Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:52:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: Cities of Sigmar/Old World Dark Elves  (Read 24692 times)

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: The Company of the Second Song Returns
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2023, 09:04:28 PM »
I am getting around to painting my Witch Hunter army for Old World (I know Mordheim isn't burned yet, but a man can dream). A friend traded me this mini, one of my top 2 favorites from the Old World, in exchange for a heap of bitz. Not my finest work but damn was it fun to finally get to paint it.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:28:04 PM by PineyPhantom »
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: The Company of the Second Song Returns
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2023, 10:22:39 PM »
After those new updates on The Old World and the possibility of playing an exiled bandit knight with border prince troops, I'm going to go ahead and say get ready for more Company of the Second Songs content. I've already got some terrain projects in mind to bring the Southern Realms to life!

(It's a tavern. I want to make a tavern. LARF will not let me post the image right way up)

The top bit there is a floorplan inspired by the layout of the larger inn in Rattay, Czech Republic (yes, I love KCD, how can you tell?)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:29:11 PM by PineyPhantom »

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: The Local (Old World) Flavor
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2023, 01:59:27 AM »
When you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk. When you give Piney a terrain project, it will become something big.

It started with the best of intentions. I needed an inn and yard for the Second Songs to relax in when they finished patrolling the road. A nice, 2 part inn. I realized I needed more foam board to finish the second inn building, so I bought a tri-fold. This is when I realized, upon completing the structure of the first building, that there was plenty left.

Westwall, I reckoned, must be guarding something—a local town. The chapel in the woods nearby might be in ruins, but who said the town need be? And every town has a Rathaus.

My compatriots argued, justly so, that since these buildings are for the Old World they should have the steep roof angles like you see here. This made the roofs easier because I had no desire to relearn the principles of area and geometry. A sky bridge with enough room to march a narrow-fronted infantry unit under will be between the two Rathaus buildings. I'll need to make some houses for the common folk to live in, but I'm looking for suggestions of other shops and such to build the shells of before committing to the mass production of Tudor facades and such.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: Cities of Sigmar/Old World Dark Elves
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2023, 01:12:46 PM »
Yesterday was a day of incredible progress. I spent pretty much all of my son's nap time working on it, but as you can see, the Rathaus is taking shape and looking pretty good, by my reckoning. The next big challenge is to array the roofing tiles on the roof of the sky bridge so that they cover the gaps while blending seamlessly with the main structures' roofs and keeping the bridge roof removable. First, I've got to cut more ceiling tiles.

When it comes to miniatures, I've seen those mounted knights Victrix is putting out next year. It may well be high time to lift the Banner of Kit Bashery once more and avail myself of more mounted chivalry!

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2023, 10:05:16 PM »
At this point, we can imagine what your Rathaus will look like, excellent! The sky bridge is a nice touch, perfect for a skirmish game. You make me want to build houses like yours.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2023, 02:08:49 AM »
At this point, we can imagine what your Rathaus will look like, excellent! The sky bridge is a nice touch, perfect for a skirmish game. You make me want to build houses like yours.

It's pretty basic stuff! I'm wrapping up construction on it, I think. One can always add more details but at a certain point, you just have to commit and throw paint on it. I think I am safely at the point lol. I promise I'll cut it out with progress posts, except for this nice little bit I've added at the end. I've essentially finished the actual original tavern structure I'd meant to build and secure the supplies to make the rest of the town. More to come!

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »
Oh, a 1/72 Italeri Crusader figure as a small statue, looks very cool. Not that basic, this house building...

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: The Second Songs Return
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2024, 01:58:13 AM »
It's been a while, but I'm sending out one year and ringing another in with something this little journey has missed for a spell: a battle report! We tested out the 3rd edition of Age of Fantasy One Page Rules. I love all of the changes thus far. Magic, in particular, became a far more engaging and vital portion of the game. This battle was fairly clear cut, but the night air was crisp, every mini was painted, and the terrain was fitting. What more can a hobbyist ask for?

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2024, 11:37:20 AM »
Lovely battle report! Thanks for sharing ;)

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2024, 02:14:40 PM »
Looks like you had fun?  Great stuff!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2024, 12:49:35 AM »
So I had meant to make a tavern and it turned into a rathaus, then it became a whole town, and now I'm plotting dimensions to make an entire wall and gate system and cobbled roads with multiple configurations. At the start of the holidays when this project was one building, my mother asked if "Your village is done yet." Every subsequent time it's gotten larger and now, yes, it is a village, and she asks why the whole village isn't finished.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 01:19:55 PM by PineyPhantom »

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2024, 12:15:26 PM »

that town is really shaping up

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2024, 03:52:33 PM »
45-degree weather (I live in the subtropics, it's not normal for me lol) and rain don't stop the terrain train. I used Black Magic Craft's (of YouTube fame)method of TDAP and soapy water to roll out cobbles. Some hard lessons learned here. Soapy TDAP rolls with the roller if you put it on too thickly. Similarly, foam board warps if it gets too wet. Hoping I can unwarp the larger bases that I used too much soapy water on once the TDAP dries. The minor imperfections suit me fine, as those add visual interest and once painted should clean up fine. Excelsior!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2024, 11:18:19 AM »
Give me two weeks off, and I'll make a town. Before I cart all of this off, I had to take some shots with the rest of my homemade terrain and make some little scenes.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2024, 07:23:59 PM »
 I was going to do a more involved kitbash for Young Lokhir Fellheart for The Old World but ultimately I liked the Fleetmaster mini so much I was well pleased with a simple head swap. Yes, I know he has a peg leg. Obviously, he regrows it once he gets the Kraken Helm!