Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shock Force Vengequan  (Read 2255 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Shock Force Vengequan
« on: March 12, 2022, 07:57:37 AM »
Back in the late 90's the company Demonblade came out with their Shockforce game based upon their Warengine rules allowing you to generate stats for any figures you might want to use. The second edition also came out with a line of figures for the various factions in the game. There was a noticeable similarity to the early GW Rogue Trader vibe going on here too. My favorites were the Vengequan elf/Indians and the Gothrats which I managed to collect all the figures I was interested in. I painted up the Gothrats way back then and they became my go to gang for skirmish games.

But before I ever got a chance to do the Vengequan old age in the form of cataracts and nerve damage in my back shut down painting over a dozen years or so. Now being retired I finally got my eyes taken care of and have resumed painting and gaming. While my days of wet blending and other techniques are way past I find that my detail work is slowly improving. So back to the hobby and also LAF.

Being a major Lovecraft fan the first thing I did was paint up my Strange Aeons collection (which I'm still fitting other models in.) But as I perused the LAF forums I was impressed seeing many painted models going back to GW's Rogue Trader days (which I was collecting the Grenadier models before they debuted in the states.) Came across the Vengequan and have decided to do them even if I never use them as I  still really like the models, and hoping this thread keeps me enthusiastic about finishing them. First up is the Chief and a couple of Shamen:

We haul ours to kick theirs.

Online 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Re: Shock Force Vengequan
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:29:28 AM »
Never heard of them before but those are couple of great characters 👍

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 04:45:41 PM »
Thanks I hope you like the rest of them I thought the whole line was pretty cool. Forum told me my second post was too big so will break them up going forward. Another Shaman:

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »
Am working on the next four figures but here's the last  Shaman from this batch.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »
They look good.
That first figure; the Chief, will surely go down as one of the all time classic wargame figures.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 07:31:13 PM »
Always had a soft spot for the Vengequan - great work on these!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 08:57:26 PM »
 The Chief is one of the best figures in the range.I also like and have the small Gothrats with trench coats.
 Nice painting on these first pieces.
 Do you also have the riders?

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 10:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the response all, muchly appreciated. I have all the 24 variants of the Vengequan that I am aware of: with the exception of the riders, could never find those and while not that into the mounts would have liked the riders to mount on something else. As it is now toying with the idea of some post apocalypse vehicles for them. Have like all the Gothrats painted up with the exception of the big guy with the flintlock type pistol as he just didn't fit the aesthetic for me, but I really came to like them a lot after I painted them. Will post some pics of them after the Vengequan are finished. I also bought a couple lots on ebay looking for the Deadtech guys so I have a number of figures, some still in blister packs if anyone is interested. Am happy to have found these in the lead pile though and am having fun painting them, just something about them that always struck me as cool.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:49:10 AM by diehard »

Online 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 09:07:42 PM »
Love it think they mini gun one is my favourite .

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »
Yeah while there are some duds in every line for the most part the Vengequan are pretty cool overall. Some are pretty findly though just had to pin two small ankle.agree though I think the Chief and Tech Shaman are my favorites, although am really coming to like the Bear heavy supports I paint them.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 07:14:41 PM »
Slight delay to the next couple models. Was painting one of the swords woman charging on one foot and she bent then broke. Damn those ankles are thin. Reintroduced to the joys of pinning.  And while I was at it I saw the next one to break so did her too. Second one came out well, first one at least passable to me. Haven't uses the pin vise in at least a decade so will cut myself a break on the first one. And managed to spill black paint all over the place whilst doing this. Like they say once you fall off a bike you never forget how.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 08:04:44 AM »
After the sword maidens leg snapped off mod paint job kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm for a little bit. Been a while since I had to pin anything and her ankle was barely bigger than my drill bit. Then I got to looking at the other four sword maidens and figured I'd might as well just pin a couple of them before I even started them. So first we have the last of the battle shamans and princess crooked foot.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 08:41:56 AM »
Maybe I'll come back someday and revisit the eyes but they are super tiny on these guys and my 63 years old repaired eyes are just starting to get back into little details. These guys I liked a lot too, mu Ursine heavy support dudes.

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 10:42:11 PM »
Great painting!  :-*