Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Last Stand at Mistham  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Last Stand at Mistham
« on: February 28, 2022, 06:15:40 PM »
So when this book came out last year I had played all the scenarios a number of times during play testing so I was a bit fatigued with Sellswords and Spellslingers.

Now, after a good break playing other stuff I've decided to start a Mistham campaign with a low level (59XP) party. I’ve played these characters before and they were much higher in XP back then, but months of resting, eating and drinking have dulled their skills and abilities somewhat.

So, once all my jobs were done, I got set up and had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Minai, the eldest daughter of the town's chief, has been kidnapped by Orcs and you have tracked them down to a locked tower in the wastelands.

The tower itself is guarded by two Goblin Guardians armed with shortbows and various other Orcs and Goblins patrol the area; there’s even rumours of trolls in the vicinity of the tower.

P2280001 by markndebs, on Flickr

P2280010 by markndebs, on Flickr

The party consists of Wicked Lester, a half-Orc adventurer, Alatar the Blue Wizard, Plissken, an albino Snakeman and Twitch Grindle, a Gnomish thief.

P2280004 by markndebs, on Flickr

Turn One:

Alatar stumbles as soon as he enters the field, using his one activation to right himself; his second failed activation shows that the nearest Orc Brute is even tougher than his ilk with 4 HP.

Plissken moves forward, takes aim with his long bow and ‘twang’ …….his bow string snaps – he has no spare so now has to rely on his poor knife skills for the remainder of the game.

Things are looking a bit ropey already.

As Twitch moves forward the horde nearest him, 3 Goblins activates and is joined by a fourth as they head towards the party.

Wicked Lester’s turn also see’s the horde activate. Lester manages to kill one and reloads his crossbow.

Turn Two:

Alatar steps on a Scorpion but fortunately kills it before it can bite him, however it has proved enough of a distraction that after he moves towards the horde he fails yo cast fireball (rolling a 1 so he has lost his magic skills for the rest of the game.

That’s 2 PC’s now pretty much useless at the start of turn 2.

Wicked Lester runs forward, takes aim and kills one of the tower Guardians as Twitch follows; Plissken moves away from danger but acts as a distraction for Lester and Twitch.

Turn Three:

Alatar moves slowly away from the closest horde of Goblins, also working to distract them as his other party member try for the tower.

Lester fails all three activations and is ambushed, taking a wound, whist the horde moves again (with everything else – Monster Frenzy) and a huge Troll appears from the West – fortunately it is too far away to worry about at the moment..

P2280011 by markndebs, on Flickr

Plissken also fails all three activations with the Orc Brute gaining another HP, another Monster Frenzy and ‘Things could get Worse’ being drawn so 3 Goblin Archers also enter the field.

Twitch spots a set of lock picks in the rocks where Wicked Lester and the Orc are in battle – he moves behind the Orc and stabs it dead.

Turn Four:

Alatar is ambushed by a single Goblin but manages to dispatch it as the horde gets ever closer, Lester and Plissken continue slowly towards the tower, seeking cover where they can.

P2280013 by markndebs, on Flickr

Twitch picks up the lock picks and lets the others know it’s glory time.

Turn Five:

Alatar runs away from the horde which is now dangerously close so when they act on Lester's’ turn they are now in pursuit of Twitch. Lester kills the second Goblin Guardian leaving the tower open for Twitch to attempt to pic the lock and rescue Minai.

Twitch arrives at the door of the tower and makes short work of the lock, Minai joins him and he drags/carries her towards safety.

Plissken moves towards the table edge and waits.

P2280014 by markndebs, on Flickr

Turn Six:

Twitch moves Minai to within a single activation of escape so both Alatar and Plissken leave the field.

Wicked Lester also makes a move towards departure but hangs on for Twitch and Minai to get out first.

P2280016 by markndebs, on Flickr

Turn Seven:

Lucky that he did as Twitch is ambushed and is taken out of action by a single Goblin who then captures Minai.

Using his fire into melee skill he kills the Goblin, sends Minai off the field of play and moves to Twitch.

Turn Eight:

Lester gives Twitch the healing potion he carries and checks on his friend – luckily he is merely comatose and Lester duly carries him off the field where he can recover.

Only gained the 2 XP in this scenario for the party and 1 XP for Lester as he carried Twitch off.

I didn’t hang about to collect loot as the party was weakened too quickly losing my archer’s bow and Fireball ability right at the start.

On the plus side everyone got out unscathed and Minai is rescued.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Last Stand at Mistham
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »
Well done. I am stunned you managed to pull that one off, after such a disastrous first two turns! :o lol

Nice pictures and a great write up. All you have to do now is get her home to her daddy!

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 09:10:33 AM »
Well done. I am stunned you managed to pull that one off, after such a disastrous first two turns! :o lol

Nice pictures and a great write up. All you have to do now is get her home to her daddy!

I thought it was game over as well but decided to try the old running away method. Throughout the whole game we only killed the 2 Guardians and 3 Goblin Ambushers and used the 2 disarmed figures to run interference and lead the enemies away from the working party members.

Looking forward to part 2.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 04:32:48 PM »
Nice write up and I like the minis that you use. All very nicely done.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
Nice Report