Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690597
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Resin STL prints - you bloody what!  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Resin STL prints - you bloody what!
« on: March 29, 2022, 09:47:28 PM »
I've just asked for a quote to print three files from the Antenocities USCM kickstarter.
My £100 pledge about 3 years ago would have resulted in 5 resin models.
I have just conveted to STL files, and now have 4 vehicles, a walker and 5 drones, from small aircraft-sized down- all pretty spiffy models/files, so a good outcome I reckon.

Being slightly naive/stupid, I googled a printing service in London, they print at 0.05mm in SLA Resin, and complete in 3 days - I was expecting this to come at a premium.

What I wasn't expecting was that the parts for two 28mm vehicles and a smallish drone would cost £492!
At that quality, a single one of those wheels is £14 and a hatch is £9.60.

I am fully aware that Im of an age where I reminisce about spending the night in the pub with (just about) change from a tenner, so I admit Im out of date/touch/my mind, and this might actually not be much over the going rate.

These are sci-fi models with losts of angled, flat slabs and curves, so striations are going to completely bugger these up for me - example, the Buffalo:

So, Hive Mind:

- what should I be looking at to get closer to £30-40 for a single vehicle?
- can I get resin for anywhere near that sort of price?
- if not (answer Im expecting) what material should I be looking for?

And lastly, as someone must have been here before, can anyone recommend a UK based printing service?

Thank you kindly.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Resin STL prints - you bloody what!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 10:16:17 PM »
I've heard of 3D printing services being dear to the point of ripping one off, but this is beyond even that to be honest  :o

I'm sorry; I do not know any affordable services, especially not in the UK, but if all else fails, you can get a good resin printer plus cleaning/curing unit for about GBP250,- and a liter of quality resin for GBP30,-, which will last you probably that entire range of models  times three, plus change (provided they're hollow and not solid).

I got mine, an Elegoo Mars 2 from ALiExpress and it worked like a charm right out of the box; no tinkering required. Which is great, because I was not looking for yet another hobby to occupy my all too dear time.

Alternatively, you might want to check if there is anyone you know with a resin printer who might print your files for the cost of the resin...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 07:32:31 AM »
I would second Daeothar here. For that money you could even get a 4k resin printer. I have a anycubic photon mono x and it is worth the money. But be aware that 3d printing is a hobby in itself so a bit time consuming.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 09:05:44 AM »
I'd second (third) the others here, For that cash just buy yourself a nice elegoo! you'll be set up and running in about 15 minutes.
3d printing services tend to charge more for time than material by the looks of it.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 09:08:47 AM »
Like Tom and Daeothar, I suggest that you buy a resin printer and print your own.

It will be less than the cost of these prints.

I have an Anycubic Photon and the Wash and Cure machine - cost was less than £300 for the machines.

I would guess that you could print all 2 AFVs and a small drone with 500ml of resin that will cost about £20.

If you do decide to print your own PM me - I can give you some tips.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 09:22:13 AM »
And another - just buy the printer recommendation

I to have Anycubic Photon, but would recommend the Elegoo route, Photon is good, but the product support from Elegoo is by far the better if you actually did have a problem to raise to the manufacturer.

There are plenty of people here with good knowledge etc you can lean on if you are unsure.

And its certainly cheaper overall, but may lead to you printing other stuff to.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 10:03:08 AM »
Yep, buy one. That's ridiculous money.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:01:58 PM »
 Could Jed from Atenocities not print them for you?

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 06:32:19 PM »
Slightly off the wall suggestion, but have you looked at whether local libraries/civic centres or suchlike have 3D printers to 'hire'?

Not as barmy as it sounds - where I used to live the local library had a 3D printer and you could pay to use it to print your own files. I couldn't advise on quality relative to home 3D printers or whatnot, but might well be a cheaper option if you're just looking at a few things.

Offline noggin2nog

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 06:56:02 PM »
I also backed that kickstarter (for £125 worth of 15mm models), but have held off taking the STL files as I was hoping that Jed/AW would eventually start casting again, and I would actually receive my models.
This is looking increasingly unlikely now, so if you do have any luck finding a reasonably priced way of having them printed, please let us know. (I am very reluctant to drop another £300 on a printer/resin, etc, just to get a dozen models to add to my collection).

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 07:37:30 PM »
I have no idea of costs etc, but this company was mentioned on the forum recently - https://iron-dragon.co.uk/. They say they will print your stuff if you have the rights etc.

Wouldn't do any harm to drop them a line. I have a model I'm working on just now, and was thinking about trying them rather than Shapeways when I'm ready to print it

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 08:41:59 PM »
Thanks for the responses all.

Now you all mention it, Ive read plenty of posts/blogs and yep, buying a printer would be an option for that money.
It is fleetingly tempting, but space and especially time is tight for me (I work away), and my kids aren't quite old enough to be press-ganged into after school drudgery on my behalf - the bibery costs would be bankrupting.
I'm probaby not going to be tempted until - if ever - they become plug-n-play.

....but have held off taking the STL files as I was hoping that Jed/AW would eventually start casting again.....This is looking increasingly unlikely...I am very reluctant to drop another £300 on a printer/resin, etc, just to get a dozen models..

Snap. I got to the point where I thought the switch to STL's was the only way I was every going to get anything out of that KS. I just thought printing services would be equivilent, or perhaps a bit cheaper, than buying a physical product.

Could Jed from Atenocities not print them for you?

Given the KS updates, Jed/AW is not in a position to cast these, and since the STLs are not physical models in the AW store, Im not even sure that molds exist. Shame, as the Antenocities resin I have is ecellent quality. I suppose I could ask, but guess that a custom cast would be very similar to that print cost.

I have no idea of costs etc, but this company was mentioned on the forum recently - https://iron-dragon.co.uk/. They say they will print your stuff if you have the rights etc.

Ah - good shout that man - they look a lot more hopeful. Im guessing that most companies on the first couple of pages of Google are insudtrial operations aimed at buisnesses rather than the hobby market.