Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:46:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Piney's Fantasy Carousel: Cities of Sigmar/Old World Dark Elves  (Read 24201 times)

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: The Second Songs: a medieval army for all games
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2022, 11:40:32 PM »
Oh, I just meant mirror faction-wise. My deployment game as far as lining up targets is pretty strong (usually) but my opponent used my locally (in)famous "scrying gem/the captain" combo against me which I usually eke an advantage with against me. I then proceeded to not roll a single waver or nerve check two games in a row. I'm not a blame the dice guy but when 32 attacks hitting on 3+ consistently miss against a unit of fanatics some weird honking math is happening lol.
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »
Really impressive stuff here. I completely agree with wanting a unique army that is for for many systems. My KoW army started as a SBH warband and grew from there based on whatever minis caught my interest and fit the narrative.

Your castle building skills are superb also.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2022, 12:20:49 AM »
We did a little test siege. I won handily because neither of us understood the Kings of War siege rules. We had a hard look at what was intended out of them and how to use them effectively with such a unique terrain piece, so the next time I won't get off nearly so easy. This was my favorite shot so I decided to test my new batrep-making program with it.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
Great shot mate. Loving the character and spirit you're putting into the Second Songs.

Not to sound like a total evangelist, but you might also want to check out Oathmark and particularly Saga to get the most out of your Second Songs if you're going to go the narrative route with them. Both systems offer a lot in the way of thematic scenarios and campaign mechanics that are a lot of fun.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2022, 10:03:45 AM »
No need to worry, we are just waiting for our Saga books to ship!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2022, 01:27:22 AM »
A friend of mine got the SAGA: AoM book and we started playing and well...let's just say I got into it reeeeeeeal deep. I made my own dice, and then I decided that wasn't enough. I needed to go the Full Monty.

@Knight-Captain Tyr, I promise I'm not following you around like a lost puppy, but I decided I too needed my own thematic battle board for the Company of the Second Song. I used the Masters of the Underearth for my rules but needed a not dwarf or rat man look to things.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2022, 03:40:52 PM »
Well this is just brilliant.

I don't take any credit for the idea of reskinned battle boards - yours is all your own and looks fantastic. I especially love you made your own dice - are you actually getting custom ones made or just sticking paper symbols on existing dice?

How are you finding Underearth so far? They require a bit of finessing but can be absolutely deadly. Chasm (or Bodkin Storm for you) is really good for area denial.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2022, 08:56:10 PM »
Well this is just brilliant.

I don't take any credit for the idea of reskinned battle boards - yours is all your own and looks fantastic. I especially love you made your own dice - are you actually getting custom ones made or just sticking paper symbols on existing dice?

How are you finding Underearth so far? They require a bit of finessing but can be absolutely deadly. Chasm (or Bodkin Storm for you) is really good for area denial.

I'm making wooden dice! I've got the symbols drawn out, and I'm going to try and do some woodburning and maybe some leather dye for a rustic look. I haven't yet played underneath but I got a few games as Vikings in so I can weigh my options. I wanted a few test games before committing to a faction since I am apparently going to all this extra effort with accoutremonts.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2022, 09:23:10 PM »
Really cool battle board there. Also, I love the pictures on the previous page - that castle is awesome!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2022, 12:05:28 AM »
Really cool battle board there. Also, I love the pictures on the previous page - that castle is awesome!

Thankee much! I'm really proud of that castle. Making that was definitely a watershed hobby moment for me where I went from saying, "I couldn't make something that cool," to, "I'm good enough to make the coolest terrain piece of anyone I know."

The battle board has been fun, because I've been learning some basic image editing software which feels nice. I've never thought of myself as tech literate, but it just goes to show you how hobby can expand your horizons!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2022, 12:23:11 AM »
Here are a few fun little pieces from before I went the whole hog and built Westwall. This post is a bit of a long one but it chronicles everything I built and painted over the summer.

My other teacher friends and I got to play a lot of KoW over the summer and my personal goal became no more bland tables. So to go along with my baggage train, I painted some incredibly okayish tents. I loved what I was able to do with bits to make the tent sites more lived-in and vignettish but the tents themselves and the basing of the whole pieces absolutely need redoing.

Where I had real fun was making the camp cook site. My best friend/archnemesis on the tabletop gave me his spare troll bits, and I was able to make a fun little goat shambles and a cook's assistant who drew the short straw and had to toss last week's refuse.

I one day mean to green stuff some guts slopping out of the carcass, but I need to up my molding skills first!

No one wants clean-up duty after a thousand chevaliers had at the fish stew! That's Lent, baby!

I use warcry wound tokens most of the time for games to mark damage because I feel like they're less disruptive to the game visuals than dice, but I hated moving all those little tokens around. So, inspired by Sean Sutter's excellent game Sludge, I made some gore tokens to carry my gore tokens! I used wall spackle for the churning mud. Simply spreading it around with my finger made an excellent rough texture that bits stuck into like a charm. I tried to use hacked limbs, axes, and shields to tell tiny stories with the pieces.

Finally, a joke piece, but something of the army mascot. During one game months back I fielded an owlbear who, shall we say, did not perform on the field before fleeing in ignominy. Somehow a joke came about that the owl bear was actually a man named Thom who shat himself in fear at the sight of the enemy, hence the beast's poor performance. After hours of ribbing, I resolved to turn my foe's mockery into action and behold, "Shitting Thom, Unluckiest Man in the Company" was born. He's something of an analog to Private Jammy of Fable III fame. It looks like he has a touch of the bloody flux no less, the poor bastard.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 12:24:42 AM by PineyPhantom »

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2022, 10:36:29 AM »
This week, a return to storytelling-centric battle reports! These games were back in the spring of 22, so I apologize for the wait, but my intervening discovery of how to use Canva has made the results well worth it. Enjoy!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 12:34:13 AM »
Building a castle was too much fun. What's a tumbledown castle without a tumbledown chapel to go along with it? Let the planning begin!

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2022, 01:14:40 AM »
Finally putting up a Dramatis Personae all of the new characters for the Company that I've painted up. A couple are Footsore. No kitbashing, but I loved the sculpts so much I had to use them as is. Representing the Captain is of course Sir William the Marshal, a personal hero of mine and the inspiration for the company's paint scheme. You can read what the men of the Company know about him below. What's good mercenary fiction without a mysterious leader figure who can read Fortunata at a glance?

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2022, 10:56:42 AM »
Next up, is the Company's chaplain, Bishop Odo. My play group's unnamed shared setting is somewhat reality-adjacent, hence the presence of Christianity in a world wholly divorced from ours. In reality, it gives me a chance to evoke imagery and literary devices from the middle ages while worldbuilding without things feeling wonky or having to construct a new religion to write around.