Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cover the Retreat Scenario AAR - Great Escape Games 1914 Rules  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
We used Great Escape Games 1914 rules with my 'old' Pendraken 10mm Figures for a game last Monday.

The Russians launched (in true 1914 style) a massed attack with their whole six battalions on the German centre. Their artillery was in the rear for support. The Germans remained in 'hidden' status until the last moment.

Once the Russians got close the Germans opened fire! Their fire was accurate but despite losses the Russians were able to get three battalions into the town and secure the bridge in turn three. They also diverted a battalion and launched an unsuccessful flank attack on their left.

Turn four and at close range both side took heavy casualties but by the end of the turn though the Russian losses exceeded their Break Point and the game was over. A German Victory!

German losses: Seven Bases out of 16
Russian Losses: 14 Bases out of 26

There's more details, the OOB's, more pictures and a summary on the TSOG Blog…
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2022/04/cover-retreat-scenario-aar-great-escape.html

Some pictures from the night...

A battalion of Russians take hits as they move forward with the 'blurry' German line in the background.

The Russian artillery had no direct fire targets so commenced a bombardment of the enemy line, they had some successes but on one occasion hit their own troops! They totally forgot the option to fire smoke that could have been helpful in such a frontal assault.

The German General and his staff note their new fangled 'motor'!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Cover the Retreat Scenario AAR - Great Escape Games 1914 Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 04:46:30 PM »
Good to see GEG 1914 getting a run out - we played quite a number of games with these rules 18mths or so ago, but ultimately switched to ITLSU which we definitely prefer.

Regarding order allocation - we didn’t find this a big problem - but the players tended to go for a fairly even split. As we were playing remotely, I assigned tokens to each command on a single sheet for both sides then put these against units as they activated. Generally worked - though occasionally I would pick up the wrong stack!

One thing in the rules, I couldn’t find was anything around what HQs actually do in the game?

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 10:35:30 PM »
Thanks Fred!

We like the rules and will stick with them because for our WW II games of the same scale we play GEGs Iron Cross rules (very underrated and very under developed but we have fleshed them out) too so using these allow us continuity of rule sets between the two periods. We really like the interplay with reactions so the turns are very fluid.

Re HQs you can use their Commands to give Units that may have expended all their own tokens extra actions in the turn (especially rallies!). We rarely see an even split of Command Tokens as players tend to want to press ahead or allow extra defensive fire at various point of the line.

Haven’t tried ITSLU, I have got my mates using TFLs CoC but their card driven games like Mud & Blood and IABSM etc are not popular (even though I like them).

We’re always trying new rules as I said on the blog and we want to test FS2CS with the same scenario, we hope FS2CS may service all our 19C big battles needs for our Monday night soirées 😊…

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 09:50:19 AM »
It will be interesting to see the comparison between this GEGs ruleset and From Shako to Coal Scuttle (FS2CS). The latter appears to be based on a commonly held misconception that the early battles in 1914 mirrored the line formations and other tactics of earlier periods. This image is a composite that I created showing three battlefields to the same ground scale (Waterloo, Mars-la-Tour, and Mons). Each battle had roughly the same number of men but you can readily appreciate the vastly increased frontage in 1914 compared to the Napoleonic and Franco-Prussian War examples:

Robert

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »
Thanks

Wasn’t clear on the commander question - is was more what does the model on the table do - I noticed one of yours was displaced by enemy action. But we couldn’t find any rules on enemy interaction with command stands.

I think playing remotely the players didn’t really make good use of the interrupt mechanism. I’ve have played Iron Cross before (probably with different friends) and we really enjoyed that. The mechanism seemed to suit that style / size of game more than the WWI regiment sized game.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 12:06:46 PM »
Great graphic Robert