Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hello Hello --- this is Nighthawk Calling - 3rd and Final Instalment.  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Hello Hello --- this is Nighthawk Calling - Part 2
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 08:18:15 AM »
it would have been a bit of an Enigma to her.

Boom! Boom! Kindly leave the stage!

More great stuff, glad to see that the radio operator got away.   :-*

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 08:45:53 PM »
Always a pleasure to see your games on the board. I love the narrative based gameplay.

That's a really nice comment, thanks.

Fram What's a keener?

Snappers, sorry it was a bit corny but I just couldn't resist. Sorry  :D

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 09:37:50 PM »
Sorry for the delay in concluding this story, with my attention span being shorter than a goldfish I personally prefer to read a game report at one sitting and then I can promptly forget it. Anyway this is the last and concluding part of this AAR, although as someone commented on my blog the ending leaves it wide open for a follow on game. ;)

At this point there’s a loud braying sound as Lord Snapcase clears his throat and bellows “What are you chaps doing on my land” “Don’t you know it’s duck shooting season and I won’t have anyone disturbing my duck’s” He stands, hands on hips glaring at them malevolently.

With barely a pause he roars like a lion, “Young Scrotum, see them off.” “Quickly man” and Young Scrotum raises his side by side 12 bore nervously, but while he’s pretty nifty at shooting squirrels, shooting a man is quite different.

They've been known to shoot back.  :-[

The Afrika Korps veterans are not used to being bellowed at and have no idea what duck shooting is and level their weapons at the Mad Lord and then everything slows down as the cameraman tries to earn his pay with some artistic slow motion shots.

The Germans are veterans from the North Africa campaign, confident in their ability to deal with this old mad man and his Gamekeeper but Snapcase saw action as a Trench Raider in the first World War and has served in countless Colonial actions since, he's not a man to mess with.

A bad tempered old man with a short fuse and a fast right hand, he pulls his redoubtable Webley revolver and opens fire. Damn…he misses and receives a hail of fire in return. A lesser man would have dived for cover behind the stone wall but Snapcase stands his ground and returns the hail of fire, bang bang, click. Both his shots missed and now he’s out of ammunition but worst of all, he realises he’s wearing his reading glasses. Blast and damnation.

Before he can duck down behind the wall the rifleman fires but he misses as well, the adrenaline is making everyone jumpy.

Before young Scrotum can bring his shotgun to bear he takes half a magazine of sub machine gun bullets to the chest and falls like a sack of potatoes. The Officer firing the smg kept his finger on the trigger too long and has also run out of ammunition.

George Douglas wants to intervene but the sight of Rachael Weiss’s Luger pointed steadily at his left eye has a calming effect and he stands and fumes impotently.

Meanwhile Snapcase is reloading the Webley behind the wall.

Popping up from his refuge, Snapcase - snapfires and hits one of his adversaries, badly wounding the man and putting him down and out of the fight.

Cunning as a fox, Rachael has moved forward, she fires in return but is also wide of the mark as Snapcase responds by ducking back behind cover. He’s not used to shapely young women taking pot shots at his ample frame. Well not since that incident on the NW Frontier in 25, or was it 26, no time to worry about the exact date though, self preservation is more important.

In the mean time the German Officer has reloaded his smg and is waiting for Snapcase to re-appear.

….Which he duly does but before he can fire again, Rachael puts a 9mm bullet right between the MC and DSO, both medals that for some reason he habitually wears on his chest. If this had been ½” to the right she would have hit the DSO middle and centre and the story might have finished differently but she didn't and Snapcase hit's the ground with a resounding thump.

Moaning quietly about foreigners and being out for a duck.

You might be wondering why, when George Douglas was released from the immobilizing sight of Rachael’s Luger he didn’t move to help his friend.

You don’t turn your back on the Gestapo.

Weinhard Wenke took the credit for clearing out this nest of saboteurs as the Gestapo are wont to do but when the history of Much Piddling in the Marsh is finally written down, the world will know the truth.

Of course that pre-supposes that local Historian Mary Martin also the School Mistress and Radio Operator survives the war.

