Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wales 1, Pictland 0: Midgard battle report  (Read 2395 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Wales 1, Pictland 0: Midgard battle report
« on: March 26, 2022, 08:18:05 PM »
I’ve been busy developing my Midgard set of wargames rules over the last few months and my chum Pete, who has recently taken up gaming again, expressed an interest in collecting a Welsh force for the 7th century. While he was busy getting the new Gripping Beast plastics on to the painting table, I pulled out my metal collection for a game with him. Seeing as it was designed as an introductory game, I thought it’d also make a good battle report if you’re interested in Midgard.

While we often play historical scenarios, this game was a straightforward battle. I put together two forces – Welsh and Picts – with a total of just over 300 points apiece, adding a dash of mysticism with both forces containing a wise woman and bard for inspirational purposes (you can play Midgard on a scale anywhere between ‘straight historical’ and ‘high fantasy’ by choice of units and traits). This gave us the following armies:

WELSH OF GWYNEDD:

5 x Heroes (Prince Cadwaladr – Army Commander and Major Hero; Brochmael and Belyn of Lleyn – Minor Heroes; Marchlew – Champion; Gwenyfach – Wise Woman)

2 x Teulu (Welsh nobles on foot)

1 x Mounted Teulu (Cadwaladr’s bodyguard)

6 x Welsh Spearmen

1 x Skirmishers with Bows

PICTISH RAIDERS:

4 x Heroes (King Bridei – Army Commander and Major Hero; Talorcan – Minor Hero; Drust – Champion; Brianna of Skye – Wise Woman)

2 x Mounted Nobles

1 x Pictish Nobles on Foot

5 x Pictish Spearmen

3 x Skirmishers with Bows

At the borders of the Pictish lands, marked by a standing stone, Cadwaladr (Pete) deployed his Welsh to block the invaders. Seeing that a battle was now inevitable, Bridei sent out his personal battle-smiter, Drust, to issue a challenge to the enemy. Despite being no more than a champion, Drust was known as the deadliest blade in Pictland, carrying his grandfather’s sword from the time of Magnus Maximus. The challenge was immediately taken up by Brochmael of Gwynedd. The armies watched in fascination, expecting a mighty duel, but it was brutal and short; aided by my appalling dice roll rolling, Brochmael took Drust’s head off with a single swing of his sword. This boosted the morale of the Welsh no end as they gained more Reputation tokens in their goblet. Battle was on!

The full battle report is too long to post here, so please have a look at the blog post for further words and pictures: https://mogsymakes.net/2022/03/26/wales-1-pictland-0-a-midgard-battle-report/

Suffice to say that the game swung both ways before the Welsh carried the field by a very narrow margin of victory and the Picts scarpered.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Wales 1, Pictland 0: Midgard battle report
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 12:40:51 AM »
Nice looking game.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 08:39:45 AM »
Pretty, & I do like your movement trays.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 10:39:30 AM »
Lovely.  :-*

I must have a closer look at such hairy terrain mats; my terrain boards are beggining to be very worn in the edges.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 04:49:47 PM »

I must have a closer look at such hairy terrain mats; my terrain boards are beggining to be very worn in the edges.

Thanks!  I got rid of my boards a few years ago, I enjoy having mats with no gaps.  Your collection would work really well with one.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 09:52:44 AM »
Gorgeous stuff James.

Do units take 'hits' in Midgard...how do you track a unit's state?

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 03:45:31 PM »
Gorgeous stuff James.

Do units take 'hits' in Midgard...how do you track a unit's state?

Thanks!  Units in Midgard have up to four stamina points that are tracked in whatever method you like. I’m using white shield markers in place of figures, so in this case, the unit at the bottom has taken two points of damage.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 04:20:18 PM »
Those armies look so good!! can't wait to get my Romano British onto the table later this evening with the rules!

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 04:23:36 AM »
@4 stamina points.

Got it.

What do you think sets Midgard apart in depicting battles of this era, which to some, can see a bit tactically dry aka same troop, styles of fighting style, etc.

I rather like Dan Mersey’s leadership points concept in Dux Bellorum…what does Midgard bring us to the table?

Cheers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 10:40:02 AM »
Those armies look so good!! can't wait to get my Romano British onto the table later this evening with the rules!

Andy, are you playing James? It would be a lovely spectacle to see your Romano Brits face off against James' Welsh or Picts.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 11:03:21 AM »
Andy, are you playing James? It would be a lovely spectacle to see your Romano Brits face off against James' Welsh or Picts.

I played Andy MacTaggart (whose Saxons look lovely!) Pictures next time!!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 12:48:18 PM »
I played Andy MacTaggart (whose Saxons look lovely!) Pictures next time!!

Can't wait Andy  :)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 08:52:05 AM »
What do you think sets Midgard apart in depicting battles of this era, which to some, can see a bit tactically dry aka same troop, styles of fighting style, etc.

I rather like Dan Mersey’s leadership points concept in Dux Bellorum…what does Midgard bring us to the table?

Cheers

Apologies for the late reply, it's a great question.  Midgard is really about heroic leadership.  I liked the Leadership Points concept in Dux Bellorum but wanted something more personal, where leadership is linked to individual heroes rather than an abstract value for the whole army.  Heroes in Midgard have 'Mighty Deeds' that are expended to keep discipline and inspire their warriors, as well as fight single combats and perform heroic feats.  They receive a certain number of Mighty Deeds each turn but players have to make the decisions on how to use them - and once battle is joined, you have to make some difficult choices as there won't be enough to do everything. 

You can model a well-organised and led force with a number of high-level heroes who will have plenty of leadership available, or a poorly-led one with a few low-level heroes.  Heroes can also be personalised with character traits to model different types of leader (including seers, soothsayers and wizards if that fits your setting). 

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »
Simply gorgeous! Beautiful figures!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 04:05:28 AM »

This is a nice looking mat.  Which  company makes it?

In line with James' comments I will just add that the game plays as easily and quickly as rules like Dux Britanniarum, Dux Bellorum or Dragon Rampant.  There is a real emphasis on heres.  In my last game we had heroes slain in combat and in duels.  You have to decide do you keep your leaders back to allow more control of units or do you throw them into the fray?  Due to their combat prowess and the inevitable situations of desperation or consolidating success you will always end up with heroes in combat.  Great set of rules.