Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689764
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How critical is adhering to Soldiers List equipment? (Silver Bayonet)  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I like my characters to be equipped as their representative figure is equipped. So, having got the Official Austrian unit, it’s a little irritating to find that the figure identified as a Supernatural Investigator has a musket whereas in the rules, he should have either a fencing weapon and pistols or  Heavy Weapon and pistol. My inclination is to ignore the list and give him a musket and cartridge. I haven’t played a game yet so, I don’t know how finely tuned this allocation of weapons to type is. Would reequipping the Investigator so that his weapon reflects his miniature seriously imbalance the game?

In passing, I wonder why the "Official" figure packs don’t follow what the rules decree?

Doug

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
Re: How critical is adhering to Soldiers List equipment? (Silver Bayonet)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »
I wondered if the box was mislabelled?

To my mind he looks more like a veteran hunter

but then the Occultist looks more like a Supernatural Investigator to me too

You won't be able to use all the minis in a unit as labelled anyway as they are way over points limits

It's one of the reasons I haven't picked up a set yet - not found a box i would use more than 2-3 mins from and have the rest on the shelf

shame they didn't make them in half packs

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 03:18:01 PM by Kikuchiyo »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »
I wondered if the box was mislabelled?

To my mind he looks more like a veteran hunter

but then the Occultist looks more like a Supernatural Investigator to me too

You won't be able to use all the minis in a unit as labelled anyway as they are way over points limits

It's one of the reasons I haven't picked up a set yet - not found a box i would use more than 2-3 mins from and have the rest on the shelf

shame they didn't make them in half packs

I couldn’t resist them - I loved the sculpts :).

I agree with what you say about his "look"; I would expect a supernatural investigator to look a little more scholarly. I think he looks like an Irregular - maybe a Pandur. The problem is that Irregulars are not on the Austrian list. I think I will bend the rules in that direction. Instead of having him as a Supernatural Investigator with a musket, he can be an Irregular and I cite the Pandur as historical justification.

Doug

Offline Archduke of Earl

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:16:24 PM »
An excellent topic - since the Vivandiere has a pistol when she "should" have a hand weapon. I'm going with pistol, which means in melee she's got an Improvised Weapon which seems fair.  The pistol just seems very atmospheric and correct (and I really like the figure itself).

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 07:08:51 PM »
An excellent topic - since the Vivandiere has a pistol when she "should" have a hand weapon. I'm going with pistol, which means in melee she's got an Improvised Weapon which seems fair.  The pistol just seems very atmospheric and correct (and I really like the figure itself).

My way of thinking exactly. And I have to agree with you. I think a Vivandiere would be a pretty streetwise (or campwise) lady and would appreciate the comforting presence of a loaded pistol :).

I’ve always felt that rules should be prepared to yield to aesthetics or personal interpretation so long as everyone involved is in agreement (I envisage doing mainly solo SB so my opinion is carried unanimously). I’ve a strong feeling that Joe (McCullough) thinks along the same lines.

Doug

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:39:06 PM »
You may want to look at my posting on Age of the big battalions. Silver Bayonet F&I wars style, 12th Feb. for the differences I've chosen. It might be helpful

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 09:32:07 PM »
The lists aren't particularly important, we have pencils and we know how to use them!  The codex is more what you'ld call 'guidelines' than actual rules...

The miniatures were sculpted and put into production based on early drafts, or possibly just notes, of the rules so that they could be released when the game hit print.

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 02:50:10 AM »
In passing, I wonder why the "Official" figure packs don’t follow what the rules decree?
Nick blamed the sculptors, saying they get a description and then just do whatever they want. Seems like a weird thing to say about someone who wants your money, lol. Make what I am paying you to make, minion.

I'm guessing the truth is that they commissioned the figures before the rulebook was finalized.

It's a shame, there are some good miniatures in those sets,  but it made way more sense to just make my own.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »
You may want to look at my posting on Age of the big battalions. Silver Bayonet F&I wars style, 12th Feb. for the differences I've chosen. It might be helpful
Thanks for the tip - I’ll head over there for a look.

The lists aren't particularly important, we have pencils and we know how to use them! ..
Exactly….!

The miniatures were sculpted and put into production based on early drafts, or possibly just notes, of the rules so that they could be released when the game hit print.
Maybe that should be mentioned in the advertising and descriptions? Just a mad idea I had :)

Nick blamed the sculptors, saying they get a description and then just do whatever they want. Seems like a weird thing to say about someone who wants your money, lol. Make what I am paying you to make, minion.

I'm guessing the truth is that they commissioned the figures before the rulebook was finalized.

It's a shame, there are some good miniatures in those sets,  but it made way more sense to just make my own.
Indeed - I was seduced by the figures and influenced by wanting to keep the preparation for SB as simple as possible. I’ll work something out. The Supernatural Investigator is now an Irregular and Irregulars have been added to the Austrian list by order of the Hofkriegsrat….

Doug

Offline Qwirz

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »
Although the Official range has a lot of very nice sculpts and I am a d#*$#n completionist, I didn't order any of them due to brexit troubles (I'm in Italy). Fortunately scrounging through all my mijiatures I've founded lot of suitable minis...integrated with some napoleonic plastic bought from italian retailers.
Personally the only thing Ì ask to my characters is to be equipped with one of the right weapons...or no weapons at all (like my Officer). This is the only visual help I "need" on the tabletop.
I made a list of the equipment of each Soldiers and Creature in order to find faster the more appropriate miniature...

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
Although the Official range has a lot of very nice sculpts and I am a d#*$#n completionist, I didn't order any of them due to brexit troubles (I'm in Italy). Fortunately scrounging through all my mijiatures I've founded lot of suitable minis...integrated with some napoleonic plastic bought from italian retailers.
Personally the only thing Ì ask to my characters is to be equipped with one of the right weapons...or no weapons at all (like my Officer). This is the only visual help I "need" on the tabletop.
I made a list of the equipment of each Soldiers and Creature in order to find faster the more appropriate miniature...

For me, it’s not a question of needing visual help. It’s purely down to the look of it. I just happen to prefer a wysiwyg approach and having a miniature that is supposed to be armed with a fencing weapon and a pistol carrying a damned great musket on his shoulder is a step too far. However, as I say above, I’ve resolved it in a way which satisfies me and, because my games are likely to be solo, that’s all that matters :)

Doug

Offline Qwirz

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 01:51:00 PM »
Agreed!!!!!  ;)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »
Unless it is a tournament game, it's whatever makes you happy. If you want WYSIWYG, make sure the figures reflect what you have on the roster and follow the Silver Bayonet rules. If it isn't a tournament, as long as your opponent is good with it, play any way you want. I believe Mr. McCullough said the rules are a guideline, a foundation to add to or subtract from. I enjoy converting my figures. The old Mordheim figures were excellent for that purpose. Glue a rope or a bow on your figure. The plastic sprues had all kinds of additions. In short, do what makes you and whomever you are playing with happy.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper