Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686657
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lunchtime rules writing challenge -Very quick violence.  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Lunchtime rules writing challenge -Very quick violence.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 01:06:13 PM »
My son's homework was to create a maths game so what better than a tank version of these rules...

Ein, Zwei, Drei - Tank Wargame Based on Very Quick Violence.
Army Building

Before each game, players build an army up to 10 points by buying tanks. These have the following costs:
Small tank = 2 points
Medium tank = 3 points
Heavy tank = 4 points
The Game

Actions

Tanks each have the following actions:
Small tank = 3 actions
Medium tank = 2 actions
Heavy tank = 1 action

A tank may use its actions to move, attack or defend. These are all explained below:

Initiative

Each player rolls 1d6 (roll one six-sided dice once) to decide who goes first and has the initiative.
Each player then activates a tank, taking it in turns to do so.

A player may only activate half of their tanks in a single turn (rounding up in the case of odd numbers).

Movement

Use the following for movement using a ruler:

Small tank = 6 cm
Medium tank = 9 cm
Heavy tank = 12 cm

Tanks cannot move through another tank or blocking terrain but can move around it. A flexible measuring tape, therefore, works best.

Attacks

A tank may attack another tank if it is within range.

The ranges are as follows:

Small tank = 9 cm
Medium tank = 12 cm
Heavy tank = 15 cm

Note: Heavy tanks get a +1 to their attack scores so for example, a result of a 4 of 1d6 would become 4+1=5

A tank may attack any enemy tank that is within range of it. Tanks attack by rolling 1d6. The target (defender) also rolls 1d6. If the attacker rolls higher, they have succeeded. If the target (defender) rolls higher or both are a draw, then nothing happens. Each successful attack does 1 point of damage.

Tanks have the following amounts of damage they can take or sustain:

Small tank = 1 damage
Medium tank = 2 damage
Heavy tank = 3 damage

A tank loses 1 damage point each time it is successfully attacked. A tank with no remaining damage points is destroyed and dead and is removed from the game. The first player to lose half of their tanks 5 points worth loses the game.

Defend

A tank can use an action to defend at the start of its turn. Only one action can be spent on defending. Tanks spending an action on defence get the following modifiers to their dice roll in attacks when defending as the target.

Small tank = +3 to defence
Medium tank = +2 to defence
Heavy tank = +1 to defence

Terrain

Rough ground:  -2 cm to movement, no combat modifiers.
Light cover example bushes trees, small walls etc.: Minus 4 cm to movement, minus 1 to attacker’s combat roll.
Heavy cover/obstacles example building hills and heavy woodland etc.: No movement, you have to move around it. Obscures line of sight and can therefore be used to hide from enemy tanks. A river might not be able to be crossed however you would be able to fire across it so use your common sense when it comes to terrain.

Rule Summary Table

Credits:

The above rules were a set Arthur and I (his dad) worked on and converted from a set called Very Quick Violence.

Links

For other educational History wargames, they will never forget see: https://juniorgeneral.org/

The German forces:
The Panzer III and IV would be Heavy. All other tanks would be Medium and the armoured cars would be light. From: Matt Fritz https://juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/GermanEarlyWarArmor1#

The French forces:
The Char B1 and D2 would be heavy, the S-35, H-39,35 and AMC would be medium and al others would be light. From: Matt Fritz https://juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/FrenchTanksandArmoredCars

Terrain:

Use coloured paper – For example green for trees, blue for rivers, and brown square rectangles for buildings. Make sure players know what types they are in terms of the rules for movement and attacking. 

Still hoping to hear what the teacher thinks of it - hopefully they are playing it on the last day of school...

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 01:17:19 PM »
I can see some massive balance issues here because small units are simply the best option. Getting 3 actions for 2 points is better than 1 action for 4 points even if it has more wounds. It's especially bad with the roll to see who goes first mechanic because you can break it in half with it. Small unit armies get many more activation and 3 attacks each with no downside for being little. If I go last (which I will because I have more models) and I win the roll off then I can be throwing 6 attacks at something in a row and odds are it's a dead big model costing twice the points I paid for my little.

Adding a modifier to the roll might help mitigate the issue but littles are just infinitely better here and having random first go is always a bad idea because of double turns happening allowing one player to do massive damage or double moving to hit an objective or back line with no counter play possible. I don't think any one would find it fun for a little bit of luck with the dice and 1 little moves up end of turn, kills a handful of guys and kills more on the next turns start. And there's no response to it because your dice weren't there.

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 03:32:05 PM »
I read the initiative is only applicable to the first turn.

I would add a rule that gives heavy tanks the ability to inflict 3 wounds per hit and mediums 2.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 04:58:03 PM »
I’m reading it as alternating activation between players. So winning initiative is fairly minor

MSU is a problem in lots of rules. For a school project having things to improve is always good!

Online ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 04:59:38 PM »
How about adding armour. Small tanks shrug off hits on a 5+, mediums on a 4+, heavies on a 3+

Medium guns reduce the die roll by one and heavy guns by 2.

So any tank hit by it's equivalent saves on a 5+

Light's hit by heavy guns get no save.

Digging in/ Defending adds 1 to armour roll for any tank.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 05:01:21 PM by ithoriel »
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 06:05:03 PM »
Thank you all for the great suggestions - we have play-tested the rules and found similar issues. Especially the advantages of light tanks. 

We, therefore, made some adjustments see playtest and rules changes, as well as more pictures here:
https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2022/07/golgothas-rules-ein-zwei-drei-play-test.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 12:49:13 AM »
Ha! I say.  What took you so long, a whole bloody half an hour!  lol

I once route a set of rules in five minutes on two 3x5 cards for a colonial game where the figures showed up but no one had any rules.  Worked just fine and we had a good game - and nothing there for the 'rules lawyers' to argue about.  Move distance, shoot range, to hit number, morale.  Bing, bang, done.   ;)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 07:44:28 PM »
To think, it typically takes me 2-6 years to get a game completely finished! 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 08:09:50 PM »
To think, it typically takes me 2-6 years to get a game completely finished!

Evidently you have longer lunch breaks than me  ;)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 08:25:05 PM »

Evidently you have longer lunch breaks than me
  lol

Online ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2022, 11:40:09 AM »
If he's only writing them in his lunch breaks no wonder it takes so long!  ;) :D