Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:53:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bit of help on the Size Nick Lund's various Orcs?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Bit of help on the Size Nick Lund's various Orcs?
« on: March 30, 2022, 11:07:09 AM »
Nick did a lot of orcs between Chronicle, Citadel and Grenadier stylistically they are all similar but what about size wise?.To give it a bit if context I'm building some 2nd edition oldhammer greenskins in particular I'm quite enjoying collect the old Regiments of Renown.

So in this case I'm trying to workout how big EEZA UGEZOD’S MOTHER CRUSHERS are. As regiments of Renown go the they seem pretty common on the second hand market and I'd quite like to buy some and supplement them with other Lund sculpts.

But which sculpts best fit size wise? The Citadel Lund black orcs? The orginal chronicle black orcs?, the grenadier giant orcs? Or the normal Grenadier orcs? Any help gratefully received  :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Bit of help on the Size Nick Lund's various Orcs?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »

This should help a bit! When my phone recharges, I'll send a more detailed comparison pic.

From left to right: original Chronicle orc/black orc; Grenadier orc (now available from Forlorn Hope and Mirliton); Mothercrushers' champion (bigger than the troopers); Grenadier giant orc.

Basically, the Mothercrushers work perfectly with the Citadel black orcs (the bigger, slottabased ones) and Eeza Uzegod's Death Commandos. They also work fine with the normal Grenadier orcs, although those tend to be a bit smaller (and more crouched). The Citadel types - including the Mothercrushers - generally look like the biggest and toughest of the bunch, but they work well together.

The original. solid-based Chronicle orcs (later renamed black orcs) are very small; barring the odd champion, they'd look lost on 25mm squares. I base them on pennies. The Chronicle hobgoblins would mix in fine with the Mothercrushers if you like a bit of facial and tonsorial variety.

The Grenadier giant orcs are absolutely huge - bigger than some of the Chronicle and Citadel ogres! But they can all work in the same units if you like a bit of variety. If you're basing them on 25mm squares, though, some of the giant orcs need a bit of thought about ranking up.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 11:36:52 AM »
Much thanks Hobgoblin. Some the first miniatures I ever owned were the Chronicle orc/black orcs ( painted for me by my mum lol) and I remember them being small. My main thinking was Black orcs tend to be sculpted bigger but if they fit with the normal Grenadier ones that would easier, and cheaper, than trying to source old Citadel ones

The Regiment of Renown description for the Mother Crushers mentions they occasionally use chariots and wolf riders so I should be able to use the Grenadier wolf riders as well. Also the grenadier orc generals chariot is very cool and might look even cooler with Eeza Ugezod  in it  :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 02:13:08 PM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 11:37:04 AM »
OK, here are some more comparison shots.

Just to confuse things further, some of the Grenadier (Forlorn Hope) goblins are just as big as the orcs and (in my view) mix in well.

Photo 1: (L to R) Citadel/Chronicle black orc; Grenadier (FH) goblin; Grenadier (FH) orc; Citadel/Chronicle black orc; Grenadier (FH) goblin; Grenadier (FH) orc (with banner); Citadel/Chronicle black orc. The C/C black orcs are the same size as the Mothercrushers.

Photo 2: the Mothercrushers' champion; original Chronicle orc/black orc; Chronicle ogre; Grenadier (FH) giant orc.

Photo 3: EM4 plastic orc (Copplestone in the style of Lund); Citadel/Chronicle black orc; Grenadier (FH) orc; Citadel/Chronicle black orc; Grenadier (FH) orc; Citadel/Chronicle black orc. (Grenadier giant orcs in the background)

Hope that helps!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 11:41:07 AM »
Much thanks Hobgoblin. Some the first miniatures I ever owned were the Chronicle orc/black orcs ( painted for me by my mum lol) and I remember them being small. My main thinking was Black orcs tend to be sculpted bigger but if they fit with the normal Grenadier ones that would easier, and cheaper, than trying to source old Citadel ones.

Yes, indeed - and the difference really isn't huge. They look just fine all ranked up together, and throwing in the odd giant orc leader or champion will alter the perspective still further! The cheapest option, of course, are the EM4 plastics!

The Regiment of Renown description for the Mother Crushers mentions they occasionally use chariots and wolf riders so I should be able to use the Grenadier wolf riders as well. Also the grenadier orc generals chariot is very cool and might look even cooler with Eeza Uzegod in it  :D

Yes, the Grenadier wolf riders are quite big compared with the infantry - they'd definitely match the black orcs. The Chronicle wolfriders are nicer, though - and they add another dimension to the discussion, as they're bigger than the original Chronicle orc infantry but not quite as big as the black orcs!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 02:10:28 PM »
Thanks again Hobgoblin that is great info really appreciate your effort. Right I'm off to start spending tomorrow's paycheck.. lol