Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Speed-painted Zombicide stuff  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Speed-painted Zombicide stuff
« on: March 17, 2022, 11:45:21 AM »
A friend introduced the kids and me to Zombicide the other week: we all loved it and, in short order, clubbed together to buy a set.

One thing we want to do is to get the whole set painted as soon as possible. That means quick and dirty paintjobs for the zombies and rather more delicate ones for the survivors. I'm leaving the survivors to the kids and have made a start on the walkers.

These are nothing fancy at all and took very little time: black gesso undercoat, drybrushed grey and white, and then contrast paints (for the most part). They'll all get a coat of gloss and then (at least) a couple of coats of matt to dull them down. I've only applied matt varnish to the zombie in the long green dress, and she's still a bit satiny after a couple of coats (maybe because of some strange interaction between the plastic, the contrast paints and the varnish). I'm leaving the others for a few days before varnishing.

So ... six down, a squillion to go ...

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Speed-painted Zombicide stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 12:15:45 PM »
I did my Black Plague zombies in batches, first batch was shiny even after spraying on matt varnish, then went sticky.

Might be worth not using spray on varnish.

These look great BTW.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 05:22:20 PM »
Nice job. I have painted the survivors for my zombicide games but never got to doing my zombies.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 07:57:29 PM »
With all three seasons of the first edition and the new second edition (and all in on every one) I have more zombies and Survivors than I know what to do with.  Never even entertained the thought of painting them with all the other tabletop stuff still awaiting the brush. Great game though have introduced a few people to it and they all wanted to play more. Right now I have a weekly gaming night with 3 to 4 others. But anyway, your zombies look great, especially for a rush job. Love to see what you do when you take your time. Thanks for sharing.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 11:17:52 PM »
These look really good. I've picked up a few of the medieval Zombicide minis and painted them up for Sellswords but I haven't tried speed painting a whole set!

Mind you I did buy into the Undead or Alive KS so I will have buckets of zombie cowboys to paint soon.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 06:15:46 AM »
Great. Love painting zombies as any thing goes really as long as you give a heavy wash or dip at the end lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 07:06:49 AM »
Looking good mate! I have a bunch of zombies I need to get to. Good call on the contrast paints.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 12:41:31 AM »
I painted one my son left under the sofa when we are a game a few weeks ago. I'm sure he won't paint the rest.
Having said that, my copy of the game is under my bed unopened!

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
Looking good. I finished my Black Plague box recently there, just working in batches with a similar colour scheme on each batch (so mixed up there's some nice variety). The game certainly looks a lot better with them all painted up. The original season 1 zombies were some of the first minis I painted when I first got into the hobby. Blood splatter can hide a multitude of painting sins...

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 04:52:30 PM »
They look great to me and the games plays and look much better with painted toys IMO. :)

FYI - I did not have any issues with an artists paint on matte varnish.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/