Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:54:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Vs Moros  (Read 1277 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Spanish Vs Moros
« on: February 12, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »
as i know that, like me, many of you also like exotic and in any case " out of the beaten path " conflicts i want to share this find
even if in Spanish, so maybe not understandable by many non latin gamers, this old book book downloadable in 3 PDFs parts that belongs to
the digital library of the Spanish Army (which include also some other very good stuff to download from many periods) is very interesting ; it relates the almost unknown campaigns carried out also by spanish troops against the Moros fanatics  in the Philippines..the 3rd part PDF is of pictures only and is also interesting...they seem to have employed above all native troops many of them uniformed like the 28mm  1898 Miniaturas

https://bibliotecavirtual.defensa.gob.es/BVMDefensa/es/consulta/resultados_ocr.do?id=26809&forma=ficha&tipoResultados=BIB&posicion=2

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 06:45:29 PM by italwars »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: Spanish Vs Moros
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 05:48:13 PM »
Looks like 1898 Miniaturas may be ready to make some. This was on their FB page.
Mark

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 01:15:09 PM »
I love the Moro campaigns, but sadly have only gamed scenarios involving the latter U.S. involvement. That has been due 100% to no English background available on the Spanish involvement, which as you said, is extensive and probably richer. I would love to start having a reason to get the Spanish units available from 1898, but not until I see enough English translations to allow me to competently put together a number of scenarios.

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 02:58:44 PM »
Italwars I did not see this post in February.  What was the title of the book? The link goes to an expired search. I put in Moros for a new search but did not find anything like you are talking about. This is very fascinating. I keep looking for those Moros to show up on the 1898 webstore. Thank you for your reply ECWCAPTAIN,otherwise I'd never have seen the resource.
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »
hello
yes it seems that the llink with the books has elapsed
by the way i found those ones again:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Historia_de_la_pirater%C3%ADa_malayo-mahometana_en_Mindanao%2C_Jol%C3%B3_y_Borneo_%28IA_historiadelapira01mont%29.pdf

https://bibliotecavirtual.defensa.gob.es/BVMDefensa/es/catalogo_imagenes/grupo.do?path=29971&posicion=1&config_rotacion=90

https://archive.org/details/cincomesesenmin01ogoog

last there is this osprey type concerning Spanish battles Vs Moros of he earlier period 1847..with some nice colour plates above all of natives and some diagrams

https://www.amazon.com/Filipinas-1847-1851-Antonio-Mart%C3%ADn-G%C3%B3mez/dp/8496170373

some illustrations ..the ones with conical hat were the regular native btgs  "penal btgs" that spearheaded as a sort of cannon fodder the Spanish attacking colunms Vs Moros...quite similar to some Philippines rebels produced by 1898 Miniaturas..other more regular Btgs were recruited among Philippine Christians and they are exactly those produced by 1898 miniaturas with floppy straw hats, rayadillo and bare feet..still not found except during a pict from a parade in Manila any evidence of native troops with cork helmets but they are some contemporary illustrations as the ones above ..i remenber that Old Glory produce some Spanish for the US/Spanish war of 1898 in pith helmets..in those secondary front of the main Philippine Rebellions that ended just prior the US invasion the European  Spanish troops sent to fight against Moros were less frequent than natives even if every column had a small european presence...a small gunboat flotilla was also employed..landing operations with shore parties made out of Spanish sailors  were also carried out Vs Moros...from what i read, and contrary to US sources dealing with later periods, the Moros battling against Spanish sported a great pourcentage of firearms and employed more or less effectivly their vintage home made small artillery called Lantakas. in fact more pitched battles and conventional attacks on fortified moro villages than those ambushes and bolo attacks from the jungles that are described in the interesting books in English such "swish of the Kriss" dealing with the late wars against US/Philippino constabulary.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:52:49 PM by italwars »