Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Working Through the Pile of Dwarves  (Read 3662 times)

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
Working Through the Pile of Dwarves
« on: March 29, 2022, 08:32:51 PM »
After over 20 years of gaming with a reasonable number of miniatures my painted collection only contained 2 Dwarves! But after a chance "one off" figure I'm starting to make headway into the collection I've been hoarding over the years.

The one that started it off - A dwarf miner from Heresy Miniatures. Simple to paint up and with a good characterful scowl. Even has a pencil behind his ear.

And a trio to truly get the ball rolling. All picked because they are clothed in mostly chainmail to speed things along. I'm not sure about the manufacturer of the first lad. Old and slotta based he is. His spear tip was damaged and fell off, which is why it looks a bit lop sided.

The Middle fellow is one of the new(-sh) range from Ral Partha Europe that they've been adding to over the last couple of years. I've been in on their Kickstarters for these so have quite a few more that need attention.

The final fellow is an old 80's Citadel figure. He's ended up a bit wide eyed, which actually fits with the painting styles I've seen from that era so oddly appropriate. He's also got a great big heed!

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
Re: Working Through the Pile of Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 08:39:14 PM »

The next 3 done contained some characters. The King and Wizard are both from Ral Partha's new Dwarf line, and the guard is from the as yet unidentified (but familiar) manufacturer with quite a few more in the Dwarves box to come.
The King actually comes with a separate shield, hence his left arm position, but I preferred this look without. He's in this position through fighting merit rather than family ascendancy!

I just couldn't get the Wizard's left eye painted properly, some sort of subconscious block on my part, so I decided to go whole hog in another direction and give it a spell effect type paint job. Not the most subtle but certainly effective (or at least an effect).

And if anyone can throw me a bone on the range the guard comes from I'd be super grateful...  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:45:35 PM by arabianknight »

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 08:43:26 PM »

And to complete the progress so far here are some ranged options. The 2 crossbowmen are from Ral Partha's newer range and a much older archer. With more material on show on these models than the other more armoured troops already done I've settled on a rough green and white quarters colour scheme. Keeping it a casual theme rather than a uniform will help keep them use of the models flexible.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 08:57:27 PM »
I love the archers. They are like, verbatim what my teenage brain pictured Terry Brooks' dwarves in Shannara as looking like.
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 07:54:07 PM »

More foot soldier options, all with axes. I thought I'd do a painted helm as I'd seen it recently done in a forum\group somewhere and hadn't thought of it myself. Not sure if it's a bit grand for this level of soldier but no matter.

Far left figure is again an oldie that I still can't ID the manufacturer of, whilst the other two are from Ral Partha again. All keeping the green\white theme running.

Offline Morts

• Student
    • The inane blog of ramblings and musings of a grammatical challenged and easily distracted gamer .....
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 08:26:18 PM »
The far right is an Harlequin/Black Tree Design Dwarf by Kev Adams.
Nice job on those by the way.
Morts

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 09:22:46 AM »
The far right is an Harlequin/Black Tree Design Dwarf by Kev Adams.
Nice job on those by the way.
Morts

Fantastic, thanks, Mort.  :)

I knew they were familiar to me but I'd forgotten about the Harlequin \ Black Tree range. I've quite a few more to do of them so now I feel one less itch!
Cheers

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 05:53:03 PM »
Yeah, I recall seeing a few of these when I was perusing the Black Tree Design webstore.
Very nice job with the stunties, if I have to pick favourites those would be the great-axes.

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 03:14:52 PM »

A single figure to keep the run going, another Ral Partha Dwarf. His outfit is a bit whiter in real life. Obviously he's a bit of an outlier as far as usual fantasy dwarf style goes.

Truth be told if I was looking through the website to make an order I doubt if I would ever have bought this figure, but he was in the Kick Starter that I backed. And am I ever glad he was - I would have been missing out!! Great fun to paint a simple style with a fun character. So happy with it and he'll definitely be in future warband rosters.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 01:27:09 PM »
nice paint-jobs on some great figures.

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »

The new Dwarf Dungeoneers Kick Starter arriving at my door has meant that there has been a bit of Paint Queue jumping going on. These two are from this new line (obviously). I love the back pack and equipment they have on them. They are ideal adventurers for RPGs and campaigning games IMHO.

The lantern also tempted\compelled me to have another bash at some OSL, even after the ho-hum results of my previous effort. This time I'm much happier with the result, a result of experimentation and educated guesswork more than anything. We'll see how my next attempt goes (there are a few flaming torches in the pack!)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 04:26:54 PM »
It is good to see "adventuring" type models coming back around. Packs, bags, weapons, spare kit, lanterns, iron spikes, more weapons and always a 10ft pole  ???

All the stuff we load our characters down with in RPGs. Makes painting more time consuming but adds a lot more "life" to a character figure.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 06:52:43 PM »
The ninja dwarf is utterly ridiculous but you really have done him beautifully.

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 12:39:09 PM »

A bit of old and new with a new era Ral Partha Dwarf soldier and a classic Citadel Dwarf Champion. The soldier is just a basic colour scheme so will mix with any force. The old Champion was great to paint with that iconic hand topped helm (which is metallic not as brown as the picture). I hate doing shield as I can never think of what to do within my skill levels, so I'm happy with my third attempt - a sort of weave design.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 09:14:13 AM »
I am too nonplussed when it comes to painting shields: “do I paint it normally or do I go for a freehand? And what I could I draw??”