group already owning armies for every other factions, what would I go about getting if I were to collect a small force for the Byzantine Southern Italians?

Can people point at what I need to search for?

I assume you're talking Belisarius' invasion of Italy?

I would definitely got for Aventine as they are the best researched and most up to date range, not to mention that the range is very large!
Aventine Miniatures Byzantine Range:
https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/53_167

I haven't got the Lion Rampant book handy (I've been sorting out books and many are in temporary boxes) but you will need (though certainly in lesser numbers:

Heavy Kavallarioi

Boukellaroi

Armoured Skutatoi

Unarmoured Skutatoi

Extra Heavy Infantry (most lists don't seem to reflect this troop type though Belisarius definitely used them- either they were dismounted Cavalry in the front ranks or specially heavily armoured infantry)

Psiloi (either as archers or bowmen)

Hun Allies

Or, if you are referring to Byzantine Empire Catepanate of Italy from 965 until 1071 then the same principles apply but with later models. I would either use Gripping Beast of Crusader Miniatures for these. The army of the Catepanate was a much more regular forse then that of Belisarius in the previous centuries so avoid the elites of the army and stick to Thematic units as opposed to Tagmatic. Innother words, leave out the barded cavalry, the heavier infantry types. Add a few "Italian" allies.

Gripping Beast Thematic Byzantines:
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Thematic_Byzantines--category--50.html

Crusader Miniatures Thematic Byzantines:
https://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=4&sub=9&page=1

I hope that gives you some insight?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 09:51:38 AM »
The Lion Rampant scenarios are set around the later period, 11th C. Eureka do a small range of Byzantines for this period.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 10:03:56 AM »
wonderful gallery @ Atheling

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 10:06:01 AM »
The Lion Rampant scenarios are set around the later period, 11th C. Eureka do a small range of Byzantines for this period.

Also worth adding, (repeating?) the Gripping Beast and especially the Crusader ranges are fine for the 11th CE if you leave out the Tagmatic troop types. The army of Alexios Komnenos was indeed a very different beast to that of the Macadonian dynasty, especially post Manzikert where much of the infrastructure (and men!) which made up the army was destroyed.

The Eureka range is OK but as Carlos says, it is very small.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 02:40:47 PM »
Oh, good.  I knew someone here would be able to point me in a direction.

A Viking in the Sun is supposed to be from 1033 to 1042, and the Army lists they have are for The Varangian Guard, Byzantines, Southern Italian Principalities, Normans, and Muslim.  The Varagian, Muslim, and Normans are accounted for, and I was trying to figure out what my other options were, but was failing to figure out what I would need.

Is there a difference in Principalities versus Byzantine?  I don't have the book handy right now, but I know the lists are separate.  Would I use the same figures?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 02:48:11 PM »
Oh, good.  I knew someone here would be able to point me in a direction.

A Viking in the Sun is supposed to be from 1033 to 1042, and the Army lists they have are for The Varangian Guard, Byzantines, Southern Italian Principalities, Normans, and Muslim.  The Varagian, Muslim, and Normans are accounted for, and I was trying to figure out what my other options were, but was failing to figure out what I would need.

Is there a difference in Principalities versus Byzantine?  I don't have the book handy right now, but I know the lists are separate.  Would I use the same figures?

The short answer is yes, the troop types would not be elites. I too don't have access to the book at them mo' as it's buried under a pile of other books in a box.