Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: Cities of Sigmar/Old World Dark Elves  (Read 24184 times)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: The Second Songs: a medieval army for all games
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 09:52:28 AM »
Great looking units, and I love the backstories.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 04:11:15 PM »
Great creativity, in the kitbashing and storytelling. The spirit of LAF lives. More of this!  8)

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 07:00:49 PM »
Great creativity, in the kitbashing and storytelling. The spirit of LAF lives. More of this!  8)
I was wondering what LAF was but it turns out I was an idiot and forgot the forum name while I was channeling the spirit of Stillmania.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:05:53 PM by PineyPhantom »
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2022, 09:20:02 PM »
Battle Report coming soon! Hopefully in a few hours!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 10:43:08 PM »
The second battle report is up! We played the first two scenarios of the "Storm in the Shires" campaign in Kings of War. I spent a good hour and a half trying to learn image editing software before excitement to post this game took over and I went back to using PowerPoint to make slides. I am not a tech-savvy person but my amazing friends are helping my medievalist brain learn new tricks. What I'm trying to say is better resolution batreps should be coming on the way soon!

(sadly the other image files were unretrievable, but the records show us the beginning of the campaign!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 01:03:37 AM by PineyPhantom »

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 12:04:33 AM »
I got some reinforcements from Footsore miniatures! The first I painted had to be my leader, the Company's vaunted Captain. Others to come are some camp followers and pack animals!

(Unable to locate images, sorry!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:37:39 PM by PineyPhantom »

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2022, 01:25:09 AM »
Been on a bit of a hobby hiatus, but got back into the swing of things this week. We played through the second, third, and fourth scenarios of the Storm in the Shires campaign with...desultory results. Even my esteemed and gracious opponent agreed they were not particularly worthy battles, lost to a slew of horrifically bad dice and some terrible misplays on my own part. Suffice to say the dried lagoon became the Second Songs' Vietnam, and the Songs were playing the part of the French army. I may go back and write up battle reports for those battles but I will certainly have one soon for the third to last scenario: the opening moves of the siege of Laquatis itself! In the meantime, enjoy some more unit backgrounds!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:37:13 PM by PineyPhantom »

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
I'm back! First, business. Using facebook as a url source, it happens, was not one of my wiser moments. I don't know if I'll be able to recover all my lovely story bits, but I will attempt to repost the army shots.

It's been a busy summer! The Second Songs won their campaign, and acquired a fortress! It took me about a month to design, and three weeks to paint and assemble, but the finished product is well worth all the effort. Those of you who played For Honor might recognize the inspiration for the general layout of Westwall, the Company of the Second Song's new keep. There is lots to see and do there, so I'll let you poke around!

An overview from the Southeast

The front gates

The Marshal inspects the field

The east wall

The Sable Tower

Life in the courtyard

Repair work is ongoing after the latest attack by the Trolls and their Men of Stone and Offal

Despite a brief enemy incursion, the Chaplain's Tower has not fallen

Even with all a page's duties, there's always time to play knights in the bailey

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2022, 06:16:08 PM »
Great pics.  Was this all scratch built?  Awesome

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2022, 10:06:16 AM »
Great pics.  Was this all scratch built?  Awesome

Almost all of it was. I used a piece of jewelry and some premade vines and barrels but all of the foam and woodwork was done by me, mostly with an exacto knife.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 12:05:15 PM by PineyPhantom »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »
What a great castle! Top work on the foam if you mainly used a knife.

I like the army too - I’ve always struggled with stories to go with my units, I think too mechanistically so it is great to see this approach.

I notice you have some gaps in your movement trays - if you want to hide the brown base you could cut some inserts to fill the gaps - these could just be out of card or foam, and texture like your figure bases?

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2022, 12:54:31 AM »
What a great castle! Top work on the foam if you mainly used a knife.

I like the army too - I’ve always struggled with stories to go with my units, I think too mechanistically so it is great to see this approach.

I notice you have some gaps in your movement trays - if you want to hide the brown base you could cut some inserts to fill the gaps - these could just be out of card or foam, and texture like your figure bases?

I have a TON of extra bases and really do keep meaning to make fillers for the gaps on the trays, but I never can decide on *how* I want to decorate the gap fillers, so I never seem to get around to it.

Honestly, it would help me to think more mechanistically because I got my but kicked twice in a mirror match against some Haradrim posing as kingdoms of men, but that's Fortune for you I suppose.

I attempted to smash the Haradrim's center with the weight of my chivalry while archers on the far hill pelted the southlander left into submission.

We did indeed crush the enemy center...only to get held up for the rest of the game by an enemy troop and a mighty hero, while the archers couldn't seem to do anything but miss against the pike horde advancing on them.

In the end, I always seemed to roll just below what was needed, and the game ended with a fairly cinematic flash of glory as my band of heroes stood in the center of the field surrounded by enemy army elements. My wizards did great work lobbing fireballs every which way but in the end it wasn't enough to squeak out any unit breaks. So much for our first foray into the desert!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2022, 09:27:59 AM »
Since I last checked back in here you've done some incredible work - Westwall is stunning! It instantly evoked Daubeny's fortress at the start of For Honor. Really, really cool work there. I can't wait to see some photo reports with it.

Out of interest, how are you planning to use it? KoW has siege rules from 2nd ed, but you might find a more freeform game like Lion Rampant or SAGA allow you to get more out of the unique terrain.

Really inspirational, I'm 100% more motivated to get cracking on my own fortress now. Thanks for sharing.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2022, 10:14:13 AM »
Since I last checked back in here you've done some incredible work - Westwall is stunning! It instantly evoked Daubeny's fortress at the start of For Honor. Really, really cool work there. I can't wait to see some photo reports with it.

Out of interest, how are you planning to use it? KoW has siege rules from 2nd ed, but you might find a more freeform game like Lion Rampant or SAGA allow you to get more out of the unique terrain.

Really inspirational, I'm 100% more motivated to get cracking on my own fortress now. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I tried to design it to be usable across game systems, hence some blockiness for KoW but my playgroup and I are looking at branching into SAGA after Erehwon fell flat. Gonna have to check out Lion Rampant, that one is new for me.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2022, 06:54:00 PM »
I’m assuming the battle report is KoW from the size of the units. Some thoughts, but I will caveat them with most of my KoW playing was back in v1.

In KoW charges and flanks are key. Lining up your high strength units vs enemy medium to high armour is important, otherwise you are wasting your strength if you attack Def 3 units. I never found knight hordes much use, just too big a footprint - I think they have become cheaper since v1 so may be more tempting.

A Troop that won’t break is always annoying - but is just part of the game.

With KoM you have lots of options so can really go with what ever style of army suits your narrative - loads of cheap tat can work well, as can the more expensive stuff. But given the breadth of units even facing a mirror army it may not be that much of a mirror!