Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TFTB & CF Sleepy Hollow & Tarrytown Buildings (Killian WIP)  (Read 18105 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: TFTB & CF Sleepy Hollow & Tarrytown Buildings (Firewood Prep)
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2022, 08:27:26 AM »
Sounds like a fine evening… producing some miniature magic. 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2022, 12:59:55 AM »
Beware of trusting the microwave to sterilize such things. I tried at length with some black beans, which I wanted to use as sandbags; the weevils inside them, sealed in by heavy undercoating, paint, and varnish, settled down to a happy feast. It appears that the wavelength of kitchen microwaves is too large for life-forms under a millimetre or so, and thus doesn't boil up their water content. If your twigs were damp, and therefore came out of the microwave oven too hot to handle, you may have killed infestations with ambient boiling; otherwise, you'd better soak them in alcohol.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:45:30 AM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2022, 02:28:02 AM »
Good to know on the weevils, eek. 

After spraying the twigs with industrial vinegar, I dried them by the furnace.  Then nuked until they were hot to the touch.  My goal is to nuke them up until just before the point of sight or smell of smouldering wood (and poised to hit the stop button when that point is reached).

I've used this technique before on  twigs and not had any bad results, but may not have had any infestations yet that really needed the full cooking.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: TFTB & CF Sleepy Hollow & Tarrytown Buildings (Killian WIP)
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2022, 05:38:31 PM »
Work is progressing on the Killians' Cabin and Small Barn.  These are similar log cabin construction, so doing them at the same time keeps the modelling and painting unified.

These are both kitbashes of Charlie Foxtrot kits.

The walls of the original kits are plank construction.  WIth Xacto knife and shop file, I've widened the grooves to make a more log cabin appearance.  The movie buildings have planed logs, not full round ones, so this was a straight forward conversion.

The L-shaped Cabin splices together a New World Cabin and Kitchen model.  The big chimney has been assembled and filed to round the corners; field stone detailing will be added later after the final roof details are fitted.

When splicing the floor pieces together, I scribed plank detail in and moved the locking tabs to line up with where they would fit with the wall pieces. 

Planking details on the interior walls are simply drawn in with a ball point pen after spray painting.

I assembled the walls of the house and the main roof structure.  Now that those are glued and the chimney fitted, I can proceed with adding the final roof pieces and get a solid fit.  Once the roof is all assembled, then I can proceed with shingling both buildings.

The house will also have a front porch with steps.  Actually, I'll just go with one step up to the porch so I don't have to raise the house too high for the overall balance.  My bash has a reduced footprint from the movie one, with only one window on the front wall, rather than a center door flanked by a window on each side.  So with the smaller frontage, I don't want to raise it too high and give it a towering appearance.

With the house assembled, I'm now fitting and gluing the raised foundation pieces and will spray paint these before attaching and doing the final puttying and detail painting.  The corner magnet clamps shown in the assembly pic are invaluable tools for this sort of thing.

I don't have a pre-painting and assembly pic of the small barn, my phone was on the phritz during that time.  This was a much simpler conversion of an Eastern Front Cabin kit.  Swapped the placement of the front door and rear window to get a center door, and added a hayloft door above it.  After cutting out the door frame from its original location, I then cut out a similar sized chunk of wall with the rear window to do the swap.

Because this is Sleepy Hollow, each roof has a little sag filed into it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 05:44:49 PM by Cat »