Forum > Model and Miniature Photography

Tips for Taking Pictures of Miniatures with Modern Cell Phones

(1/4) > >>

ignis-fatuus:
So let me preface this post by saying that I do not own any fancy photography equipment. Down the line, I may invest in a decent camera and lens, but at the moment it's out of reach. As I get back into painting I'd like to share my work and process with the community but I've been having issues with the way my pictures are coming out when using the camera(s) built into my cell phone. I have a theory that it has something to do with the color magic my phone's software employs to make photos appear brighter and the color more vibrant. What I've been noticing, however, is that layering and shading effects of the real-life painted miniatures comes out oddly distorted in the photo graphs. Unless it's a trick of the eye, or sloppy painting work on my own behalf, I am wondering if there are any setting that might be used to get a photograph which better captures the painted miniatures.

Doug ex-em4:
What make and model of phone is it? Someone with the same model may have more info.

Doug

Shahbahraz:

--- Quote from: ignis-fatuus on April 02, 2022, 10:19:31 PM ---So let me preface this post by saying that I do not own any fancy photography equipment. Down the line, I may invest in a decent camera and lens, but at the moment it's out of reach. As I get back into painting I'd like to share my work and process with the community but I've been having issues with the way my pictures are coming out when using the camera(s) built into my cell phone. I have a theory that it has something to do with the color magic my phone's software employs to make photos appear brighter and the color more vibrant. What I've been noticing, however, is that layering and shading effects of the real-life painted miniatures comes out oddly distorted in the photo graphs. Unless it's a trick of the eye, or sloppy painting work on my own behalf, I am wondering if there are any setting that might be used to get a photograph which better captures the painted miniatures.

--- End quote ---

yep, i have had the same issue with my Samsung S10 since an update 6 months ago, it seems the camera software tries to compensate for 'flaws' in the picture and completely flattens all the highlights and shadows on the mini. I haven't found an answer yet, so if you do, please share it!

swiftnick:
No photography tips really but I bought one of those little fold out lightboxes for my computer. Really useful for getting a good bit of light on individual or a small group of figures.
For action shots I downloaded snapseed to my phone. This really lets you play about with the pictures. I prefer a sort of oversaturated comic book effect.

ignis-fatuus:

--- Quote from: Doug ex-em4 on April 04, 2022, 04:24:33 PM ---What make and model of phone is it? Someone with the same model may have more info.

Doug

--- End quote ---

Lately I've been using a Samsung S20. After doing a bit of digging I've found that there are other camera apps (Lightroom, etc.) which allow for much finer camera controls. Out of the box the camera app seems to do a lot of color adjustment behind the scenes. I will have to play with different phone apps. So far the adobe apps seem to work well, but I think you need to have an adobe account (I could be wrong in this).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version