Maybe there will be a rescue attempt by the Much Piddling Girl Guides aided by Ms Smethers and her branch of the local Cub Scouts, a dedicated band of boys who seem hell bent on a life of violence and crime, destined to take up positions within the young offenders institute as soon as the war is over and they can be rounded up safely.

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Hello Hello --- this is Nighthawk Calling - 3rd and Final Instalment.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 01:57:43 AM »
Oh my! One can hardly express the dismay one feels at the felling of Lord Snapcase.  :o  He shall have to be avenged.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 05:53:13 PM »
Oh my! One can hardly express the dismay one feels at the felling of Lord Snapcase.  :o  He shall have to be avenged.

I wouldn't worry, old Snappers has done for worse many times before.

Though he might need a few feedings to shape him up again after being subjected to the food at the Sisters of Charity and Mercy hospital (aptly named, as they rarely display either).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 07:06:10 PM »
Riveting! All of it! Pics, AAR, it's all superb!  :-*

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »
Well quite the setback. We look forward to seeing how our heroes do in the next round! A Webley and a double barrel duck gun hardly seem a fair set up against veteran DAK with Schmeiser's.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2022, 12:32:32 PM »
Jolly good fun  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2022, 01:07:49 PM »
One of your best, John - really enjoyed that. And Snapcase has more honourable wounds to boast about once Miss Spankhurst has given him a good fettling to set him back on his feet.

Im loving your table - your scenery puts mine to shame. You certainly put on a damned good solo game.

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »
Superb, as always! You can't keep a fat Snapcase down, a couple of band-aids and a stiff tot of the old Laphroaig and I'll be bimbling about in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Both his shots missed and now he’s out of ammunition but worst of all, he realises he’s wearing his reading glasses. Blast and damnation.

I'm nearly always wearing the wrong glasses nowadays! I go upstairs to get the right pair, do six different things instead and end up downstairs again, still with the wrong specs on.

Maybe there will be a rescue attempt by the Much Piddling Girl Guides aided by Ms Smethers and her branch of the local Cub Scouts

There's a good chance of that, and don't forget the Much-Piddling WI under the doughty leadership of Dame Ena Rancid.

In all seriousness, that was a jolly fine game, old boy. Pip, pip!   :-*

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2022, 10:58:51 AM »
Well quite the setback. We look forward to seeing how our heroes do in the next round! A Webley and a double barrel duck gun hardly seem a fair set up against veteran DAK with Schmeiser's.

I would have to take issue with you there Lon, you forgot the enraged dog.

There were a few other encounters that didn't happen and might have changed the balance a little but I  expect the boy scouts armed with catapults will stand a better chance in the rescue attempt.  ;)

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments, I  do feel I should try a rescue attempt to get the two old duffers out of the hands of the Germans, I don't have any boy scouts but could raise a few adolescent girl guides in civi's, maybe led by the Mother Superior of the local convent. I forget her name for the moment but she did sterling work in France rescuing pilots before escaping to Britain when the Gestapo net closed in on her. I don't have a link but it's somewhere on my untended blog.

Cheers

Nighthawk - Out

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2022, 02:51:35 AM »
Fun read, and I am sure it was as much fun to play.  lol

Mike Demana

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 03:45:54 AM »
girls scouts maybe led by the Mother Superior of the local convent.
Well that should put them to rest.  So one sided one probably wouldn't need to play it out.   :D

Wonderful games.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2022, 02:08:36 PM »
You're probably right but maybe I'll give it a go.  ;)

Mike it was a fun game but also quite a while ago.  :(

I'm in the middle of the Plague at the moment, Mrs V kindly gave me her left over germs but they don't seem to be as effective second hand and I can feel the strength returning to my right arm, such that I hope to remove the canula and drink red wine out of a glass rather than have it flow from the drip bag straight into a vein.
When that happens then I've an idea on how to run a solo game but try and use the Forum expertise in low cunning and devious tactics to make any particularly difficult decision's during the course of the game.

I'm sure it's been done before but it sounds fun. Just need a catchy title.

Cheers

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »
I sit here, on the edge of my seat, waiting in anticipation for Part III.  Well told and illustrated story!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"