Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:10:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: Cities of Sigmar/Old World Dark Elves  (Read 24198 times)

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: The Second Songs: a medieval army for all games
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2022, 01:02:59 AM »
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2022, 11:16:58 AM »
Not a huge post, just some workshop pics after taking a break from painting some HH Dark Angels.

To complete the "Ashfeld Look" I've got some movement tray fillers of lava bubbling up from the ground, and the start of my ruined chapel terrain piece.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2022, 11:23:53 AM »
Really liked the castle and keen to see what you make with this new build. Enjoying the creative spirit. Keep 'em coming...

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2022, 12:12:53 PM »
All of the foam portions are built and painted the black undercoat. In the interest of expanding my terrain use across systems the front and back halves are going to be on 2 separate bases. With a larger and smaller base the structure as a whole should work for Kings of War, Saga, and maybe even Warcry, which are the three games I'm playing at the moment. I did have a funny moment wherein I built and undercoated everything, and then realized I completely forgot to build the ambulatory. Awkward. The only other portions I may do are putting the back half on a platform and building steps upward into said ambulatory, but I'm not certain to go this route yet.

Edit: LAVA

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2022, 10:03:08 AM »
There are some final 3D-printed touched like statues and candles to come but I feel like it's as done as I can make it, which means it's pictures time. Included are some pictures of the inspiration: a little set-aside chapel portion of a map in For Honor (because the setting is just the coolest part of the game and a source of endless inspiration for me). I tried to map sure that the moss would actually match sunlight angles consistently across the whole piece, which I feel adds tremendous interest. As you can see, the last monk left, Brother Maurice, is rather unhappy that the Captain seems to be scouting his quiet place of prayer for use as a command post.

Even a run-down chapel like this one needs a name, so I figure I'll do a poll and see what LAF thinks the name should be!

a: St. Crispin's (yeah Henry V is my fav, how could you tell?)
b: Elmhart Hill
c: St. Concilia's
d: Oldgate Chapel

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2022, 12:40:17 PM »
What a brilliant thread, it's got everything.

I vote for St. Crispen's or St. Concilia's.

Elmhart Hill conjures up green, rolling landscape for me whilst Oldgate Chapel would surely be in a city.

Offline steeldragon

• Librarian
    • IG :)
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2022, 03:11:22 PM »
Nice terrain and references there... very cool.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2023, 12:04:14 PM »
Salve all, it's been a moment. I've been painting up Dark Angels for Horus Heresy, till I had a development. My playgroup and I discovered One Page Rules and fell in love with the game. For a group with a "66% dads with toddlers" makeup, speed, and ease of play are crucial to a good game night. The game is almost wholly free to play with army lists and basic rules, but we jumped on the chance to subscribe and get the complete advanced rules. The game is deadly but fair, and tons of fun. Try it out for a fine, relaxing game of quality.

I wanted to play the Second Songs in the game but I found that, like most medieval expys in indie games, the human factions are either thematically Bretonnian (lots of knights, no technology, men afoot are mud-covered peasants) or the Empire (late-renaissance, purely HRE thematically, a focus on magic hunting, knights are tertiary to artillery). Both of these are fine things, but my ideal fantasy army is something akin to a historical mud-covered Hundred Years' war English free company but with wizards in plate armor, a dash of the Hussite wars thrown in because Czech tech is cool tech, and maybe a beast or two. I'm debating adding an unarmed peasant unit but still working out its purpose would be in-game. Suggestions welcome.

To that end, I've cooked up a list using OPR's excellent and fun list builder if you enjoy the game and you've a notion to play the same. The pdf file is attached, along with the word file in case you want to modify it to taste. I have a unit of men at arms with buckles and shields coming, as well as some more army lists and terrain for factions from our emerging fantasy setting.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2023, 04:03:21 PM »
That all sounds very cool! I like the direction you have taken your list and I am looking forward to seeing the figures you’re working on.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2023, 09:42:45 PM »
Haven't poked my head in a while. Absolutely love the Chapel. Did you settle on a name in the end? Any battle reports with the chapel involved? :)

I haven't played OPR, but was just going to put in a word for Saga - a lot of our group are new dads/dads with many kids and it seems to hit the balance between 'fast enough to play in an a hour and a half' and 'strategically demanding enough to be satisfying'. That said, if OPR's scratching the itch, I'll have to check it out!

Look forward to seeing more :)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2023, 09:43:26 PM »
ALSO: Where on earth did you get the Warden's helmet? Is that from the FH limited ed or did you buy separately? Inquiring minds must know!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2023, 01:28:39 AM »
ALSO: Where on earth did you get the Warden's helmet? Is that from the FH limited ed or did you buy separately? Inquiring minds must know!

I bought that years ago from Medieval Collectibles when I started larping, shortly after For Honor came out. Playing paladin is fun, but eventually, I had to stop due to fiscal reasons (somehow tabletop wasn't my most expensive hobby!) I believe very much in committing to the bit, so my one-time costume now doubles as my tournament getup when I drag the Second Songs out. A nice display board isn't enough; I AM The Captain lol. (Incidentally, I realized upon typing this that I have everything needed to dress up as Knight-Captain Tyr, I'll do that sometime for the memory of it)

Pictured: my dork self sans most of my armor at my wife's maternity shoot

Haven't poked my head in a while. Absolutely love the Chapel. Did you settle on a name in the end? Any battle reports with the chapel involved? :)

I haven't played OPR, but was just going to put in a word for Saga - a lot of our group are new dads/dads with many kids and it seems to hit the balance between 'fast enough to play in an a hour and a half' and 'strategically demanding enough to be satisfying'. That said, if OPR's scratching the itch, I'll have to check it out!

Look forward to seeing more :)

I settled on St. Crispin's. No bat reps in months. Gaming has been slow due to repeated group illnesses, holidays, etc, but summer should bring back-to-back reports. We DID try SAGA for a solid few weeks but had no luck getting more than 2 people in the club to play it. I like it well enough, but getting folk around here to break the GW format is damnably hard. OPR is "Games Workshop But Fun" for the cheeky among us, but recognizable and enjoyable to the hardcore fans that we had some luck spreading it. I would not say that it is very strategically demanding. It's definitely a beer and pretzels game with an emphasis on pretzels, but it's so simple and malleable you can tack on as many zany rules as you please to up the tactical difficulty without breaking it.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2023, 02:55:15 PM »
Both of these are fine things, but my ideal fantasy army is something akin to a historical mud-covered Hundred Years' war English free company but with wizards in plate armor, a dash of the Hussite wars thrown in because Czech tech is cool tech, and maybe a beast or two. I'm debating adding an unarmed peasant unit but still working out its purpose would be in-game. Suggestions welcome.

On the few occasions I have got my Hussites on the table I have found that a unit or two of fanatical peasants lurking in ambush outside of the wagonburg have the potential to cause all sorts of chaos!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2023, 07:29:24 PM »
On the few occasions I have got my Hussites on the table I have found that a unit or two of fanatical peasants lurking in ambush outside of the wagonburg have the potential to cause all sorts of chaos!

Ooooo now I want peasants! I almost started making a Hussite war wagon out of balsa this morning before work but realized I don't have wheels for it.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2023, 08:32:50 PM »
Just a brief one: I took a break from painting metal armor to do some terrain projects I've been putting off for ages. In the theme of this year is "Get your terrain in better shape" so here we have some rebased trees from boring old painted foam to individual scenics.

Also included are these little walls of Faestone, deadly to the touch of Man. Making plain old fences for hindering terrain in Kings of War and such feels, well, lame, so I use some potpourri I found abandoned by the previous owners of my house to make these little numbers.